Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2010 5:11:03 PM EDT
From 1010wins.com in NYC:
Google Earth Used to Find Unpermitted Pools on LI
RIVERHEAD, N.Y. (AP)  –– A town on New York's Long Island is using Google Earth to find backyard pools that don't have the proper permits.
The town of Riverhead has used the satellite image service to find about 250 pools whose owners never filled out the required paperwork.
Violators were told to get the permits. So far about $75,000 in fees has been collected.
Riverhead\'s chief building inspector Leroy Barnes Jr. said the unpermitted pools were a safety concern. He said that without the required inspections there was no way to know whether the pools were up to code.
But some privacy advocates say the use of Google Earth to find scofflaw swimming pools reeks of Big Brother.

EDIT:

Riverhead Votes To Stop Google Earth Pool Searches

September 8, 2010 10:37 PM

<strong style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; font-weight: bold; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">

RIVERHEAD, N.Y. (AP) — Big Brother’s not watching anymore. At least not the pool.

Newsday reports that council members in the town of Riverhead have voted to stop using Google Earth to check whether all pools are properly permitted.

The town had used the satellite image service to find pools for which owners never filled out the required paperwork. Officials said the unpermitted pools were a safety concern because there was no way to know whether the pools’ plumbing, electrical work and fencing met state and local regulations without the required inspections.

The council voted Wednesday that overhead satellite images couldn’t be used as the basis or foundation for prosecutions of violations that couldn’t easily be seen from public areas

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
1984?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]

For the homeowner with a "unlicensed" pool about to be ass-raped in whatsitcalled New York:

#1  Find out when that ordinance was passed

#2  Let them know that you:

a) built it yourself

b) before the ordinance date

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Unlicensed pools are a safety concern?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes, New York is the ultimate nanny state.  No fireworks of any kind as they are too dangerous for mere mortals.  Even the "safe and sane" kiddie stuff.  Just about anything that could be considered "fun" in New York is probably restricted or banned.  You almost need permission to use the potty.

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, New York is the ultimate nanny state.  No fireworks of any kind as they are too dangerous for mere mortals.  Even the "safe and sane" kiddie stuff.  Just about anything that could be considered "fun" in New York is probably restricted or banned.  You almost need permission to use the potty.

That's why you have to go out of state for hookers.

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The town probably got the idea from a story about the Greeks doing the exact same thing to raise tax revenues. They found literally hundreds to thousands of undocumented pools.

Hmmmm....I give it 10 years...we're well on our way.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
What's to prevent them from doing the same thing with a helo besides cost?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Are requests for property/pics be removed from Google Earth granted?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was growing up, we had one of them 3 foot deep by 12 around pools we got at the waltermart, the town found out, and made us put up a fence, with a locking gate..... I wish I had pics, it was the stupidest looking thing...
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can people request for their property to be removed from Google Earth?

I know you can have the street view blocked, but I am unsure about the sat view.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Can people request for their property to be removed from Google Earth?

I don't know but I'd like them to not have my driveway as a road on maps, Streetview, and overhead photo.  Maybe I can find out if I call email them.

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Leroy Barnes Jr. said the unpermitted pools were a safety concern. He said that without the required inspections there was no way to know whether the pools were up to code..

This is what bothers me the most. Because we all know it's bullshit. IT"S ABOUT THE FUCKING MONEY! We know that, they know that, so why insult us.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Big camo net?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used aerial and sat maps to tell if someone was lying to me before.

Same here.  Actively hunting something down isn't very good "public service" but I have used it to verify what someone has said to me.  The argument I always hear in favor of it is "Well, person A did everything by the book and person B did not.  Shouldn't we be finding person B to keep things fair for person A".  

I've got mixed feelings about it but privacy is less the more things are out on the internet for public viewing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Don't forget slingshots.  Slingshots with a wrist brace are illegal here to.

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
some NY libertarians ought to put out blue tarps in their back yards
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck New York.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The sooner it dawns on you that the governments primary concerns are money and power the better you will be.

They will use all tools available to them to do so!
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The town probably got the idea from a story about the Greeks doing the exact same thing to raise tax revenues. They found literally hundreds to thousands of undocumented pools.

Hmmmm....I give it 10 years...we're well on our way.

yep, i saw that on the news a few months ago, right when Greece was going turbo.

sign of things to come??
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
so you figure the county had paid the commercial fees for google earth? or are they illegally using the freeware
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That would work until New York started requiring tarp permits.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The government must have its coin, forget what you do on your own property.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty fucking stupid since most of Google Earth sat images are 5+ years old
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why you have to go out of state for hookers.

Haha, what you did there...

I seez it, but patterson didn't.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#26]

The solution is quite simple.

Cammo net over the pool and use forest green pool paint instead of caribbean blue.

Or paint he pool tennis court green and paint tennis court lines on the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That just means they're not catching everyone they could be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would work until New York started requiring tarp permits.

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
If I was Google I'd ban their ip address from accessing Google maps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Towns all over the U.S have used  aerial photography companies for many years to enforce building codes/permits and for untaxed house additions etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well considering AZ has one of the toughest pool safety laws on the books I'd say yes.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/pool_rules.htm

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They update them from time to time.    If you use the Google Earth program it tells you when the picture was taken.  Oklahoma City's current picture is from April 2010.  With the Google Earth program, you can actually select which photo you want via their archives.  Some go back well over 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#34]

What pool?

This isn't new, local governments have been using satellite and, before that was readily available, aerial photography to catch non-permitted construction for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Googles photo of my house is about 8yrs old.

But the photo of my parents place was taken last year.

So google will probable be getting a new photo of my place soon.

Should I hide everything under camo?

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

There was a 4th amendment case out of CA some years back where police without a warrant used a plane to "search" someone's backyard and found drugs. It was appealed, and it was found that the search did violate the 4th amendment.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Should I hide everything under camo?

If you have to ask, it's already too late.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a 4th amendment case out of CA some years back where police without a warrant used a plane to "search" someone's backyard and found drugs. It was appealed, and it was found that the search did violate the 4th amendment.

I think you got your case law backwards.  They found that it was a legal search because it's in plain view for anyone in an aircraft.  There is no expectation of privacy from overhead traffic.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Could find some growing operations as well.......................anyone else remember the Cheech and Chong movie?????

Whatever the government needs to do to ensure the safety of me and my fellow peasants is OK by me......
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
so you figure the county had paid the commercial fees for google earth? or are they illegally using the freeware

Zoinks, Shaggy!
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Camoflage netting, FTW!
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt it has anything to do w/ that, most likely they are broke and need money and they can have some $9/hr clerk sit there and scan Google Earth and collect money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Sweet! Now all I need is to formulate a way to make a pool cover that looks like a yard! Instant money maker! lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sweet! Now all I need is to formulate a way to make a pool cover that looks like a yard! Instant money maker! lol

Reminds me of Cheech & Chong's grow setup that had a cover that looked like a pool.

NY, well, it sucks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#47]
It's interesting to me that ARFCOM members have a serious problem with the .gov using Google Earth to fine people for not pulling pool permits but when I talk about traffic cameras on our freeways being fed thru license plate number recognition software nobody gives a shit.

Our frog is almost boiled I tell ya....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Unpermitted Pools
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top