User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[
You know Stormy,

it is not often I find myself agreeing with you, but this is one time I agree 100%

dave
View Quote

LOL.....Thanks Dave!!!  I feel the same way about you!!!

Cheers!!

Quoted:
Mach1,

I feel the same.  Over the years I've gotten where I can't even step on a bug.  I've never understood those who kill beautiful animals and then hang their heads on the wall.

That doesn't mean, though, that I wouldn't hunt to survive, or kill worthless vermin to protect my family.
View Quote

Umm Marv.....I have yet to find a good recipe for deer skull soup.  When I do I will stop mounting heads.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Just how does the herd/flock remain healthy??  HUNTING thats how!!  

View Quote

I know hunters that hunt for food, others that hunt for the thrill of the hunt, and others for the thrill of the kill; but I don't know any that hunt to help keep the herd healthy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I know hunters that hunt for food, others that hunt for the thrill of the hunt, and others for the thrill of the kill; but I don't know any that hunt to help keep the herd healthy.
View Quote

Did I say that this was the ONLY reason???  NOPE!!!

However it is the truth.  This is why we have game laws.  Controled hunts. Doe only seasons.  Limits on the sex of animals we kill.

This is why we only hunt MALE turkey in the spring....

See it all makes sense when you learn just a tad....
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Since I seem to be the king of tagging the last post onto a thread, I will be content to rule the bottom.

Here is my .02 on the subject.  I hunt feral hog and deer.  It took me 5 years of freezing and feeding mosquitos to get 2 bucks last fall.  I can fill the freezer with hog meat almost any time that I like.  

I go for the experience and the company.  I enjoy the camping, sunrises, wildlife, campfire cooking, and talking with my Uncle more than getting game.  That almost seems like work.

For many years, I hunted with my Uncle, never firing a shot.  It got to the point where we began to call it "Hiking with malice of intent."

Anyway, here is what I do.  After I take ANY game, piggies included, I say a prayer of thanks for the meat to feed my family and for the animal that gave it's life to that end.  This is just the same as saying grace before dinner, just a little earlier in the process.  I feel better about it in the end.  

I have also taken the route of going after game using a more challenging tools.  I now have a nice Coldsteel Javelin that I have been practicing with and would like to use on a pig.  I have taken so many with rifle and one with bow that I figure this may even the odds a little.

Take care, enjoy nature, do as you wish and ignore the bullies.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Did I say that this was the ONLY reason???  NOPE!!!

However it is the truth.  This is why we have game laws.  Controled hunts. Doe only seasons.  Limits on the sex of animals we kill.

This is why we only hunt MALE turkey in the spring....

See it all makes sense when you learn just a tad....
View Quote

I realize the laws make sense.  Otherwise, hunters would just blow away the animals to extinction (not all mind you, but enough).  I'm just saying I have never met a hunter whose goal it was to preserve the herd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe you just ain't working hard enough.  Perhpas a  three week totally primitive hunt in Wyoming for a large Bull Elk in a snow storm in the upper mountains with nothing save some surivival equiptment and your wits, perhaps with a Sharps .45-110/120.  That way you have the chance of dieing too?? Would that take away the guilt???  It just sounds to me like you have outgrown your prey. You should try something tougher. That would take into account all your field craft, feeding yourself day to day, tracking, orienteering (navigation), setting up camps , fires, etc. Stalking, sneaking and taking the kill.  All the while facing starvation,freezing,falling, breaking limbs, you name it. I will gauranttee you when you get through with that and you have an Elk you won't feel one bit of remorse.

I had a friend in HighSchool who had hunted and bagged the Big Five in Africa before he was 18 years old. Although I was jealeous for that, I also remember thinking God , where do you go from there??

Benjamin
View Quote

Well, ugh,............try a satisfy a saber-tooth tiger with a handful of barbed wire while in a telephone booth?  Nah, even if I'd survive I'd still feel guilty of somethin'bout that. [:I]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Animals are gonna die no matter what... might as well make it fun for one of you!

All the reasons for hunting have been posted by one person or another here. For fun, food, or conservation. As far as conservation goes, hunting keeps animals from overpopulating. This saves them from dying due to starvation, habitat, stuff like that, since the amount of food and habitat available is spread out over a greater number of animals. It is a very evident truth when you go to a pheasant field around here during a really cold winter and see all the frozen dead pheasants.

But if it is not fun for you then don't do it. Just realize mr. moo cow got a hammer to the head to bring you that nice steak dinner. A bullet through the heart/lungs couldn't be much worse.

[edited for minor spelling mistakes]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The feelings you are having about hunting are normal.  I get them too.  That's why I archery hunt - I feel that the animal has more than a fair chance and I am just another predator in the woods looking for a meal.  I have always archery hunted big game, and now I hunt birds  and fish with my bow, too.  You get to spend a lot more time in the woods watching animals when archery hunting and it is a LOT more challenging to kill an animal (as it sounds like you have already found out).  I just find archery much more enjoyable and much more involved than rifle hunting (there is nothing wrong with rifle hunting - its just way too easy for my taste).  Hell, you can even bring your camera along and shoot some photos too.  I regularly sneak my way within 10-20 yards of whitetails and just watch them.  I have also watched some of the most entertaining animals while in my blind.  I respect the animals I hunt and about the only things that I shoot with a rifle are rhodents (bubonic plague has broken out around here before).  I even shoot coyotes and wild cats with my bow when they become a nusence.  Now two legged varmints, that's a different story...[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Umm Marv.....I have yet to find a good recipe for deer skull soup. When I do I will stop mounting heads.
View Quote

And how do you feel about the famous map of Cambodia made from the skulls of Pol Pot's victims?  I'd say they were getting a good bang for their buck, but it offends me nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Umm Marv.....I have yet to find a good recipe for deer skull soup. When I do I will stop mounting heads.
View Quote

And how do you feel about the famous map of Cambodia made from the skulls of Pol Pot's victims?  I'd say they were getting a good bang for their buck, but it offends me nonetheless.
View Quote

JESUS H CHRIST!!

Now HUNTERS are on an even playing field with the Khemer Rouge!!!

You are WAY WAY WAY off base!!!!

I happen get more pleasure out of offending people of your ilk than I ever will out of killing any deer.

Oh BTW I only have a single rack in my gun room because it was the first buck I ever shot...a 4 pointer.  

I have had plenty of chances for other BIG bucks but we are trying to improve the quality of deer on the land I hunt!!

In the mean time ......suffer!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Ouch!  I'm not trying to equate hunters with the Khymer Rouge.  Sorry if it came across that way.  However, one snide comment deserves an even bigger snide comment back.

Kinda like Itchy and Scratchy pulling bigger and bigger guns on each other, if you know to what I refer.

Say, what does the "H" stand for?  I never did figure that one out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I figured that of all places, I wouldn't hear this kind of crap here.

The idea that most hunters would just blow away anything that moves, and that they don't care about the health of the heard is hogwash.

Maybe you don't hang around enough hunters. But most of the hunters I know are ethical, and understand that part of what they're doing is helping to manage the heard.

How many times have you seen a deer get hit by a car? It's not fucking pretty. Believe me, shooting  them is more humane. Both for the deer AND for us people. Here in Missouri people are injured all the time from hitting deer because the deer population is too high due to bad management by the DOC over the past ten years.

I can't believe how many of you city slickers are BRAINWASHED about these myths of hunters being so full of blood lust.

And as far as feeling guilty about killing an animal, I also noticed that you same people will still EAT MEAT!

What a bunch of hypocritical shit!!!!!

If you realized how alot of domestic meat is raised and slaughtered, then you'd know that hunting wild game who aren't kept in tiny pens all their lives is MUCH MORE HUMANE than eating meat bought at the store.

But I guess that doesn't matter so long as YOU don't have to get your hands bloody?

No I don't like watching animals die. But believe me, I kill them in a much more humane manner than a coyote, or for that matter dying through disease.

So get off your unfounded high horses.

BTW, because of the overpopulation of does and underpopulation of big bucks around my parts, I've only been hunting does. Just trying to do my part for the herd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Marvel....just how else can you read that??

As to the H?

Hmmmm  Sure way to go defect the current debate with a well executed feint to the right with a question to which I have no plausible answer.....

Perhaps the Gman knows???

LOL
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Mach1 don't feel bad when i first got my red ryder i got into shooting every thing that would move i would shoot wasps setting,birds on the wire,.hoarnytoads, anything that would availe its self to make me a target.  I personally killed 1.000.000.00 birds of all kinds untill one day i just got tired and sickened of this sport(but all my sisters and all my kin) could never make me quit untill i personally thought what the hell this is just too easy!  Well you have just reached that stage, and now it should be you should move into shooting targets! You get all the thrill of hitting what you aim at ! In the begining when you ate what you were lucky to get a shot at! now its not that way!But shooting target should make up for any (peers imposed need to kill)  Just love to shoot,.And maybe not to take the life of something that don't need it taken!   bob cole
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Added to say all of us other guys are hunters,but if you have got sick of such ain't no big deal! I lived on 800 acers of alfalfa kept my stock off of it in the back sec. But when i drove my 3/4 ton duellie home every night i could have shot deer any night i wanted to,as they usally came there at night! But beigng a share-cropper i always had a corn fed side of beef in my freezer and only shot a deer for the chilly neck meat, loins and maybe a shoulder to smoke!  Hunting deer is checking out scrapes,trails,feed, and water hell even the many pecan tress here in the bottom. Its nothing more than a well thought out ambushe!  and if you are beyound that ambushe then its time for targets! But we are so removed from the country that sometimes we pay a lot for that chance to draw out for a hunt, so nobody would take away from you the feelings you would have to not kill that beautifull brown-eyed four legged critter. But many would scedule there vacation around drawing out for that hunt and then spending thousands of dollars for just that!   So if you are tired of killing then go to targets!  bob cole
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I find this thread really interesting as it confirms a suspicion I've held for awhile.  I have a couple of hunting friends that blew a gasket when they heard the first rifle I bought was a Bushmaster XM15.  They went on and on about how guys who own "assault weapons" gave regular gun owners a bad name.  This got me to speculate about whether people who were fans of the AR were predominantly paper shooters.  From many (not all) of the posts I'm reading here it seems like there might be something to that...  While I am here I will throw my views into the mix.  I am not a hunter, but starting this year I will be.  I will be hunting coyotes and I will be using my Bushmaster.  I have been an avid fly fisherman for over ten years and have basically put off hunting in favor of more and better fishing equipment.  I believe that taking game re-connects us to the natural order we left behind in favor of indoor plumbing, sterile prepackaged and processed foods, etc...  I do not knock anyone for not having the stomach for the honest taking of sustenance from the wilds, that being said, I do think that such people are detached from the natural order of things, and this is just my opinion, in an ultimately unhealthy and self-deluding sort of way.  I don't mean to offend, thats just the way I see it.
[peep]

I know its coming... no I will not be eating the coyotes, but I will probably be shooting and eating the deer that will be saved by taking them out of the mix!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Rokinar That ain't no assault rifle! try a hakim 8mm with a 25 rnd mg-13 mag then you got an assault rifle! Only 7.92x57 but damn sure got some range and about 157grn.  180 if you get new commercial stuff!  bob cole
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I find it amazing how Disney has brainwashed so many into believing animals are humans with fur or feathers. Or portraying all hunters as evil wife beating drunks.

Stormbringer is making all the same points I would, so all I have to add is this.

When you hunt, the money you put into it helps to protect land and save animals, when you refuse to hunt you buy cow meant, and to get that cow tons of cow shit leaked contaminates into the ground because where cattle are raised the manure is sometimes not given enough time to decompose before its spread on the fields. Also the pesticides that have to be used to protect the food used by the cows kills plants, birds insects, and gets into your drinking water.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The idea that most hunters would just blow away anything that moves, and that they don't care about the health of the heard is hogwash.
View Quote

the operative word being "most".

in a single one-month period, i came across FOUR deer carcasses.  what was left of these carcasses?  why, everything but the fucking rack!

these animals were shot and killed solely for their antlers.  it's these types of "hunters" that do damage to every other type out there.  and regretably, i would venture to say that these hunters, while in the extreme minority based on hunters numbers, kill more than their fair share of deer each year.  they have no resepct for life, no respect for hunting laws, and no respect for the health of the herd (not heard).  i really doubt they have any problem going out and blasting away as many deer as they can get their grubby little paws on.  so while their actual numbers may be few and far between, the damage they do, both to the animal populations, then environment, and the sport of hunting is immeasurable.

caveat:  i wouldn't want you to think that i support anti-hunting agendas.  far from it.  but i think it behooves hunters to recognize that there are people among you that do more damage than those outside who wish to curtail, for whatever reason, your hunting activities.

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#21]
1011202.....those aint hunters those are POACHERS...

Or would you consider the guys who committed the famous Hollywood bank robbery to be 'gun  owners"

Oh to add to scarecrows point....what about the aditives they put in cattle these days.  Hormones etc.... Not natural in the least.

I read a while ago that young girls are starting puberty earlier and earlier as a direct result.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I read your Topic title and original post.
Seeing there were 3 pages by the time I got here, I knew by page 3 the Topic and replies would probably be about something COMPLETELY different...
So, I say if you're feeling remorse about killing the animals, you aren't hunting 'HUNGRY'!!
No offense intended.
Hunt. Shoot. Kill. Eat.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I hunted when I was in my teens.  It was time to spend with my grandfather.  We would only take one deer or a few squirrel for us.  The rest went to "Hunters for the Hungry."

After he started getting sick, I stopped going out, and lost interest after he died.  I really just emjoyed being with him.  Taking the animal was anciliary.

I'll still get rid of coyotes/feral dogs, nutria, wild hogs, snakes, and sometimes even gators from family or friends' farmland, but that's not really hunting to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never hunted anything in my life. But, when I was a kid, there weren't many birds near where I lived because I'd killed them all (and lots of phone insulators too) with my trusty .22. I was 12 years when I realized what I was doing and stopped. I guess, I just grew-up!

Killing for food, pest control and the like – no problem. In my opinion, it's an entirely worthile pastime and a great American traddition!

But I find it hard to accept that people are so public-spirited animal lovers that they will spend hundreds of dollars merely to "keep the heard healthy". I mean, if that is their prime motive, maybe they are the ones who should join PETA!

If, when culling the heard, they eat what they kill – fine, no problem. If they don't, it's just a BS excuse for their desire to kill something, as far as I'm concerned. And, to my mind, says a whole lot about these individuals' sense of of self-worth and virility!

There are a lot of humans (child abusers; the freaks who skinned that puppy in Coyote's recent thread) I wouldn't hesitate to put a round through. But, to stalk and put my sights on a magnificant wild animal and kill it for the sake of it is, in my mind, just sick!

Oh, and the trophy guys – All those dead-heads hanging on the wall tell me a lot about the guy who feels the need to put them there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've never hunted anything in my life. But, when I was a kid, there weren't many birds near where I lived because I'd killed them all (and lots of phone insulators too) with my trusty .22. I was 12 years when I realized what I was doing and stopped. I guess, I just grew-up!

Killing for food, pest control and the like – no problem. In my opinion, it's an entirely worthile pastime and a great American traddition!

But I find it hard to accept that people are so public-spirited animal lovers that they will spend hundreds of dollars merely to "keep the heard healthy". I mean, if that is their prime motive, maybe they are the ones who should join PETA!

If, when culling the heard, they eat what they kill – fine, no problem. If they don't, it's just a BS excuse for their desire to kill something, as far as I'm concerned. And, to my mind, says a whole lot about these individuals' sense of of self-worth and virility!

There are a lot of humans (child abusers; the freaks who skinned that puppy in Coyote's recent thread) I wouldn't hesitate to put a round through. But, to stalk and put my sights on a magnificant wild animal and kill it for the sake of it is, in my mind, just sick!

Oh, and the trophy guys – All those dead-heads hanging on the wall tell me a lot about the guy who feels the need to put them there.
View Quote

Wow, never hunted? Got plenty of opinions on it don't we? Isn't that special?

Sick? For what reason?  It is so far from being sick. It is our nature. We are a predator. We are on top of the food chain. (well on land anyway)

I can't even begin to describe to you the first deer I killed with a bow, though I recall every moment, in slow motion, as it happened 2 minutes ago.  It is an incredible feeling, adrenaline mixed with sadness, and respect for the the prey, after taking an animal in such a primitive fashion.

It is not easy, even with a gun, to be succesful at harvesting a deer.  It requires knowedge of their habits, movements and habitat. The kill is the culmination of the hunt, and only a small part of it.  You ought to try something before you find it distasteful, or at least understand it better.  It's like kids say "What is it? I don't like it"

Why are there more whitetail deer in the US than there was 200 years ago? Why are elk being reintroduced into states east of the Mississsippi, for the first time in 100 years?

It is exactly because we hunters do care about the health of the herd, and fund it's future.  How much do non-hunter peta type contribute to wildlife compared to hunters? Pales in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I hunted some as a teenager living in rural Florida.  Gators, deer, turkeys, hogs etc.  One day while hunting on leave from the Army I decided that I didn't have fun ending the life of an animal. Have not hunted since then.  No problem with other people doing it, I just don't want to kill for the "fun of the hunt".
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't understand why people kill anything ('cept spiders). Wynn Dixie has all you could want, and cheap. But I remember, this one time at band camp, I was attacked by a rabbit. Not funny what a stinger will do to a rabbit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]
here is one thing that hasnt been brought up. their are many diffrent levels of hunting that can hardly be compaired. doves and phesants dont are very simple creatures, and dont really provoke feeling in me when i take one. and both taste so good, that i wouldnt dare shooting one with out taking the meat.

taking a large animal is a whole other thing. a deer is large, and should provoke some kind of feeling, at least an understanding of what you have done. in iowa, if people didnt take thousands of deer every season, it would be a crisis. it was bad enough a few years ago, the state had to actively incorage hunters taking more deer.

persoanlly, one of the most rewarding hunts for me is squirell. some long shots, some short shots, some fast shots, some running shots. i can sit, wait, and listen. its a great feeling. being in the woods alone, with your gun (.22) and just listening. a squirell hopping across the autum leaf covered ground sounds just like a person taking cautious steps. im never sure if its my huning buddy looking for me, of a big fat red squirell. it may be a 100 yd shot with a scope, or maybe i wait for a closer shot with iron sights. i can take sevral squirells, or just one, and its just as rewarding. the best part of all is all this can be put togeather quickly. no planning or special tags and specail dates are required. i can go when i feel like it, and home is just a few min away.

WOW, i really got goin. i cant wait for fall squirell season.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't understand why people kill anything ('cept spiders). Wynn Dixie has all you could want, and cheap.
View Quote

What the hell kind of dissociated crap is this??  Do you think WD Brand beef get there by magic??  Ever been to a feed lot??  Ever been to a slaughterhouse??  More mindless PC crapola from another mindless city-dweller.  Amazing separation from the land that supports you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#30]
There are a lot of reasons I hunt,

1) The camraderie, people joining together for a goal.
2) The quiet time away from civilization. Nothing like an early morning stalk in the falling snow.
3) Pitting my mind and skills against the animals.
4) Getting my own meat, somehow that tenderloin taste better when I gutted and skinned it. Knowing where my meals actually come from.
5) Pissing off PETA and the other horrified liberals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Just to sound off...

I absolutely love hiking, mountain climbing, the woods......anything in nature, the fewer the people the better.....the more remote the better.

I love being around wildlife. Not hunting, but just having that noble reminder that I'm nowhere near a minimall or the rat race....and out in the middle of beautiful country with those that value the space as much, if not more than I do.("They" referes to the wildlife.) I don't rag on most hunters, I just enjoy wildlife alive, enjoying their freedom.....doing whatever they please. A very admirable lifestyle if you ask me.

I also love to shoot. Love guns....primarily modern military style weapons. I'll shoot just about anything I can that doesn't breath (unless it's breaking in to my house at 3:00am). I have guns for 3 main purposes, all of which give me a great deal of satisfaction, none of which involve hunting. 1)Self defense. 2)Shooting in a variety of styles and places. 3) Tinkering, collecting and enjoying working with them.

Trust me, I'd shoot and eat [s]my dog[/s]...my neighbors dog in 2 seconds if I REALLY needed to eat. If it's me or Bambi, Bambi's gonna die. However, I have no desire to kill any animals for the sake of hunting or for any other reason.

Enjoy your guns....and if killing wildlife doesn't make you happy anymore, then just walk away from it. There's a lot of pleasure in both firearms and animals, and they don't have to be associated with one another for each to provide a lot of satisfaction.

P.S.-And yes, if I ever had to hunt to survive, I'd have no problem. I can't count how many large mammals I've been close enough to throw a baseball at. Getting close has always been part of the fun for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow, never hunted? Got plenty of opinions on it don't we? Isn't that special?

Sick? For what reason?  It is so far from being sick. It is our nature. We are a predator. We are on top of the food chain. (well on land anyway)
View Quote

Above edited by stcyr

If you hunt to eat – no problem – we are fulfilling our role as the top predator. But if we hunt simply to kill – that's a whole different (sick) ballgame – no matter which way you want to cut it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Let me start out by saying I always feel sad after a kill, whether it is a squirrel, coyote, or a deer. I have always had a soft heart in that way. This in no way diminishes the excitement of the hunt, not the kill. I say a prayer thanking God for the food or the chance to preserve food (coyotes).

However M4, I suggest that you learn what to do with bambi after you have pulled the trigger before you have to. It is one thing to say "I will take out bambi if it comes down to it" it is a completely different matter to know what to do with bambi (or preferably his mother) once he is down.

Learn the skills now while it is easy, be ready for when it may not be so easy. You say you will do it then, so practice it now so you can when the time comes.

I take approximately 3 to 4 deer every year. I donate almost all of it to friends or local shelters. But I have the skills to provide for my family if need be.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Stcyr,

I do not know anyone who hunts to simply kill, do you?

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Sure, AR15forfun, just reread this thread, you'll pick 'em out easy enough. Even the real sickies who so want you to be aware of how much they admired their proud, wild and valiant adversaries. They're the same guys who wouldn't dare let anything get nearer than 100yds before they blasted them with a $1000 rifle and $500 scope – and they have the nerve to nail the heads of their mostly, unaware victims into the wall of their wannabe Davy Crockett playroom – and it's just about as authentic!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#36]
For the non hunters & antihunters:

Look in a mirror.  See those eyes?  The forward looking eyes mean that you are a PREDATOR.

Now smile.  See those two long pointy teeth near the front, on the right & left?  They are called canine teeth & they mean that you are a PREDATOR and a meat eater.

It's your destiny.  Deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look in a mirror.  See those eyes?  The forward looking eyes mean that you are a PREDATOR.

Now smile.  See those two long pointy teeth near the front, on the right & left?  They are called canine teeth & they mean that you are a PREDATOR and a meat eater.

It's your destiny.  Deal with it.
View Quote

So you chase down you're prey and kill them by biting them on the neck?  I'm impressed. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I understand your feelings but hey, lighten up.

If you didn't shoot that animal what did he have to look forward to. Let's face it. Animals don't have pension plans or condos here in Florida.

How about a grisly death by being torn apart by predators?

Maybe starving to death or freezing to death or suffering from a broken bone?

Ther are no nursing homes in the wild.

Keep the spirit and keep hunting!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#40]
The reasons I hunt are:

Applying field craft to out smart game
To kill game
To eat game

Seriously though....I am not about to say that I enjoy the camraderie because I generally hate being around other people in the woods.  I like to kill animals.  I like being able to say I can hit a deer 400 yards away or being able to crawl on by belly wearing my ghillie suit and pop up on a ground hog from 10 yards away and shoot it with my handgun.  If I were forced to "shoot pictures" instead of guns or bows at animals then I would feel like someone cut off by balls. Even Jeff Cooper says deep down people hunt for the kill.  Hell if you hunted day after day and didn't kill anything you would probably would grow tired of hunting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sure, AR15forfun, just reread this thread, you'll pick 'em out easy enough. Even the real sickies who so want you to be aware of how much they admired their proud, wild and valiant adversaries.
View Quote

Just because someone wants you to be aware of how difficult it is to hunt these animals they are "sickies"? They are trying you educate you.

They're the same guys who wouldn't dare let anything get nearer than 100yds before they blasted them with a $1000 rifle and $500 scope
View Quote

Would you rather they be hunted with inadaquate weapons? maybe if it takes 4-5 shots to finish off a crippled animal because people shouldn't be concerned with a clean kill. I think it's fine if people want to give animals human traits, how would you rather die...starvation, disease, slowly freezing, or being eaten alive? I for one would rather take one to the chest...at least it will be fast.

– and they have the nerve to nail the heads of their mostly, unaware victims into the wall of their wannabe Davy Crockett playroom – and it's just about as authentic!
View Quote

You keep a throphy to remember the hunt, all of the hunters I know keep the rack if they manage to shoot a buck...and they also eat what they shoot.

I hunt for many reasons, and without ever being a hunter yourself, you can never hope to understand why.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sure, AR15forfun, just reread this thread, you'll pick 'em out easy enough. Even the real sickies who so want you to be aware of how much they admired their proud, wild and valiant adversaries. They're the same guys who wouldn't dare let anything get nearer than 100yds before they blasted them with a $1000 rifle and $500 scope – and they have the nerve to nail the heads of their mostly, unaware victims into the wall of their wannabe Davy Crockett playroom – and it's just about as authentic!
View Quote

I'm sorry that you are unable to see the benefits of hunting.  None of my hunting friends are there for the "kill" only. There may be a few in the world, but I would suggest they are an anomaly.

Whitetails described as [i]victims[/i]? That's a new one. Are you a Democrat?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I kill paper and nothing else.
View Quote

The voices were right there are people after me [shock]

Paper
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
However M4, I suggest that you learn what to do with bambi after you have pulled the trigger before you have to. It is one thing to say "I will take out bambi if it comes down to it" it is a completely different matter to know what to do with bambi (or preferably his mother) once he is down.

View Quote

Hey, if it comes down to it, and I end up taking an animal to eat, figuring out how to cut it up isn't a huge concern.

I'm not what you call a fussy eater. If it aint skin, bone or guts....I'll eat it. So my steaks wont be as pretty and neat as yours....BFD.....it's still food.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stcyr,

I do not know anyone who hunts to simply kill, do you?

View Quote

What a crazy thought, huh? Can't imagine anyone who hunts actually enjoying killing things......what an off the wall idea.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sorry,

I thought you knew what you were talking about. Never mind.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#48]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Look in a mirror. See those eyes? The forward looking eyes mean that you are a PREDATOR.

Now smile. See those two long pointy teeth near the front, on the right & left? They are called canine teeth & they mean that you are a PREDATOR and a meat eater.

It's your destiny. Deal with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you chase down you're prey and kill them by biting them on the neck? I'm impressed.  
View Quote

Yeah, I used to kill 'em with my bare hands but that got to be too easy.  HAHAHAHAHAHA

[;)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I sure did get in  on this one late. I'm 53 and have hunted every year since I was six. Deer, and bear walk through my yard, and I take Ruffed Grouse from under my apple trees. I love to hunt, but have friends that do not. That's okay. I don't judge them by it and they return the favor. I treat them to game dinners, or if they perfer hotdogs. I still feel sadness standing over a dead animal, and think I always will, but I will continue to hunt, it is what I do. I do not kill and leave the animal and I don't fire in anger. Each shot is thought about. Some I have to pass by so as not to just wound the animal. Hunting is a treasured part of past, it will continue to be, and we should respect each other in this. Kind of like owning guns, if you don't like them, then shit don't own 'em, but for God's sake don't judge me for it!

(can't spell)
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I understand your feelings but hey, lighten up.

If you didn't shoot that animal what did he have to look forward to. Let's face it. Animals don't have pension plans or condos here in Florida.

View Quote

How about not being fuckin shot? How's that for something to look forward to? How about living free and at least having a surviving chance from natural predation, as opposed to humans with guns.....which is about as equal of a playing field as Mike Tyson vs Gary Coleman in a 12 round fight.

I'm not anti-hunting, but to suggest that animals are better off dead makes no more sense than YOU being better off dead. Everything is relative, and to any animal, just being alive and being free is what life is all about. Pretty typical to assume that since they can't enjoy what we enjoy, their life is worthless.

Ever notice the look on the faces of most animals in the zoo? Don't look real happy to be there, do they. Gee, wonder why? Think their happiness might have something to do with freedom? Tough to have freedom when you're dead. Making a little sense now?

And no, I'm not anti-zoo.....so we can avoid the enevitable comments that would have come with that zoo statement of mine.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top