Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 12:59:03 AM EDT
1990 Darwin Award Nominee
Unconfirmed by Darwin
(1990’s, United States) I heard the following at work in the gun shop. The events described below (if it’s not a legend) occurred in the 1990’s in the southwest.
A small-time hood (about to be even smaller) broke into the home of a World War Two veteran and stole, among other things, the old G.I.'s .45 automatic pistol, which he used in battle in the 1940's. The hoodlum then reported directly to a local convenience store and proceeded to rob the cashier while brandishing his new pistol. The cashier, no dummy, followed orders and handed over the contents of the register.
Our thug took the money and turned to leave, but suddenly decided he didn’t want to leave a witnesses… other than the security camera, that is. He leveled the pistol at the cashier and pulled the trigger.

"CLICK!" went the gun.

At this unexpected development, the puzzled crook looked straight down the barrel of his weapon and uttered the words, "What the...?"

As it turned out, the WWII veteran had WWII vintage ammunition in his WWII vintage pistol. Priming caps over time are known to lose their "spontaneous" nature, particularly if stored improperly, causing what is known as a hang-fire: The primer smolders into a delayed ignition.

Such was the case here.

Just as the puzzled crook had the barrel pointed squarely at his own eye, the hang-fired primer detonated, sending a half-inch chunk of lead and associated hot combustion gases directly into the felon's skull at 900 feet per second.

The range was less than six inches.
The body could only be identified by fingerprints.

As the story was related to me, the police officer who responded to the original gun burglary was also at the scene of the armed robbery. He picked up the .45 and verified the serial number, then returned it to the WWII veteran.

Case closed.

(Assweb reprint)

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Funny.  Got what he deserved.

Some of the details seem a little off though.  First, I doubt that a .45 would destroy the thief's face enough that he is not identifiable (I could be wrong there...).  Second, the officer would probably be way out of line to simply return the gun to it's owner.
View Quote

I think the hot gas would be responsible for  the majority of the damage to bad guy.  Maybe some coroner could post a pic?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Hahaha, I hope it's true.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This is appalling.

This criminal should have been required to attend a gun safety course before being allowed to commit an armed robbery.

Better yet, he shouuld not even be allowed to own a gun!

Oh never mind.......................
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
and the criminals family sued the gun maker ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
This never would have happened if that gun had a trigger lock! [grenade][whacko]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Guns don't kill people....

...Delayed ignition primers do!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top