Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 11:25:28 AM EDT
This is pretty funny, at least in my sick mind.

[b]Man attacks father, claiming Dad is bin Laden[/b]

NEWTON, N.J. (AP) -- A man threatened to kill his father with a carving knife because he thought his dad was Osama bin Laden, prosecutors said.

Matthew Doherty, 24, of Sparta, is being held at the Sussex County Jail on $15,000 bail.

Before considering Dougherty for release, Superior Court Judge N. Peter Conforti wants to see a report from the Ann Klein Forensic Hospital, which evaluated the man for three weeks.

Conforti also ordered Doherty, who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, to undergo a mental health evaluation.

Assistant Sussex County Prosecutor Robert Klingenburg described a letter Dougherty allegedly wrote to explain why he confused his father with the leader of the al-Qaida terrorist network.

"The letter says his father was taken to Afghanistan and switched with Osama bin Laden," Klingenburg said. "He attacked his father because he thought he was Osama bin Laden."

Doherty was arrested March 12 and charged with weapons possession, assault, making terroristic threats, and resisting arrest.

On Thursday, Doherty admitted to the judge that he suffered from bipolar disorder and said Ann Klein clinicians determined his manic depression was in full remission.

"My parents would like to have me out here as soon as possible," he said.

[url=www.nj.com/newsflash/jersey/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?j0127_BC_NJ--FatherAttacked-Bi&&news&newsflash-newjersey]Article[/url]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top