Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 7:03:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what yo umean. My daughter is 3 1/2 now, and I so miss the little infant she used to be.
I have a pic of her from when she was 2, and I was holding her that I sometimes use as my DT pic, and another one of her wearing my cammie blouse and cover.
They grow up fast.
My wife and daughter are up in Chi town while I get ready to get out of the USMC.
Boy do I miss them....
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see where you're coming from.... but you grow and change along with your kids. I have one child, a boy who will be 15 in 3 weeks. I was just watching a video I took of him when he was 9 months old. He is not the same kid, but again, he is the same. Even though he is now tall as me and 190 pounds.

You can't imagine your kids older, but somehow it just happens. Relax. You will all grow together in this. Seems strange, but it all works out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
They grow up fast. Enjoy them while you can. Make an investment of your time and teach them right from wrong. This will pay huge dividends in their lives and enrich yours.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
nothing sappy about your post.. definitely no apology needed.

can certainly relate to what you feel.  My children (2) are junior and freshman in college now.  Their mother and I divorced when they were 7 & 5 years old.  Fortunately, my ex and I maintained a good relationship, continued to do things "together" with the kids, and all went very well; all things considered.  As stated by others, they grow up fast, but every new moment becomes as special as the past.

ditto to investing all time possible with them.  The rewards are continual and never ending.  We are blessed by our children, and the paternal pride is unmatched by anything else in life.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Bravo5-2

Salute to All the AR15.com Parents [beer]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If you knew how much fun grandkids are, you'd have them first.[:D]

Fred
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya VA-gunnut!
My 15yr.old boy and 13yr. old girl are now more intelligent/wiser than me.  It gets worse when their friends are around.  My ten yr.old boy is still pretty tight with the old man.  Payback's a bitch. I remember how I treated my parents when I was coming up.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I know what you're talkking about, but look at it this way: Part of the whole process of parenting is making sure that they grow up to be functional, useful adults.  The best thing about them gorwing up is finding out that you did a good job.  

I wouldn't trade one second of time that I have spent with my childeren.  We are very close, and always have been.  Oddly enough though, I also enjoy seeing them grow and grown.  My daughter is getting ready to drive, so that's yet another adventure in learning that we will go through together.  

I greatly enjoyed them as small ones, but I also enjoy them as bigger ones.  Above all we stay a family and work as one.  I wouldn't want to miss any of the time I spent with them in the past, but I certainly don't want to miss any of the time I'm going to spend with them in the future.

Besides, they'll have grandchilderen that I can play with later.  

Ross
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sappy at all.

My youngest (girl) is almost 17 and I'm afraid the day is coming that I'm going to have to kill some teenage SOB for touching my little girl! ( j/k [:)] )

My eldest (son) is in the Navy. Stationed in Pensacola, FL. It's amazing how he grew from the day he left for "Great Lakes" and his "Pass-in-review".

The wife and I, divorced in the early 90's and in all those years since, I've missed only 3 or 4 weekends with them.

Take every moment you can to enjoy them and play games with them.

There is nothing I miss more than the sound of their laughter.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine's a year and a half, and seems to grow by the day. Part of you wants them to stay little forever, but you get to exerience the wonder and joy of watching them learn & develop. I'm a hard-ass SOB, but when she says "da da", I know I'm already wrapped around her pudgy little finger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]

I have a two-year old son. He'll probably be our only child. I certainly do feel a bit of angst at the thought of him growing up. Nothing sappy about that.  He is everything to us.

I have so many fears of what he'll have to put up with in this world as he grows up.  It's NOTHING like the world I grew up in. I can only hope he leads a charmed life. We do what we can to instill kindess, curiosity and self-confidence in him now, and hope to steer him towards discerning right from wrong as he grows.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I do have a question for those with an "only child":

What are the best things we parents can do for our son to "compensate" for him not having siblings? (due to medical conditions, we won't have another)

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I know there will come a day when my now-five-year-old son won't want to hug dad anymore, or hang around with him...and yeah, it chokes me up when I think about it.
Enjoy them while you can...

[img]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/rikwriter/full_79_p654.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you knew how much fun grandkids are, you'd have them first.[:D]
View Quote

Hah! How true.  [:)]

You younger guys need to remember that you are raising those kids so you can have grandchildren. So do it right.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#22]
My one and only child, Lorelei, turned 31 last week. Since her birthday fell on a weekday, I wound up taking her out on her birthday with just the two of us. Even her daughter, Kristin, was over at her other Grandmother's spending the night.

So it was just Lorelei and me, and we had a great time together. I am 19 years older than her, and I've always told her that 'one day, God willing, I will be 99 and you will be 80, and I will still be worrying about where you are, what you're doing, and if you're safe.'

Pardon me, now, while I post the word to a Ray Boltz song that strikes me as [u]the[/u] song I would always want my children and grandchildren to know. It's called -

[size=3]Always Be A Child[/size=3]

I was there when you drew the breath of life
And I could hear your voice
The first time that you cried
And though you couldn't see Me
I was very near
And there's something now
That I want you to hear

Chorus:
You will always be a child in my eyes
And when you need some love
My arms are open wide
And even when you're growing old
I hope you realize

I was there the first time that you prayed
And I heard all the promises you made
And when you fell before Me
Crying 'Father I have sinned'
I picked you up
And held you close again.

(Chorus)

Of course, the song is referring to God being the Father of each of us, but you gotta remember that He's a Father, too!

And He has surely shown us how we are to love.

Eric The()Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#24]
 In many ways I look forward to Lil' Ops growing up.  Now that he is 7 and more or less self-propelled, I see the effect of peer group and wonder how to counter it (even though it's a Christian school.) He has lost the self-confidence he used to have around adult men.  This too will pass, and he still knows how to rappel, shoot, and handle himself in the woods.  In many ways i wish he would remain a little boy forever, but in more I truly look forward to his maturation.
 He has wanted to fly for the Navy/Marines since a toddler.  I hope he retains this as he grows.  Besides, what would pop Dad's buttons more than an F-22 (or whatever) buzzing the house with a snap roll at Mach .99?  Thank God for His gifts, children are indeed such....
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#25]
That feeling is but one of the inevitable realities we all face in Life.
The positive side of it is that you are fortunate enough to be a parent and share that feeling with other parents.  
I know when I see my two Little Princesses growing and learning and changing, I get the same feeling you had.
They are little innocent angels when they sleep, too.  Aren't they?
Be thankful you're a parent and can experience the joy of helping them grow into Life.
Wow, now I feel sappy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#26]
[Pardon me, now, while I post the word to a Ray Boltz song that strikes me as [u]the[/u] song I would always want my children and grandchildren to know. It's called -

[size=3]Always Be A Child[/size=3]

I was there when you drew the breath of life
And I could hear your voice
The first time that you cried
And though you couldn't see Me
I was very near
And there's something now
That I want you to hear

Chorus:
And when you need some love
My arms are open wide
And even when you're growing old
I hope you realize

I was there the first time that you prayed
And I heard all the promises you made
And when you fell before Me
Crying 'Father I have sinned'
I picked you up
And held you close again.

(Chorus)

Of course, the song is referring to God being the Father of each of us, but you gotta remember that He's a Father, too!

And He has surely shown us how we are to love.

Eric The()Hun[>]:)][/quote]

Hey Eric one I think is appropriate is "A Love with out end amen" and for the life of me I can not remember who the artist is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I never planned on being a father...
However I am one ... of 2 girls ... the oldest I was never around much... and the youngest, well, her mother and I divorced for some reason (suffice it to say that I was not the one that wanted the divorce and did not understand her reasoning)and I have only had visitation with her since she was 20 months (now she is just a month over 15 yrs)...
We have spent many summers.. many weekends... together...
I have spent many hours on the road between SLC, UT and Idaho Falls, ID driving on friday afternoon to bring her here and on sunday afternoon to take her home over the last 13 years ...
I have averaged 160,000 miles on 3 vehicles over that time ( so almost 500,000 miles so far...)
Much time while driving was spent thinking ... and even though I might have been happier had it now turned out this way, I have had some of the most memorable experiences being a father...
She will grow older ... I will grow older... but we will still remember the words that we tell each other when I lay her down to sleep "Daddy loves Dede" and she responds "Dede loves Daddy" ... Thanks for letting me tell this guys... tears are welling up now ... making it hard to see either the keyboard or the monitor ...
I am glad I was able to be blessed to be a father...
Ted...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Well VA. You look like a lucky man with a quiver like that.

I'm still lookin' for a chick to marry that WON'T think of divorce........to complicate things with children down the road.
[peep]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top