Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 8:27:11 PM EDT
Not a mechanical limit, but a point beyond which an average user is wasting their money?

I ask because I am goofing off at work, and went to Ebay.  I saw a Canon D30 going for just about $1000.  I remember seeing that particular camera and saying that it might be something to look into when the prices come down.  That was when they were $3000.  

Aside from various technical aspects, etc.  I am wondering if there is a practical upper limit to Megapixels in a camera for a user such as myself.  I would only put the things on a computer, and possibly e-mail pics to the family, maybe put images on for-sale items on the Internet.  Is 3 megapixels going to be more than I would ever need, or should I wait for the D60 (6 megapixels) to drop to that price level in 18 months?  

I like the Canon, as I have several lenses for it already (I have a couple of EOS bodies).

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
When I set up my last boos with a computer and a digi-cam He got a 3.1 Mpixel. The only reason you need that kind of resolotion is to take pics and be able to zoom in or enlarge the picture. Most cameras have lower resolution setting so that the originals are not as large of files. I believe his had 3 or 4 resolution setings. HE took a picture of a car from about 100 yds without any zoom set on the camera, at high resolution and if you zoomed in on the picture on the computer you could easily read the liscense plate. 3.1 Mpixs is plenty unless you have very special needs or want bragging rights.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to wait for a little while.  A new CMOS (digital receiver that interprets the image) just came out called the Foveon X3.  The technology will completely change the landscape of digital photography.  The first cameras just came out that use it and the results are nothing short of amazing.  Here is a tech brief from the developers:

[url]http://www.foveon.com/X3_tech.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally think that anything above 2 megapixels is too much for consumer cameras.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You may want to wait for a little while.  A new CMOS (digital receiver that interprets the image) just came out called the Foveon X3.  The technology will completely change the landscape of digital photography.  The first cameras just came out that use it and the results are nothing short of amazing.  Here is a tech brief from the developers:

[url]http://www.foveon.com/X3_tech.html[/url]
View Quote

Heard about this when they announced last year.  Which manufacturers are making them, and how much are they charging?  I didn't think they could make it to market so quickly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
... There is a limit on megapixles.  For a year now I have been betting that the quality of digital cameras would reach the quality of a good 35MM.

... The technology is not quite there yet for "average consumers" but maybe available to us in six months or so. Woo Hoo!

... I'll buy one then. You see, a 35MM has the resolution of 600 megapixles and most on the market now peak out about 5.2 megapixles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2 megapixel Canon.  I always have it at the lowest resolution and smallest size or the pics are a bear to email.

You can pick up the Canon S100 for about three hundred bucks and the thing is so tiny you can take it in your pocket no problem.  It is also 2 megapixels which is good for awesome 5x7 or good 8x10 prints if that is what you want to use it for.  I have the S10 which is the same camera, just twice as big.  BTW, it uses flash media which is pretty cheap right now.  I picked up a 128mb card for 50 bucks which will hold over a thousand pictures at the resolution I use.  Great for going on vacation, all pictures on one card.

I know you are looking at a SLR type, but for your stated purposes having a small camera would be much more practical as you are more likely to take it with you.  We now use the Canon 95% of the time cause it is smaller and more convinient than  our Nikon SLRs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top