Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 2:49:43 AM EDT
What do you like to read and or look at while, you know, umm, in the bathroom?

My Cabelas catalog seems to kill the time rather well.

slow night.

rainman
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]

i've found most catalogs don't have the content to keep my mind fully occupied. plus, they can generally be read in a few sittings and then need to be replaced with new info. my preference is for magazines or catalogs with many short articles or image tutorials. (i like to read an article in one sitting...not over a four day period...and i don't like to linger in the bathroom just to finish up another page.)

i plan out my reading ahaed of time so i'm never caught unprepared. i've found it allows me to make pretty good use of that time. my current reading list (monthly subscription) is:

-maxim magzazine (to be phased out at the end of april for "backpacker")
-peterson's 4x4 and offroad

since i only read those in the bathroom, i can usually get a good two weeks out of them before needing something new. typically, i supplement the mags with catalogs depending on my interest.

in there now are:

-professional cutlery direct
-williams and sonoma
-state line tack

i also use the health, investement, and whatever other work related quasi-junk mail that arrives to fill in the sparse content days at the end of the month.

...slow morning.

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing - if I bring a book or magazine in there, I'll keep reading past the time I'm "done" and then my feet fall asleep.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Shotgun News is good.
Sportsmans Guide Surplus issue or Ammo issue is good too.

Colt
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Stroke mags.

Always good for squeezin' the weasel,

chokin' da chickin',

spankin' the monkey,

stranglin' the one eye snake,

beatin' the meat,

one handed bullseye shootin,

and just over all plain full auto fun!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You forgot "beating the bishop."
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Shotgun News, mainly, also Gun Tests.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]
ever since I got the laptop and modem connection in the bathroom, I surf ar15.com....
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe the area you speak of is the 'Throne Room'.

Gun Tests, The Black Rifle and PC Magazine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Shotgun news, Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, 1st Freedom, Playboy, Cabelas, Midway, Graf and Sons, Sometimes I  do a crossword or two.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I've found that the latest bushy catalog is nice reading material while sitting on the crapper.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm always accused of being in there too long. I like to read Small Arms Review but I always have to finish the articles. I'll have hemmorids the size of watermelon if they don't shorten that mag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#12]
... I don't like the rings on my butt cheeks that "throne" reading leaves me with.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets see :

American Handgunner
MaximumPC
Tapco Catalog
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Black Hawk Down - a great read!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Midway catalog. I ususally keep one in my briefcase at work so I can slip it in my pocket for the walk down the hall.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
DPMS catalog
Cycle World
Snap-On catalog
Sears Craftsman catalog
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I enjoy reading in the throne room.  It is the one place you can go to read and NOT get interrupted.  My favorites include:

Ducks Unlimited magazine
Cabelas catalog
Guns and Ammo
Sabiston's Textbook of Surgery
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I currently have all the SURPLUS firearms magazines.  A copy of Machine Guns of the World and an old Marstar Catalogue.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The Bushmaster catalog is on top of the pile.

Also included are various issues of Fire Engineering, Firehouse, Maxim and "The Combat Shotgun and Submachinegun, a Special Weapons Analysis" by Chuck Taylor.

The sphincter operates much more efectively when the mind is engaged.

[thinking]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd read Shotgun News if the local WalMart didn't always sell-out of the few copies they receive.  The manager claims they're not allowed to order more than five copies of each issue, and they don't even usually make it to the rack before store employees buy them.  So, I just read my Brownells catalog.  If I ever win the lottery (figuratively speaking, since I've never bought a ticket) I'll buy one of every tool in that catalog!z
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ever since I got the laptop and modem connection in the bathroom, I surf ar15.com....
View Quote

As long as you don't post any pics. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Mostly magazines.

Maxim
Stuff (suprised more people here didn't mention that one)
Playboy
Small Arms Review
Shotgun News
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to keep some 4x4 and gun magazines by the throne, but a little while ago I set up a wireless network in the house.  Wireless connectivity+laptop computer = ...

hold on a minute while finish with the paperwork.

[shock]

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Who reads any more?! I got the Potty Putter! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Palm IIIc + alt.binaries.ebook = unlimited supply of reading material
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Playboy (I actually read the articles, call me weird.)
Maxim or Stuff (don't get both, the same articles appear in both IMHO.)
Jeff Cooper's books.
The local Newspaper... Because the only thing is good for is wiping my ass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess I must be getting enough fiber in my diet, since I really don't feel the need to bring literature to the bathroom for the short time I'm in there. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]
When I had a subscription, I would read SGN until both my legs fell asleep and I would barely be able to stand up to do paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Henceforth and forthwith "the Toilet"
wil no longer be referred to as such:

"the jon"
"the throne"
"the crapper"

It shall from now on be referred to as......
"THUNDER-BUCKET"

BTW,I'll read ANYTHING while pooping;from
books to the labels on a pinesol bottle.lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Small Arms Review
Machine Gun News (when I can find it)
JP (Jeep Magazine)
Brownell's catalogue (no pun intended)
Numrich Gun Parts Corp
Various engine parts catalogues (I've got some projects going)
Unintended Consequences
African Rifles and Cartridges
Cartridges of the World
Mopar Jeep Engines
How to Build & MOdify Pistons, Rods, and Crankshafts
High Performance Hardware
SPS Products catalogue (Industrial and Aerospace)
Race Car Engineering and Mechanics
Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing Handbook
Up Front (Bill Mauldin)
Smoke Jumpers (Paul Freeman.  Political Satire/Comedy, shows up on bargain tables every now and then.  BUY IT!)
I could go on - the head is right off the bedroom, which contains MOST of my personal library...

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I had a subscription, I would read SGN until both my legs fell asleep and I would barely be able to stand up to do paperwork.
View Quote

Me too, until I heard some bad stuff about sitting on the head too long.

My ex-boss used to sit on the head that way, reading magazines until his legs went numb. It turns out to be very, very bad for your grommet. He's had two surgeries as the result of it. Both failed, and now he has to spend the rest of his life with a leaking and painful rear.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#32]
My good ol backissue of Playboy.  Playmate-Jenny McCarthy....mmmm, makes you feel all warm inside doesnt' it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#33]
You should really consider the Hogue Soft OverMolded Toilet Seats(Ass gasket).  This will make your experience more enjoyable as a shooter and a sh@tter.  I have seriously considered becoming a dealer for this product in the North Texas area.

[url]www.hogueinc.com[/url]

[:)]

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I print out posts from DaMan, Glance at them, then use them to wipe with.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Me too, until I heard some bad stuff about sitting on the head too long.

My ex-boss used to sit on the head that way, reading magazines until his legs went numb. It turns out to be very, very bad for your grommet. He's had two surgeries as the result of it. Both failed, and now he has to spend the rest of his life with a leaking and painful rear.
View Quote

If it comes down to that, I will use an Accuwedge instead of getting any surgery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top