Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I think we should continue scientific research - just like spliting the atom, this research can be used for good or evil.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If human cloning means livers, hearts, kidneys, lungs and the like for people who need them I vote yes. If it means another Billy Bob Clinton or the like, shit can it now.
View Quote

Sorry, but I don't think you can get one without the other. You can tell people not to clone people, but if you develop the rest of the uses for cloneing to the full the technology will be there just waiting for someone willing to break the law to use.  Or someone will just take it overseas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with teaching kids that homosexuality is acceptable behvior.
View Quote

there is if it's something i don't want my kids being taught by someone else.  it's MY decision to teach them about those kinds of things, so that i can teach them what i want to about those kinds of things.  i ain't sending my kids off to a school where they're supposed to be educated so that some dumb schmuck and push a political agenda on them, especially when i don't agree with that political agenda.

but this isn't about homosexuality, is it?

This is why this topic was out of place in the original post. The other two I agreed with.  You assumed that your dislike for homosexuals was as much of a shared belief as the other two topics. I called you on that assumption.
View Quote

no this topic was perfectly placed as it is an example of something i am against.  therefore, i used it to show how utterly ridiculous the "it'll happen anyway" argument is.  i'm not going to stop fighting against something i'm opposed to just because "it'll happen anyway, jenn".  and i don't give a rats ass if you share that belief or not.  in fact, you need share only one of the beliefs set forth in the examples i posted for me to prove my point.  i merely listed multiple examples because the argument is strengthened when i can show that it applies equally ridiculously to many examples rather than just one.

Quoted:
Glad to see you tihnk I should be dead. Using this logic, ALL transplants that are being done now are bad also. And what IS the idfference between saving a life, and increasing lifespans? When you save someone's life, I'd say that you just increased their lifespan.
View Quote

god, what is with you people putting words in my mouth tonight?  are you that desparate for an argument that you have to stretch what i say to fit your ill-conceived arguments?  my god, give it a rest.

as for you comment, i think you took my statement a bit too literally.  i'm not against organ transplants.  i am against transplant after transplant after transplant.  i am against replacing organs time and again like you would an oil filter on a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, and if those people were "meant" to have children, then they'd be able to. period. nature has a way of protecting its own. there's a reason some people are infertile.
View Quote

What does that mean?

I don't see what's wrong with people using technology to help them have children.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah, and if those people were "meant" to have children, then they'd be able to. period. nature has a way of protecting its own. there's a reason some people are infertile.
View Quote

What does that mean?

I don't see what's wrong with people using technology to help them have children.
View Quote

i guess you'd have to be at least quasi-religious to understand the irony in her statement.

she and her husband were infertile.  naturally infertile.  her fault, his fault, nobody's fault.  point is they were infertile.

after fertility treatments she's pregnant with 7 children.  (mutliple birth rates skyrocket among women who use fertility treatments.)  it was suggested that some of the eggs be removed to increase the chance of successful terms for the remaining ones.  she declined.  then after all 7 are born she was asked that question.

the irony is that if God truly wanted her to have 7 children, wouldn't she have been able to have them naturally?  the irony is subtle and it's not to be taken too literally (i think you might have).

don't get me wrong, i'm not opposed to people using fertility treatments per se.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with teaching kids that homosexuality is acceptable behvior.
View Quote

Define "wrong".

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Define "wrong".

View Quote

And "acceptable". [:D]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not even going to read anyfurther than the original post. Absolutely NOT!!!!

There is no way that this is right. We are talking about the unnatural creation of life. There is a reason that we were given the ability to reproduce. That reason is simple, REPRODUCTION. In fact I retract that, as reporduction will become the PC term for cloning. Think about it.

Human beings and animals were given the means for procreation as a device to preserve the species. This is the way thing were meant to be and the way they should be as well. We have definitely managed to preserve the species so far, and to the point that we are in the process of over populating the planet, cramping eachother to the point that idiotic wars are now quite commonplace.

Oh wait, here is a great new idea, let's go outside the boundaries of nature, increase the population further for NO good reason, allow people to live for 150 or 200 years by replacing worn out body parts like you would a car, and call it progress. This is the product of a society so blinded by "progress" that we cannot see the lack of necessity. I have to change my sig line, cause I have definitley rethought it.

I won't even mention the additional strain on our diminishing natural resources, (no I am not a tree hugger, but lets not make what is a real situation worse).

Cloning is WRONG!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top