Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 3:46:35 AM EDT
I don't have a link to this.

Dog breeder jailed for animal cruelty

Associated Press April 09, 2002 FRANKLIN, Ind. -- A dog breeder convicted of using office scissors to cut off the ears of two pit bull puppies was sentenced to one year in jail.

In a bench trial, Johnson County Magistrate Court Judge Richard Tandy convicted Fabian Elisea on Monday of cruelty to animals and practicing veterinary medicine without a license.

Tandy then sentenced the 23-year-old Indianapolis man to the maximum term for the Class A misdemeanors, with no suspended time or probation.

"While it's on my watch, I'm not going to permit this to happen -- even if you think it's common practice within the county or within the dog-breeding and training arena," Tandy told Elisea.

Elisea testified that he crops his own dogs' ears in his pit bull breeding operation.

When William and Shawn Stratton of Franklin offered to sell him two puppies from a nine-week-old litter, Elisea offered to crop the dogs' ears.

Witnesses testified that Elisea taped the puppies' mouths shut and legs together, and cut off the ears with office scissors.

Shawn Stratton testified that her house "reeked of blood" after the procedure.

Dr. Edward O'Connor, a veterinarian who examined the puppies, testified that no sutures or glue were used to close the infected wounds. He called Elisea's ear-cropping "most inappropriate."

Animal-control officials seized both dogs and put them up for adoption.

Elisea defended ear-cropping as commonplace among pit-bull breeders. He called no witnesses to back up his claim.

"I've been doing this for about three years," he testified. "Nobody ever said nothing but 'It was OK."'

Elisea testified he numbed the dogs' ears by using an over-the-counter antiseptic and anesthetic first-aid spray.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What a bastard.  How about someone crop his ears using an OTC anesthetic after binding him with tape.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
He fails the Voight-Kampf test.  Retire him.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
He went to jail for doing something that vets do regularly?

practicing veterinary medicine without a license
View Quote

OK, if you can put someone in jail for the above, then almost every single farmer I know should be in jail.z
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
This guy is living proof that we should engage in social darwinism: One should have a minimum IQ before being allowed to propagate the human species.

In short: He should have been a BJ!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He went to jail for doing something that vets do regularly?
View Quote

I think vets do it a little more clinically.  Is this how they do it??

Witnesses testified that Elisea taped the puppies' mouths shut and legs together, and cut off the ears with office scissors.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top