Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I like the way they look, however I've always had the understanding that they were really not all that great of a plane... They did used to be blue angles though... hmmm maybe my perspective is skewed.

No they were a real dog.  The only fighter ever operated by the USN, USAF, and USMC simultaneously, over 5000 built, served on US military active duty for 36 years.  Still holds several low altitude speed records.  Could carry 24 500 pound bombs, or missiles, or any combination of fuel tanks/missiles/bombs.  All weather air to ground capability, a dozen specialized variants.  Still in service with many foreign air forces around the world.  

Sounds like a real piece of shit to me.  The F-4 was a maintenance pig, but in its day it was the best tactical aircraft in the air, period.  If they weren't so expensive to keep in the air (engines were a POS, mostly) we'd still have them on active duty in several roles.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Fuuuuuckkkkk you...A-10

Is there one on the centerline, or did they punk out and hang a drop tank?

If it's set up like Chico the Gunfighter, there are five - yes, five - 20mm Vulcan cannons hung under that aircraft.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Kontum was a very scary place. I've seen a couple Arclights from the ground that dropped while I was well inside the exclusion zone.

I think when you look up "Not fucking around" in the dictionary it directs you to  B-52.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I like the way they look, however I've always had the understanding that they were really not all that great of a plane... They did used to be blue angles though... hmmm maybe my perspective is skewed.

No they were a real dog.  The only fighter ever operated by the USN, USAF, and USMC simultaneously, over 5000 built, served on US military active duty for 36 years.  Still holds several low altitude speed records.  Could carry 24 500 pound bombs, or missiles, or any combination of fuel tanks/missiles/bombs.  All weather air to ground capability, a dozen specialized variants.  Still in service with many foreign air forces around the world.  

Sounds like a real piece of shit to me.  The F-4 was a maintenance pig, but in its day it was the best tactical aircraft in the air, period.  If they weren't so expensive to keep in the air (engines were a POS, mostly) we'd still have them on active duty in several roles.

The engines were state of the art in their day.   Over 17,000 built, with a couple of thousand still in service 50yrs later.   They can't be compared in terms of fuel efficiency or performance to modern computer-controlled turbo-fan engines.   But they were the pinnacle of mid 20th century mechanically controlled turbo-jet engines.   The design earned the Collier trophy in '58.   A long time back, but high praise at the time.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
While stationed at Raf Lakenheath I worked in weapons release.  I still love those F4's.  We repaired the birds that came back from Thailand and other places that were shot up.  I hand cranked tons of rounds into those pods.
20mm's and the mini guns. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures from back then.

Just think, back then we probable could have built our own guns with the spare parts.  LOL
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Sadly a lot of them have become target drones over time :( But a great plane
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
Oregon ANG F-4
http://www.wingweb.co.uk/wingweb/img/450-McDonnell_F-4C_Phantom_ll.jpg

Massive fail.

The Happy Hooligans are out of Fargo, North Dakota.

The 119th Fighter Wing, also known as the "Happy Hooligans," began operations with the F-51D in 1947.
Happy Hooligan pilots flew the F-51D until 1954, the F-94 A/C from 1954-60, the F-89D/J from 1960-66, the F-102A from 1966-69 and the F-101B from 1969-77.
In 1977, the Hooligans began flying the F-4D Phantom, accumulating more than 51,000 hours from 1977 to 1990 without a Class A mishap.
Converting to the F-16A in April 1990, the Hooligans flew an additional 30,000 accident-free flight hours.
In March 1999 that the 119th Fighter Wing converted from an air defense mission to a general purpose mission with 15 F-16A/B aircraft while activating an alert detachment at Langley AFB, VA.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to realign Hector International Airport Air Guard Station, ND. The 119th Fighter Wing’s F-16s (15 aircraft) would retire.
In 2007 they retired the last of their F-16's and now pilots C-21A aircraft and performs MQ-1 Predator operations.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
Oregon ANG F-4

Massive fail.

The Happy Hooligans are out of Fargo, North Dakota.

The 119th Fighter Wing, also known as the "Happy Hooligans," began operations with the F-51D in 1947.
Happy Hooligan pilots flew the F-51D until 1954, the F-94 A/C from 1954-60, the F-89D/J from 1960-66, the F-102A from 1966-69 and the F-101B from 1969-77.
In 1977, the Hooligans began flying the F-4D Phantom, accumulating more than 51,000 hours from 1977 to 1990 without a Class A mishap.
Converting to the F-16A in April 1990, the Hooligans flew an additional 30,000 accident-free flight hours.
In March 1999 that the 119th Fighter Wing converted from an air defense mission to a general purpose mission with 15 F-16A/B aircraft while activating an alert detachment at Langley AFB, VA.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to realign Hector International Airport Air Guard Station, ND. The 119th Fighter Wing’s F-16s (15 aircraft) would retire.
In 2007 they retired the last of their F-16's and now pilots C-21A aircraft and performs MQ-1 Predator operations.

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
FFFFF the F-4.  This jet has no integral gun. pffft.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Flying brick.

Loved that aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first assignment was to an F-4 base (Bergstrom AFB). What a great plane.

I went to the last airshow there before it became a commercial airport.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFFFF the F-4.  This jet has no integral gun. pffft.

Gun was added to the F-4E
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I finally get to use this...

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F15 is a beautiful aircraft (it's one of my favorites), but the F4 just screams "I'm gonna fuck you up."

*Exception is made for a fully loaded Strike Eagle.

I looked on Wiki for a pic to illustrate how badass a Strike Eagle is and I found this pic there.

Ah....I see you found the "FIST OF JUSTICE"  Check out what the WSO is holding up....it's a freaking fist-her dildo!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Lived within a mile of Glenview Naval Air Station 1957 to 1969, could see them every day in the 60's They were a big jet compared to the A-4 SKyhawk.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
There are still some flying down in Panama City Beach, I saw one two years ago.

They are out of Tyndall AFB:

53d Weapons Evaluation Group

The 53d Weapons Evaluation Group (53 WEG), is an Air Combat Command tenant organization that reports to the 53d Wing (53 WG) at nearby Eglin Air Force Base. Among its subordinate squadrons at Tyndall, the 53 WEG manages offshore weapons ranges over the Gulf of Mexico, manages target drone programs ranging from sub-scale targets to a fleet of QF-4 Phantom II full-scale aerial targets (FSAT) and serves as primary manager for the annual U.S. Air Force Air-to-Air Weapons Meet and competition known as "William Tell".

Additionally, all of the Air Force's Air Battle Managers are trained at Tyndall. The Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency is headquartered at Tyndall and a branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory's Materials and Manufacturing Directorate also has facilities at the base.

They use them for drone targets

82nd Aerial Targets Squadron

The 82nd Aerial Target Squadron at Tyndall and Holloman AFB (Detachment
1) operates the Department of Defense's only full-scale aerial target
program, maintaining an inventory of 50 modified QF-4 Phantom II
aircraft for this purpose. It also provides BQM-34 and BQM-167 subscale
aerial targets to gulf range customers at Tyndall AFB. Full- and
subscale aerial targets are provided to Air Force, Navy and Army
customers for developmental and operational tests. The squadron also
provides target support for the Air Force Weapon System Evaluation
Program, the Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, and William Tell. The
squadron participates in the Air Force Heritage Flight Program with the
venerable Phantom. The squadron also maintains three 120-foot drone
recovery vessels and two smaller patrol vessels to recover aerial and
support range safety and salvage operations. Squadron members also
operate the Air Force's only two DeHavilland E-9A "Widget" airborne
surveillance/telemetry relay aircraft. These aircraft provide ocean
surface surveillance and relay missile and target telemetry for
over-the-horizon coverage of the Gulf Range and also support over-land
telemetry missions for WSEP at Holloman AFB and the UTTR near Hill AFB,
Utah. The squadron is a mix of highly experienced contract personnel and
active-duty Air Force personnel. Detachment 1, 82 ATRS, Holloman AFB,
New Mexico, operates and maintains a portion of the QF-4 full-scale
aerial target fleet for use on the White Sands Missile Range. In
addition to Air Force programs such as the F-22, AMRAAM, AIM-9X, and
F-35 the detachment also supports Army surface-to-air programs and
foreign military customers as well.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are still some flying down in Panama City Beach, I saw one two years ago.

They are out of Tyndall AFB:
53d Weapons Evaluation Group

The 53d Weapons Evaluation Group (53 WEG), is an Air Combat Command tenant organization that reports to the 53d Wing (53 WG) at nearby Eglin Air Force Base. Among its subordinate squadrons at Tyndall, the 53 WEG manages offshore weapons ranges over the Gulf of Mexico, manages target drone programs ranging from sub-scale targets to a fleet of QF-4 Phantom II full-scale aerial targets (FSAT) and serves as primary manager for the annual U.S. Air Force Air-to-Air Weapons Meet and competition known as "William Tell".

Additionally, all of the Air Force's Air Battle Managers are trained at Tyndall. The Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency is headquartered at Tyndall and a branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory's Materials and Manufacturing Directorate also has facilities at the base.

They use them for drone targets
82nd Aerial Targets Squadron

The 82nd Aerial Target Squadron at Tyndall and Holloman AFB (Detachment 1) operates the Department of Defense's only full-scale aerial target program, maintaining an inventory of 50 modified QF-4 Phantom II aircraft for this purpose. It also provides BQM-34 and BQM-167 subscale aerial targets to gulf range customers at Tyndall AFB. Full- and subscale aerial targets are provided to Air Force, Navy and Army customers for developmental and operational tests. The squadron also provides target support for the Air Force Weapon System Evaluation Program, the Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, and William Tell. The squadron participates in the Air Force Heritage Flight Program with the venerable Phantom. The squadron also maintains three 120-foot drone recovery vessels and two smaller patrol vessels to recover aerial and support range safety and salvage operations. Squadron members also operate the Air Force's only two DeHavilland E-9A "Widget" airborne surveillance/telemetry relay aircraft. These aircraft provide ocean surface surveillance and relay missile and target telemetry for over-the-horizon coverage of the Gulf Range and also support over-land telemetry missions for WSEP at Holloman AFB and the UTTR near Hill AFB, Utah. The squadron is a mix of highly experienced contract personnel and active-duty Air Force personnel. Detachment 1, 82 ATRS, Holloman AFB, New Mexico, operates and maintains a portion of the QF-4 full-scale aerial target fleet for use on the White Sands Missile Range. In addition to Air Force programs such as the F-22, AMRAAM, AIM-9X, and F-35 the detachment also supports Army surface-to-air programs and foreign military customers as well.

See the top of page 2.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top