Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2001 11:57:53 PM EDT
My vote is a tie....I say Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis. They both had the brass to fight for what they believed in...no focus groups, no polls...just solid belief and personal conviction. This country is a better place because of both of them. (Although history will only give credit to Honest Abe)
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to almost worship Lincoln, but the Clinton years changed my opinion of any president who took such an expansive view of his own powers. Plus, so many problems we are having today with centralized governmental power are directly traceable to Lincoln wrecking our original system of true federalism. Lincoln was right about slavery, of course. But the South was right about everything else.

I favor Tom Jefferson now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
thomas j. gets my vote as number1,then nixon and please flame away on my number2 choice.
boxer
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Teddy Roosevelt.  Not necessarily just for what he did as president, though he did some very good things, but just for the fact that he was one hell of a guy.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Washington or Teddy Roosevelt.

Reagan was the best in my lifetime. Too bad he is responsible for the "no new machine guns" law in 1986 and the forfeiture clause in the war on drugs.

Two very big, black marks on his presidency.

Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Teddy Roosevelt had to be THE pro gun president, although that was a lot easier in his time.
Don't forget Reagan also took a bullet and didn't go apeshit about guns afterward.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Washington because he established the precedent of stepping aside, unlike most other colonial revolutinaries.
Eisenhower
[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
TEDDY was the best. Any pres who would have a shooting range on the white house grounds is all right in my book!
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Teddy Roosevelt, any man who gets shot before giving a speech for the candidacy and goes on with the speech for an hour is allright in my book
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
George Washington, he was the only man who didn't want to be president. He never sought after the office; the people wanted the famous general to be president.  Certainly not FDR who got rid of the gold standard and started a fiat money system
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Three way tie:  James K. Polk, Martin Van Buren, and William Henry Harrison.
(no, but really, Thomas J was da man.)
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I think teddy roosevelt.Was a hunter and outdoors man.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
1.) G. Washington.  A true warrior patriot.
2.) T. Jefferson.  More than anyone else laid the intellectural and moral foundation of our nation, but his presidency wasn't quite what Washington's was.
3.) T. Roosevelt.  The personification of strength, courage, and bold, brash leadership.

Since were talking about U.S. Presidents, Jeff Davis doesn't quite count, but I respect and revere him as much as any of the three listed above.

Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Teddy he was the first president to realize what a world power we were to become.In other words he didn't take crap from anybody!
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Ronald Reagan is the greatest President of my lifetime. And by the way, he didn't 'take a bullet'. It was a metal sliver from the limo that the bullet ricocheted off of that struck him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Only NIXON could go to China, get caught doing what they all do, and still have balls enough to resign for the good of The People and our Country.  He was a tough sumbitch.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Thomas Jefferson "by the Constitution" strict constructionist
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top