Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Built a potato gun few years ago, anyway kid I was working with said he play College Baseball In School And Could Catch The Tater bared hands this was a laugh he went out 15 yards and got nail with a potato in the Knee. I aimed Low didnt want to Hit him anywhere above the waist . We Call him Spuds Now!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Taking a firearm, any firearm, in to trade or sell and getting, "oh, the market is kinda soft on these right now..." story.  They may as well say, "oh, I'm going to insult you and see if you are an idiot...".

If these dealers would only give you a break and treat you like a valued customer, they may actually see you come back in the future.

The last time I heard that B.S. was the last time I patronized the store.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
this is actually an urban legend. I don't jaksa to explain the whole thing but the explanation is on the urban legends homepage.  I always thought it was a fact too but there has never been any corroborating evidence and appears to be an UL. Just  like all the really cool stories.....

crash

Quoted:
SS109: Actually, the bullet/baby story is true.  It happened during the Civil War, IIRC it was a confederate soldier that was the victim/father due to a union soldier's bullet, the History channel talked about it for a few minutes a while back.  The victim/father even heard about it after the war, went and found the girl, and married her.

Kharn
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
A few months ago this happend... Military guy comes into the shop to look around. part way through the convo he states last time he was shooting he was using an M9 (Beretta 92FS for those who don't know) and at 100 yards with tracer rounds he was penetrating the "rear" door of a tank...
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
As for a .22 taking deer and turkeys they will with no problem with PROPER shot placement.
But my favroite tale happened at the local Wal-mart , of course they had some know nothing behind the counter.
Me; Can I see that lever action .22?
Idiot; You mean the 10/22?
Me; I don't think its a 10/22
I; Yes it is , its a lever action 10/22
Me; The 10/22 is a semi auto
I; Yes thats why this is a LEVER ACTION 10/22
Me; forget it
There is no way to win an argument with an idiot, hindsight being 20/20 I should have dared to look at the model number and then pointed out how stuiped he was[BD]
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The 22lr taking deer IS true. the bulls**t part is that nobody will owe up to the fact that quite a few em` run away wounded. since it`s MOSTLY done on poaching times, it`s a sensless waste of an animal...i know, i know...a lot of you "hunters" care less about that.....[kill]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok here is a good one.  A friends step-father had done everything there was to do and was telling us about a time in Viet Nam.  He said he was looking through the night vision scope on his M14 and saw a glowing dot way out there.  He figured out that he was looking down the barrel of a NVA tank that had the breech open.  He judged the distance to be about 1 1/2 miles and shot down the barrel with his M14.  From where he was he heard PING,PING, BAAAAABOOOOMMMMMM.  The bullet went down the barrel of the tank and set off the shells in the magazine.  He said the blast nearly knocked his buddies over as he watched the turret fly through the air.  Needless to say I was impressed.....you have to be creative to come up with a story like that.  He has many more that are just as bad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Have garden weasel ask him what unit, co, etc he was in....that might straighten him out....[kill]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL!
I loved the story of the Jap who was bruised to death with a M1 Carbine!
There are some I believe however. Cole Younger had 16 bullet holes in him after the Northfield raid and survived. I once shot a rat climbing a wall five times with a .22LR before it died. It ponly stopped climing on the fifth shot.
View Quote

I guess only hits count - even on rats! (oh, and Japs but only within 100 yards![:D])

Later,

JC
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
thistle you dont understand.Hindsight wasn't 20/20 it was a 10/22
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is one of the regular favorites that comes in.We call him Mr.7000fps.One day he's in and out of the blue he mentions that he is getting 7000fps out of his handloads.We tell him that we dont think that is possible.(I believe gas only expands at something less than 6000fps,anyone know for shure.)Any way he gets perturbed and starts to mention the slap round and thats why his goes so fast.We ask him how he came onto this load,after all Olin spent a little in research.He says he wasnt wearing his glasses and grabed the wrong powder and the wrong measurement.We tell him that we are concerened that this must not be safe.He says his gun hasnt blown up so it must be safe.He also states that the millitary takes there pressure to the ragged edge all the time.Well as a guy in the store said this guy would argue with Jesus himself.Buy the way the guy was in ordering a new rifle because his kept blowing primers and the bolt was hard to lift.Amazing.One of the guys asked if he was wearing his glasses when he read the chrono.I thouht the guy was gonna have a stroke or something.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I HAD A 1972 13 SECOND TOYOTA BACK IN 1969.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about you guys, but almost every gun store owner/employee in my town (Las Vegas) knows *jack-squat* about rifles in general, esp. AR-15's.  Some of my favorites:

Looking at a preban Oly w/ 5 1/2" permanently attached flash hider.  The clerk says to me: (Yeah, that flash hider is threaded, so you can just take it off and put in whatever you want)

Same guy, same rifle:  I ask if he knows how many rounds have been through it.  Taken back, he says, "You can put thousands of rounds through these things without cleaning them!  Accuracy will never suffer!"

Looking at an AR-10 (.308 for you non-ArmaLite fans).  The owner says, "You can even use your USGI AR-15 mags in that".  Wanting to make him realize his own folly, I asked to see the 2 10 round mags that come with the rifle from the factory.  He says, "That rifle doesn't come with mags, like I said, you can use your GI mags."

Same owner tells me his only choice for a concealed handgun is anything, as long as it is in .44Mag.

Simply amazing.  I think if you sell something, you should damn-near be an expert at what you sell.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People who claim to defend the 2nd amendment (especially gunowners) but do not support the militia, because some commie ba_tard led them to believe that militia is bad!

Whan idiots do not understand, is that, not supporting the militia is EXACTLY why tyrants are taking away their gun rights, for the tyrants sees nothing by cowards, thus moves forward with even more restrictions and bans!

I know some of you do not like the truth:
"But claiming to support the 2nd Amendment and not supporting the militia, IS THE BIGGEST BULL SH_T STORY OF ALL TIMES!"

The founding fathers roll in their graves because of the now complacent attitude of Americans who do not have a clue that, they are being raped of their freedoms, by an enemy from within!
View Quote

THIS IS STILL THE BIGGEST BS STORY OF ALL TIMES!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
About the major lack of clues among vendors (Don't worry, it is a direct replacement!) and gunshops in particulars:  I was in a combination pawnshop/gunsmithing gunshop in Anchorage onetime.

The civilian rifles were marked, for the most part, properly.  What really stank was the marking and pricing of the military rifles.  For example, a beater #1 mk3 was marked as an "early Mauser" in 30-06.

I had asked the resident GUNSMITH about this particular rifle, and he asked, "well, how do you know otherwise?"  Told him it was pretty basic, made a few million, and was the service rifle of the Brits for more than half a century.  He replied that they did not teach them the "old stuff" in gunsmithing school.  Did not ask him where he went.

I found a hacked up M1917 with the full length barrel and no birdbath on hte rear bridge.  They wanted close to 300 (?) for it, but I wanted it as a project.  He refused to sell it at that price in case they were letting a bargain out the door!

He was rebarreling a model 98 to 338 before the conversation took place, and I rashly assumed he knew what he was doing.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Jeep that isn't rusted out and a Darth Vader action figure still in the box, and i put my mint Mickey Mantle card in my spokes to make a cool rrrrRrrrrRRrRr sound....
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
BTT I thouht this was good reading
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a good one.  Heard this in CO
"Valdada scopes are cheap com-bloc crap, Nightforce is WAY overrated (go with Springfield Armory instead - it's the same thing only cheaper), and US Optics are awful because they're made in China."
Oh Really? I say.  Why do you say that?
"Because I'm one of the few people in this country who actually has a degree in optics, so I know what I'm talking about."

Yeah, then how come you're working in a gun shop, JACKASS?!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the one about the Japanese soldiers in WWII charging US machine gunners and cutting the barrel off the machine gun with a katana.  Of course, since the Japanese are the descendants of the mighty samurai and the katana is the finest weapon ever devised, this one must be true.  That's why the Japanese won WWII.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
Here is one of the regular favorites that comes in.We call him Mr.7000fps.One day he's in and out of the blue he mentions that he is getting 7000fps out of his handloads.
View Quote

That reminds me of a security guard/wannabe special forces guy my friend used to talk to. He claimed that he was getting 3000 fps handloads out of a .338 win mag (NOT lapua) using 250gr bullets. The guy even gave some bs story that IMR, Hodgdon, Hercules (he could never be consistent with the powder company) gave him some "classified" loading data and refused to let anyone else know what the load was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]
A supposed Vietnam conflict veteran, and his son, a Marine Corps serviceman were talking about 'Nam.  Now, I respect all servicemembers, except the ones that run maintenance...heh.  Anyways, the father was talking about AK-47's and M-16's, and how they would steal the VC AK's because their M-16 ammo worked in it, because they are the same caliber.  On the same token, the VC would raid their ammo dump and steal the M-16 ammo for their guns.  I could not stay out of the conversation, and piped up "Thats BS."  He looked at me a little funny, and swore it to be the truth.  I merely told him that I basically have one of each at the house, and the calibers were markedly different and that the AK would choke on .223, and 7.62x39 wouldnt fit down the barrel of the 16.  I know we can get different configurations NOW, but back then, Russian made AK-47's werent made in .223....
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#23]
OK it's not exactly B.S. but is store related.

I went in to K-mart (or whatever they are calling it these days) to express my appreciation for them firing Rosie O'Dipsht by buying a carton of .22lr.  I'm standing at the ammo counter and a clerk comes up and asks if she can help me.  I point to the kind I wanted and asked for one carton.  She gets it for me and is ringing it up and askes me what it is.  I reply that it is rimfire ammunition, and she gets kind of a funny look, and asks me if I mean ammunition that goes in real guns.  I assure her that it did indeed go in real guns and left her with that funny look still on her face.

BTW.  Whoever posted the link to the mall special operations thread (http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum2/HTML/001283.html)... Thanks.  It was hilarious.  

Cheers  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I still remember the a$$hole rippin' through mag after mag 5.56mm at the range with his trusty "accurized" Mini-14.  After he asked me about my AR he told two BFW's (Big Friggin' Whoppers).

1.  He claimed that he could get a pre-ban Colt AR-15 from his "buddy with an FFL" for $500.

2.  He claimed that he cleaned up in CMP/NRA Service Rifle matches with his trusty Mini-14.

Does the bullshit ever stop?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone else heard this one? When my gramps was undergoing his tri-annual harrassment trying to renew his FFL, some BATF agent complained that a full-sized ar15a1 could be concealed in the legs of one's trousers. Must be pretty baggy pants!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]
A few years back, Collectors Firearms in Houston (on Richmond), said they couldn't sell me a SKS because I was only 18. Said I could only buy hunting rifles or shotguns. So I went 10 minutes away and bought one from another store who had the same SKS in better condition for $30 less.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a semi M-60 on my table at a Gunshow.  Talk about alot of B.S. stories.  My favorite is a Guy who claimed to be in Nam and humped one for 10,00 miles all over nam said I never would want to carry one again,  He asked what caliber it was.  I said same caliber you humped in Nam.   He friends started laughing at him because he was full of crap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Flat black plane jane Colt M1911A Compact at the gunshow.

Guy tells me that it's REALLLY RARE!!

Or that the illegal config preban upper on postban lower AR he has is exempt from the ban 'cause it was put together buy an LEO......keeeeep walking.(also at the gunshow)

Or the guy who when I was 16 told me that I couldn't carry my unloaded mini 14 through the gunshow, standing right with to my mom (which he knew she was). It was illegal for me to touch it, even with parental supervision and permission, I asked.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#29]
@ Gun show.  First time, talking with a guy about barrels, he seems intelligent, well-versed.

Second time, we talk about bullet weights and rifling twist.  I ask why he thinks 64g bullets 'need' 1 in 7 twist.  He says they're heavier, so more stable, so they use "the slower twist" I ask him what he means, 'slower'.
He says, "Seven turns in one inch is slower than twelve turns in one inch".

Never did figure out whether he just didn't have the concept, or was trying to mess with my mind, or test whether I would embarrass him in public.

Up to that point, i'd been thinking of buying a couple of barrels from them....

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A supposed Vietnam conflict veteran, and his son, a Marine Corps serviceman were talking about 'Nam.  Now, I respect all servicemembers, except the ones that run maintenance...heh.  Anyways, the father was talking about AK-47's and M-16's, and how they would steal the VC AK's because their M-16 ammo worked in it, because they are the same caliber.  On the same token, the VC would raid their ammo dump and steal the M-16 ammo for their guns.  I could not stay out of the conversation, and piped up "Thats BS."  He looked at me a little funny, and swore it to be the truth.  I merely told him that I basically have one of each at the house, and the calibers were markedly different and that the AK would choke on .223, and 7.62x39 wouldnt fit down the barrel of the 16.  I know we can get different configurations NOW, but back then, Russian made AK-47's werent made in .223....
View Quote
Yeah, I've heard similar from Drill Sgt's, USAF TI's, Tech School instructors, saying that Kalashnikov designed the AK so it would chamber and fire .223, while the M-16 couldn't fire 7.62 Russian.  Pure bull.  Truth of the matter is that the Russians DID design some of their mortars and artillery pieces that way; 1MM larger than ours, so that they could use our ammo, but we can't use theirs.  Works ok with big pieces, Impossible with small arms.  But that's the military.  Them with rank have to sound like experts.
[grenade]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#31]
This came from a walking, talking, alive man, who I know was dead serious.

"The Army has Atomic bullets that they will issue if things start going bad"  
"Bullets"?
"yes,.308 NATO -- got a yellow tip, blow up whole cities."

He was dead ass serious, and as he walked away after sharing that info with me and about 6 others I think we were all a little scared. We all hoped he never had any kids and maybe the gean pool would be safe.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
On the atomic bullet theory.  When I was in the Army, I participated in several firepower demonstrations for the public.  One of the demonstrations we did was the "Atomic .45 Shell".  Someone would bring out a .45 cal ball round on a velvet pillow.  It was loaded into a pistol and fired down range.  About a second later, I would set off an atomic simulator which produced a large flash and a nice mushroom smoke cloud.  You would be amazed at how many people actually believed that the Army had atomic bullets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#33]
This one's easy.  Started out something like:

"I'm from the government and I'm here to
help you....."
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Two good ones

1.  Those ar's are total crap, I have never owned one that didn't jam once out of 20 rounds.

2.  Sure those sar2 can shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards with a kobra battle sight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#35]
When my dad was looking for a Colt 1991 or 1911 for a graduation present for me a gunshow dealer sold him my Colt 1991A1 Commander. After giving it to me my dad mentioned that the dealer had a bunch of the full sized 1991's at the table. Knowing that my dadd likes the full sized pistols better I asked him why he picked the Commander. He said that the man selling them said that the Colt 1991A1 Commander was very rare, and hard to find! This little piece of B.S. actually worked out very well for me because I like the Commander better than the full sized model.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
On the old board someone related a gun store story where he went shopping for a .45acp crimp die and was confronted by a "reloading expert who reloaded for years" that worked there absolutely refused to believe that the round could be crimped. The disagreement escalated to the point of shouting and when a .45acp taper crimp die was pointed out to be sitting on the shelf behind the "reloading expert", the customer was agrily told to leave the store and never come back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Some guy, never saw his face, dressed in black,  fondling a .50AE Desert Eagle.  Heard him telling the salesman I am a mall security professional.  This will be the perfect backup to my Barrett M82."
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Cal ...   Was he wearing the special wall-climbing shoes at the time?

Norm
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I posted a story similar to the one Imbroglio posted above.

This happened at Security Equipment in Honolulu.

I went in to buy a primer pocket swager for the military brass I was accumulating from our qualification shoots.  The counter dweeb insisted that military brass could not be reloaded after I insisted I did so for years.  I bought the RCBS unit I saw behind him and never went back in.

Different time:  I bought a box of .264 bullets and made the mistake of telling the guy they for for the .256 Newton.  He persisted in telling me that this was a .257 bore after I told him I owned two of them and reloaded for them for years.  

Where do they get these guys?

Footnote to the Security Equipment story.  This shop is across the street from the FBI building.  A friend and I were walking out and back to his car when we were stopped by an FBI agent.

He flashed his badge and asked if we were the guys who were supposed to be in the police lineup.  We answered "no" and got real defensive.  He answered in return that he would pay us 35 bucks and call our unit to arrange the rest of the afternoon off.

We, along with 3-4 guys from the airforce academy, were told to act like the suspect.  My friend had a mustache stuck on him, and we pulled our shirts loose, etc.  Instead of a smart right face when told to turn to the right, we were to imitate the guy and shuffle around till we pointed in the right direction.

The guy did not stand a chance.

Had a great time at the Alamoana mall (sp?) that afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Norm G:
Cal ...   Was he wearing the special wall-climbing shoes at the time?
Norm
View Quote
Wasn't looking at the shoes....Looking at the Eagle.  Todd
[;)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#41]
i've got a good one.  i was at gun show and a vendor  there told me that there were police departments that were using the hi-point carbines (yea the $149 one).  i suppose it was only by chance that he too was selling hi-point carbines equipted with red dot scopes and all other sorts of accesories.  

i must say my little brotehr and i got quite a chuckle from that fella.  sloth  
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#42]
sloth actually I remember reading somewhere that there was a dept using these.Gun World I think.Someone please tell me if I wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Went to my friends gun shop. This guy came in and tried to tell us that if you defend yourself with a gun and it has a preban mag in it, whether you are in the right or not, you are going to jail. Period! Thought that was pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#44]
"Oh yes, the Lorcin is an excellent choice for a defensive pistol."  (If you throw it at him)

[grenade]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I made the mistake of wearing my Barrett Mfg t-shirt to a gun show one day. There must have been a hundred different people come up to me by the time I left the show and tell me they were Scout Snipers in the USMC and served in the Gulf. We have every Scout Sniper that ever served, and they all live in Nashville TN!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Although the Barrett M82A1 Rifle was used as a sniper rifle, that was not the primary reason it was procurred.  The main use was as an unexploded ordnance disrupter in Explosive Ordnance Disposal units.  See the link:  
[url]http://www-acala1.ria.army.mil/LC/cs/csi/sahist.htm#M82A1[/url]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i've got a good one.  i was at gun show and a vendor  there told me that there were police departments that were using the hi-point carbines (yea the $149 one).  i suppose it was only by chance that he too was selling hi-point carbines equipted with red dot scopes and all other sorts of accesories.  

i must say my little brotehr and i got quite a chuckle from that fella.  sloth  
View Quote

I actually saw some video shot during a manhunt for an escaped con, sure enough, an officer was carrying a Hi-point, I wish I could remember which department it was. I would have laughed in the face of anyone that told that story if I didn't see it myself!
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
These AR parts are made by FN!

-Troy
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, FN does have a U.S. defense contract to make M16 parts, if not the entire rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top