Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 11:41:59 PM EDT
My wife and I were talking about how many people on here had their wives find a gun that you never got the 'ok' on.  I was guessing about 50-60%.  She said higher.  We all know it is an addiction and we can't help it.

If you did get busted, how did he/she handle it?

ps- oh yeah, this came up because she found a new kimber and AR in the safe.  DOH! Never give the combo to 'em.  I mean never.  I slipped up.  Now she is gonna go shopping tomorrow.  I know she will come home with tons of "crap" that noone in their right mind would buy.  Ah hell, I still love her.  Now I just hope she feels the same.    [B)]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Just one.....

more like a few [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted for "you bet your ass", but generally speaking I can buy anything I want.  Neither of us will spend the money unless it's there to spend, and....

She can't tell one AR-15 from another [:D].
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
as you suggested, my wife has no idea how to open the safe. she has no idea what is in it. (if she did I would probably be living in it.) nor does she have any interest in whats in it. all she cares to know is where her S&W 9mm is. that is all she ever cares to shoot. sometimes we go to the farm (her grandfathers, a free range, cant beat it) she will see something and ask "how long have you had that" I give her the standard "oh you remember this, we got it bla, bla,bla" I think she knows better but she never says anything. I sure do love her for that.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I spend such a huge percentage of my paychecks on bills for the family & upkeep on the vehicles, that when I do have money to buy a new gun the wife is actually happy for me.  

She's really good about that - God bless her heart.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have an approval system. If I want something and I've got the money for it, then I buy it. Same for my wife, she doesn't have to ask me for everything she wants to buy.

Life is short and you can always make more money.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Drive carefully beekeeper.

-kid
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
And I wimped out on the back story because it took her a while to catch me, so I thought I was safe.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I do take the needs of the family into consideration before I buy. But I don't seek or need her approval.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a little angel...

[devil]Tyler[devil]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife actually gets more pissed when I sell "her" guns to buy new guns for me. She thinks if she bought it as a present for me, I shouldn't sell it. I agree with her, but in a moment of weakness dumped my AK's & SKS's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Did I mention I'm on restriction for an undetermined amount of time...?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#14]
MrsWind told me I should just buy the Colt Cowboy, before NJ bans it. I jsut bought a Tommy Gun so I don't want to spentd the money....I might aswell just give in and buy another gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife has no interest in the gun safe.  Or maybe she just pretends not to care.  If she ever asks for the combo I'll give it to her as I am confident that she still won't be able to open it! [:D]  It works different then her high school locker!!  

Besides, she can't tell one AR from another, thank God!  But I do have to hide them some of them on the top self behind my tac vests, so she doesn't see more than one AR at a time.  She also chooses to believe me when I tell her that 'Oh...that's just a pellet/ bb gun'

I don't know what I'm going to tell her when I haul half my arsenal to the BRC!!  Oh I've had that for years.  That one?  It belongs to Jim or Chuck or...  may be I should just bring my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
"Busted" is sort of inappropriate in my case since my SO does not keep track nor is she interested/concerned with what I have or want.

The only items she knows I have are the ones she purchased for me as gifts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The wife never gets mad when I buy a new gun. Like others have said, I make sure the bills get paid and only buy when I can afford it. She knows that it's what I enjoy, and is very understanding.

The only time she get's mad with me about it is when I talk endlessly to er about them.

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]
not caught yet.. and it won't happen.. soon to be ex is on the way out!  (I kept 110% control of access to all "important" items) [:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]
One day some AR parts came to the house and I said that I had built one and she absolutely freaked. I never lied about having one but I never  mentioned it either. The argument (including silent treatment) went on for 3 days. She was quite upset and said she didn't want an "arsenal" in the house. I said I know guys with 4 sets of golf clubs and she kept countering w/ "But it's a *gun*!!! as if that were some kind of trump card.
She's pretty fiercely anti.  It's sort of driven a wedge between us. I hear people say just take a person to the range and it'll convert 'em but  my wife would go to Antarctica before she'd go to a range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#21]
ludwig, I don't know you or anything about your situation except for what I read in your post.

Friendly advice you didn't ask for:  Get out.  Now.  While there is still time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#22]
no, ludwig, don't take her to the range, take someone else to the range.  if she doesn't have the versatility to accept your hobby or at least not to bash it...... there are lots of women out there who will.
you just need to find one   (at the range, now that would be cool)[:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Unauthorized? Only once, early on in the marriage, was I forced to give her the "Look, I wasn't asking your permission" line.

I always have the courtesy to tell my wife when I'm going out to buy a new gun. After all, we have a budget and large expenditures need to be known by all so they can be prepared for. If the wife is opposed to my purchase she can provide rational arguments as to why I should not spend the money. I'll listen, respect her opinions and if she is right, the buy is suspended or canceled. But she knows she can't just tell me "NO".

BTW, the same goes for things she wants to buy. I don't hold veto power either.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#24]
What a timely topic, I was just headed to the gun show.

I've got 11 firearms and she says that is enough.  Of course we all know that there is no such thing as enough when it comes to our guns.

Well all she knows is that there are five short ones and six long ones, so as long as those numbers are not exceeded I can have any gun I want. She wouldn't know the difference between an AR and a shotgun.

All the guns are in the safe and the only time she sees in there if she happens to catch me with it open.  Then it's inventory time.

I don't open the safe much when she is home.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#25]
What is a "unapproved gun"? Are these ones that fail some kind of safety test?

I guess if the gun was somehow dangerous, my wife would be concerned, but other than that she really has little to do with my firearms aquisitions.

Now if "she" wants a gun, sometimes she will get my opinion on which one is better, etc. But that hardly, happens. She doesn't shoot much, and when she does she just raids my safe.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#27]
My ex though I was lucky....  When I would get something, I would always put it on layaway for a day...  then I had my dealer call the house and say I won it on a raffle [;)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to all for a quick reminder of why I won't get married... More cash in my pocket and no explanations of what I do with it... [;D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I am one of the lucky guys who doesn't have to have permission. My wife of 26 years has never objected to my purchase of any firearm, no matter the cost. Of course, I have always used my own money, saved or earned for the purpose.

To show you just how lucky I am, my gal is a graduate of Gunsite with an "E" ticket signed by Jeff Cooper. She has her CCW permit and carries daily. And, since this is an AR site, she has an SP1 CAR, along with an assortment of handguns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]
My standard answer when she asks why I need another gun is "because I don't have that one yet".  She really dosen't give me a hard time.  I let her buy whatever she wants, all of the bills get paid and I only use my quarterly bonus checks to buy my toys.  She says it's extra money, I earned it and I can do whatever I want with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top