Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up the Astra at my local shop, but my Eagle eye at a gun show spotted the Colt Junior.

They look better than the pic, some weird lighting makes the frames look colored - but in person they're almost perfect, especially for 40-50 year old pocket pistols.

I'd also like to add they both are great little shooters, and I enjoy showing them off.  Kind of impractical, but they are nice examples of vintage vest pocket pistols.  I'm always amazed that the Astra cycles the action with .22 SHORT!  The Colt is a must have once you get the Astra.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps he is like my elderly Uncle who is 88 years old.  He is tight with his money and already owns a little Mauser .25.  When they started breaking in cars and sheds around his northern VA neighborhood he looked all around the area and finally found a box of .25 acp at a pawn shop somewhere.  
He won't buy another pistol - he's already got that one and its easy to carry.  If this is the case, I would at least make sure he had reliable ammo and that the pistol will cycle reliably as well.  It might be all he'll use.

A controlled pair to the grape with one of those at 5-10' range would be most discouraging.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I consider a .32 to be minimum.  I almost think a good knife and Fox Labs is better than a .25.

Someone once said that in a knife fight, everyone is gonna get cut.  I would much rather have any gun over a knife.

I have always been intrigued by the .25 acp and would recommend a Beretta if it's truly the only option for a caliber.  My personal favorite deep concealment gun is a Keltec P32, P3AT, or Ruger LCP.  Much more effective in a similar sized gun.

The .25 IS reliable in a good gun though.  Much more so than a rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I just love tiny guns, and don't feel the need to justify them to anyone. I would never recommend a .22 or .25 for carry though, unless they were all you had.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad owned a gym in a real shit neighborhood years ago. A woman down there took a single .25 round to the chest and it killed her on the spot. Its not my first choice but its better then nothing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A .22 is better than a .25 energy-wise.

flawed reply.

centerfire always fires, unlike rimfire.

.22 when fired out of a similar length barrel as a .25 produces less velocity.  therefore less energy than the .25.

.251 hole vs .223 hole.

by the way when i worked in a hospital e.r. i saw several who were retired with the lowly .25.

when appropriate i carry a beretta 950 in .25 acp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

is wrong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Agreed

For the recoil-sensitive, a .32 would be a better option, I think.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was my first thought. Maybe a Beretta 21?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
glock 26 is about the same size as a j frame but lighters
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Better than a pointy stick. .380 is the minimum.

lol

.380 is a pointy stick

For PD, 9mm +p is the minimum.

(ETA - This thread is full of complete failure.)

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 74 year old dad is talking about starting to carry his, he thinks his J frame is too big/heavy for his pocket.

Just a couple of questions.  Is this his only reasoning for the .25 ("I only have two guns, this one is too heavy.  Done.") or is there a concern about recoil/controllability?  Is this pocket-carry-only in his mind and are we talking jacket pocket, front pocket, back pocket?  It sounds like nitpicking but it can narrow down options.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my first thought. Maybe a Beretta 21?

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!

But ARFCOM told me that .45 is superior to .40 because it makes a bigger hole even though several .40 loads have more energy.

hahahaha, now that I've stirred the shit a little, carry on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am getting him to look at the little 32 or 380 kel tecs, but I want to have this information for him too.

I appreciate any serious information.  I know, I know, it's a .25.  It's like a weak BB gun, etc.

Before you buy I would recommend letting him rack the slide.  The Kel Tecs can be a little bit hard for somebody with arthritis or weak hands.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
A .25ACP is never my first choice, although when I had to use one it worked just fine.  The little P.O.S. FIE .25 was all I had that would conceal in my shorts that day, and I was glad I had it when some crackhead holding a tire iron demanded money in a parking structure.  So I pulled out that little FIE and pointed it at his face and he ran away.  For me it was a better choice than going hand to hand.

I've since replaced it with a Kel-Tec P32.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#18]
.380ACP is IMHO the smallest caliber I would ever use for self defense, and I would tend to favor FMJ to hollow point.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
My mother-in-law owns one.

Her daughter, my wife, "owns" my S&W Model 28 N-framed .357 Magnum.
"BIG holes, no stupid buttons like your auto's" is her reasoning. God, I love
this woman.

In this respect, she takes after her Daddy, who totes a S&W 686 snubbie
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
When I'm 74 I'll give my HiPower to my ((74*.5)+10) 47 year old girlfriend and tell her to get practicing.

I'd feel better carrying a 32 oz shop hammer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Colt Junior that I can slip into my pocket even though I,m 5-7 and my pockets are not that big.  Ran across it for cheap and picked it up for long term keeping.
After inspection and test firing just couldn't store it and it's been in a pocket holster with me every since.
I think of it as a backup to my folding knife. I'm too old to fist fight.
BTW unlike every other .25 I've ever shot, this one is actually dependable.
All concealed carry is a compromise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I finally bought a Baby Browning yesterday to add to my collection of little semi-auto pistols.  It was suggested by several to go along with my Colt Junior .25 and Astra Cub .22.

I'll get a pic up in a day or two.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not syaing they arn't effective, but on Cops one time, they showed a kid shot in a drive by with a .25 and it didn't go through his jeans, he had a small round bruise and the bullet was found on the ground.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top