Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2002 6:36:33 AM EDT
I was just reading a post and it appears some people with many guns either have no gunsafe or are just now getting a gunsafe.

I'll make a poll.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Two Wal-Mart cheapies, but I am thinking about getting a modular next.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a 12 gun safe.  I've had it for about 8-9 years now.  Three kids in the house.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn you guys are quick.  30 seconds to create a poll and 9 people have already read it. lol.

Btw, I don't understand why some of you don't have gunsafes.  If I had over 1500 dollars invested in guns, I'd damn sure have a safe.

Another question could be, cheap safe or 'real' safe. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Since the baby came along and the collection outgrew the coner of the closet it became a nesscessity
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You forgot "more than one safe."  [:D]
View Quote

Ha, I was thinking of adding that one, but you only get 5 choices.  I figure you pick the first option if you have multiple safes.

And like thebeekeeper1 says, any safe is better than no safe.  Doesn't have to be pretty.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a safe and one gun, a chaingun, but it won't fit in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely, and anyone who doesn't secure their weapons against children and burglars (or the Hamburgler [:)] ) shouldn't own guns.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats my next big purchase.  Right now, they are kept in a closet that I have made into my gun storage area.  It is deadbolted.....wont stop theives, but it does at least protect against my 5 year old.  I have got to get one....any suggestions on a economical model that would hold at least 15 long guns plus a few pistols?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I leave everything on the front lawn with boxes of ammo and landmines all around.[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absolutely, and anyone who doesn't secure their weapons against children and burglars (or the Hamburgler [:)] ) shouldn't own guns.

View Quote

I HOPE you are kidding.  It's my *%$#&damn right to store my possessions as I see fit.  I dont tell you how to live your life.  

You prefer a law requiring a standard of gun safe that anyone has to own?

Is it good sense?  Sure.  Does it protect the investment?  Sure.  Should it be required to own guns?  [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/brdflick.gif[/img]

The very idea of what you said makes my blood boil.  A gun owner, and enthusiast, stating factors of why some people should not own guns... especially based on something as simple as storage,  makes me sick.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I leave everything on the front lawn with boxes of ammo and landmines all around.[whacko]
View Quote

That would imply that you're actually old enough to own a gun...

[:P]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I HOPE you are kidding.  It's my *%$#&damn right to store my possessions as I see fit.  I dont tell you how to live your life.  

Is it good sense?  Sure.  Does it protect the investment?  Sure.  Should it be required to own guns?  [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/brdflick.gif[/img]

The very idea of what you said makes my blood boil.  A gun owner, and enthusiast, stating factors of why some people should not own guns... especially based on something as simple as storage,  makes me sick.
View Quote

Just my opinion of our responsibilities as gun owners.  

How sick would you be if some SOB steals your guns and uses them to kill or rob somebody, like your neighbor/wife/daughter?  Would you feel at all responsible if you hadn't taken basic and simple precautions?  Can you protect your guns 24/7?

You own (and USE) gun safes.  Why?  Isn't security important for these reasons as well as the ones you've stated?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#16]
In a perfect society, we wouldn't need gun safes, no need to take the keys out of our car ignitions.  Leave the front door open etc.  1000 yard range in every backyard.  etc etc.

We as of yet, do not have a 'perfect' society.  Therefore a gunsafe is a reasonable means of security for your guns.

While I don't think it should be mandatory, it should be prudent to secure them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#18]
take a look at what you own, estimate the replacement cost. IF you were able to replace them, ask yourself 'are they worth 1500 bucks to insure against simple theft'?

20 years ago, B&E was not as common, I lived in a rural area, dirt roads, not much traffic.  five other neighbors were also hit while house was empty, several reported a van with several occupants knocking on doors asking for water for over heating radiator at homes that were occupied.

after I lost all weapons - some out of production collector items IN A LOCKED GUN CASE, jewelry, appliances and electronics I also found out insurance covers a few hundred dollars in replacement value on these items.  if you want to REGISTER them with the insurance company you can add a rider to your policy.

it was over five years before I purchased another firearm, having nothing left but my service revolver during that period (only detectives could carry semi-auto).  my daughter was 6 years old, had nightmares for months afterward, would run to her room when she got home from school and check on her dolls.

If you store them in closets, drawers or under the bed, you may as well leave them by the front door to make them easier to carry out.

an inexpensive safe is better than no safe.  I had to start economical - it would at least slow them down, and eventually upgraded.  now I use the economical to store ammo, parts.

I also had two doberman's, they were obviously drugged, would sleep, wake up for a few minutes and walk around, and then go back to sleep.  they did this for a couple of days.
call 911? - hell i was 911, nothing to do at that point but write the report for the insurance company.

if you can't buy big - buy something.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Just reading about others' stories about thefts inspired me to finally get a safe.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
anyone who doesn't secure their weapons against children and burglars (or the Hamburgler [:)] ) shouldn't own guns.

View Quote

Well, you are entitled to your opinions, but you make me want to [puke]

I agree, safes are a very sound idea.  Nothing wrong with your strong belief that you should have all yours in a safe.  A safe is a prudent way to protect ones investments, as I have said.

But spewing crap about people who dont own a safe should not be allowed to own guns????  Gimme a break.  Like I said, I feel that goes directly against the principles of the founding of this country.

I believe in freedom.  And responsibility.  

Wearing a seat belt is a good idea.  To force everyone to protect themselves is unconstitutional in my opinion....  

I do think that gun owners share a responsibility to practice safe handling and shooting habits, and that includes storage.  But I sure dont want to tell anyone what level that should be.  Even if it is a good idea, to do so makes me sick.  If I want to keep my rifle in my closet, and my pistol in my mattress, that's my g%&*damn business, and none of yours.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That would imply that you're actually old enough to own a gun...

[:P]
View Quote

Don't make me throw my diaper at you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#22]
A safe is almost a necessity these days. I have a very nice Browning I bought 15 years ago. It has served me well and I have never regretted buying it. The light weight safes are better then nothing but you had better plan on lag bolting them down to the floor and wall. Better yet place it into a corner lag to the floor and two walls. Otherwise you just gave the evil doers a handy container to carry your guns off in. Many of you I'm sure have gun collections that can run into the thousands or even tens of thousands a gun safe is a smart investment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Lumpy223 has it right...BUY BIG.  REAL BIG!

Whatever your initial intention is, double it.
Add the extra height to it, too.  
It'll be worth it.

Contrary to popular belief, a safe is not only for storing firearms.
A lot of other 'things' will end up in there, hence the need to SUPER SIZE it.

A safe is a very good investment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, 2 safes. I have three kids in the house.
FRIZ
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, almost 90% of my safe sales are "after the fact."

They order a safe right after someone breaks in their house and takes...

Guns, usually several of them. Even the ones you hid really well.

Jewelry, even the important stuff. Like what you've given the wife over the years. And of course the stuff your parents handed down from the family.

Cash, the stuff you keep for emergencies and hid really well.

Video cams, dig cams, night vision, binos and your other cool gadgets.

Your kids (or your) PC/Playstation games.

Luckily they usually don't take your clthes, family photos, dishes and such. But they sure as hell trash the hell out of it while looking for the stuff they do want.

I know many of you cannot afford a safe right now. But think about this. One robbery is more costly than a safe. Just one, will usually result in loss of property, not to mention irreplacable sentimental items, worth far more than the cost of a safe.

My advice, buy a safe, buy a big one. Put more than guns in it. Also put the safe someplace kinda tight, like in a closet. Keeps it outta view and doesn't give much room to "work" on it. Also remember, shelves are as important as rack space.

Maybe Moe from FSN will enlighten some of you. He just got tagged, but had a safe. They made a mess, broke some stuff, but didn't get much. He still has his guns. You can sweep up for free.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I had over 1500 dollars invested in guns, I'd damn sure have a safe.[:D]
View Quote

I think you left off a few 0's there...
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
This is a good reason why you should own a safe...

[url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/2056855p-2348577c.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Why I am I replying to this when no one will ever read it because it is way at the end of the posting.

I have a gunsafe.

They never hold as many guns as they say they will.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I got burglerized about 15 years ago.
They took 18 guns,tools,jewlery and even my wifes wedding ring.
Don't let this happen to you.
I'm not an accountant but a safe might even be a Tax "write off" for you.
My wife is the stingy one and she even thought it was a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Add this to the thinking if you live in CA.  About half of the guns I own I can't buy again in CA.  My guns are insured and locked in a 900lb fire proof safe.  If they're stolen and I get the money I still can't buy back my pre assault weapon ban, pre handgun test, pre ban hi-cap mags that I can't buy again in CA.

And like its been said before in this thread think about your investment, I have over $2000 in hi-cap hand gun mags alone, and over $25,000 in guns! The $1,800 investment in the safe is well worth it.  Plus you can store any other valuables or important papers you have in the thing.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC a kalifornia law similar to that took effect this year!

Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I have always kept my guns safe from unauthorized use, I keep my doors locked.

Fred
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why I am I replying to this when no one will ever read it because it is way at the end of the posting.

I have a gunsafe.

They never hold as many guns as they say they will.
View Quote

I read it. [:)]  And you are correct.  Scopes, slings, pistol grips, charging handles, bolt handles etc take up lots of space.  A 30 gun safe can probably store about 20.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Forgot to say the most important thing about safes.  I learned it on this forum but when you think about it, it is common sense.

[b]Always keep a WORKING flashlight on the top of your safe.[/b]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I propose a gun control measure that EVERY tax payer will be forced to support.

To prevent guns from getting into the "wrong hands" and to provide a measure of security "for the children", the government should issue vouchers to gun onwers so that they may obtain a safe. Obviously it would have to be a safe or average costs and size. And you would only get one voucher per 15 owned firearms.

If only one life is saved, or one gun kept out of the wrong hands, the enourmous cost to tax payers, including Democrats, will all be worth it.

Who's with me?[:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I own a [b]good[/b] gunsafe.

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Here in California having a qualifying safe will mean you do not have to purchase that otherwise mandatory trigger lock with a gun.  

California Gun Laws for 2002

Printable Page

Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within
                                     California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety
                                                                            device.

The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:

Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to
                                          taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the
                                          firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model of the device.
                                          The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
                                          The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law
                                          enforcement purposes.
                                          Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe.  Ownership may
                                          be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer:     1)  A receipt indicating purchase of, or an
                                          affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit,
                                          signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ
                                          regulations as described below.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#39]
cont.

Regulatory Gun Safe Standards

DOJ regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet either:

All of the following requirements:

1.Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
                               2.Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock.
                                  The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible
                                 combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols.  The lock shall be protected
                                 by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength.
                               3.Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least * inch thickness that intrude
                                 from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the
                                 safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
                               4.Shall be capable of repeated use.  The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge
                                 thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for
                                 safes with two walls.  Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one
                                 layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction.
                               5.Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door.  Protective features include, but
                                 are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jewelerÕs
                                 lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

or

All of the following requirements:

1.Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
                               2.Is able to fully contain firearms;
                               3.Provides for the secure storage of firearms
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I had only a steel security style cabinet locked in my closet upstairs. I had a break in where they kicked in my bedroom door, kicked in my closet door and tried to kick in the steel security cabinet.

Luckily it held as the perps were teenage amateurs who did not take the time to use any tools on the cabinet.

I now have a monitored security system, very well secured hardcore door on the walk-in (long deadbolt, steel reinforced strike mounted with VERY long screws, security hinges mounted the same) and a real gun safe bolted into the same closet with a removable handle which is removed and hidden when the safe is locked.

The whole thing is 25 steps upstairs and around a very tight corner, so if they can get them now they would really have to work at it. It took 4 people to get it up the stairs and around the corner when it was empty.

I am comptemplating further measures for this closet, which functions as my safe room.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I just ordered a nice Browning safe.  It should take 4-6 weeks to deliver.  I ordered from  a guy in WA for a lot less then at the stores.

Also get one of those EXPLOSIVES stickers and put in on the side of your safe.  It will make them think twice about blow torching your safe open.  A lot of us reload and have gunpowder in there so its a good precaution.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#42]
If the value of your guns equals or exceeds the cost of a good safe, you are irresponsible for not buying one.

Spend the money and get a good fire lined safe.  Then hide the safe and let any a Very select group of people (as small a group as possible) know where the key is hidden and the combination.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
thebeekeeper1 : Do you know of an auction site where I can get an old safe ? [8D]

(I do already have a safe its just getting smaller and smaller)
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have always kept my guns safe from unauthorized use, I keep my doors locked.

Fred
View Quote

Better keep your homeowner's insurance paid. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Yes, it's paid. And I also have a safe. But once you have broken into my home and stolen my gun, it's your liability, the lawyers be damned.

Fred
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Do I need a safe ?? YES !!  BUT.......It pisses me off that I spent so much $$$ for a safe, when I could have bought more guns !!!  I really fail to see why a big steel box with some sheetrock in it costs so much.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
anyone who doesn't secure their weapons against children and burglars (or the Hamburgler [:)] ) shouldn't own guns.

View Quote

Well, you are entitled to your opinions, but you make me want to [puke]

I agree, safes are a very sound idea.  Nothing wrong with your strong belief that you should have all yours in a safe.  A safe is a prudent way to protect ones investments, as I have said.

But spewing crap about people who dont own a safe should not be allowed to own guns????  Gimme a break.  Like I said, I feel that goes directly against the principles of the founding of this country.

I believe in freedom.  And responsibility.  

Wearing a seat belt is a good idea.  To force everyone to protect themselves is unconstitutional in my opinion....  

I do think that gun owners share a responsibility to practice safe handling and shooting habits, and that includes storage.  But I sure dont want to tell anyone what level that should be.  Even if it is a good idea, to do so makes me sick.  If I want to keep my rifle in my closet, and my pistol in my mattress, that's my g%&*damn business, and none of yours.
View Quote

Maybe you ought to try a little compazine or some Reglan- you certainly seem to have a easily upset stomach.  I understand Marinol is good for nausea... [:D]

Seriously, I don't think legislation is necessarily the answer, but I do believe every gun owner has a moral and ethical responsibility to secure their weapons efectively.

In Netherlands, (and Finland?) IIRC, you're allowed almost ANY weapon (including silencers), but are required to demonstrate adequate security measures including safe storage facilities.  Works for me!

Personally, I don't think the 2nd amend. doesn't give permission to some yahoo to keep guns easily available, either to kids or to crooks.  If you or your family were hurt by someone under those circumstances, I'd bet you'd go after the negligent gun owner, as I would.  I think in those situations, it IS my business.  It seems that we mostly agree, and I'll bet you DON'T leave a pistol under the mattress...

Want some of that Marinol? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Personally, I don't think the 2nd amend. doesn't give permission to some yahoo to keep guns easily available, either to kids or to crooks.  If you or your family were hurt by someone under those circumstances, I'd bet you'd go after the negligent gun owner, as I would.  I think in those situations, it IS my business.  It seems that we mostly agree, and I'll bet you DON'T leave a pistol under the mattress...
View Quote

FWIW, and emphatic [b]NO[/b] here.  If some scumbag broke into someone's house and stole their gun and later used it in a crime (including against my family), the original owner would in my mind in no way shape or form be at all responsible.  It is the scumbag who stole it, and the scumbag who commited the crime.  What you are talking about is a very slipperly slope.  Should I not be able to carry a gun because someone may be able to disarm me and later use that gun in a crime?  What are "reasonable" precautions in securing your firearms?  You may think it is a safe.  Others may think it is trigger locks.  Do you need to keep them all unloaded and store the ammo also locked up) separately?  Others may think all of the above plus registering all your guns with the gov't "reasonable".   Would you only required to do this when not on the premesis?  If not, what use is a gun for self defense if you need to open the safe, take off the trigger lock, unlock the ammo, and then load the gun?  Sure, that is not exactly what you are proposing, but it is exactly what opening the door on any storage requirements could very well lead to.

Many people only own one gun.  They are not firearms enthusiasts, they just wish to protect themselves.   Do they need to spend $1500 for an 800lb gun safe to store one gun?  If not, and that gun is stolen is it any less likely to be used in a crime than a gun that was in someone's large collection?  What if that person can't afford it?  Do we deny those of low income who can only afford, say, a $200 gun the right of self protection because they can't afford the safe to go along with it?

To look at it from another angle, if someone steals your car to go for a joy ride and ends up getting in an accident and killing/hurting someone else, should the owner of the car be responsible?  After all, everyone knows that any thief can get past door and ignition locks without a problem.  Should we require everyone to get alarms, even for their $500 beaters?  Then again, everyone knows that alarms don't stop professional theives either.  Should we make people buy a LoJack or similar system so the theives can be found ASAP?  Or maybe we should require everyone to have a garage and require that they lock up their cars after dark.  No leaving your car in any large city either.  We all know that the crime rate is higher in big cities - it would be very unresponsible for a car owner to leave his car just sitting there just protected by conventional locks.  You never know who may come along steal it, and have a head on collision with someone...

Anyway, I hope you make my point.  The person responsible in any of these cases is the CRIMINAL.  Not the law abiding gun owner.  To suggest otherwise also turns my stomach.

Do I have a safe?  Yes.  Do I advocate others get a safe to protect their investments?  YES!!!  Do I think it should be required? No.  Do I think those who chose not to get a safe are irresponsible?  Hell no!

Rocko
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top