Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poll fail.  Should be measured as a % of take-home or gross income.

I have a theory.  Personally I've read the statistic on raising a child.  However, having 4 children of my own I can say that the cost of raising those children is substantially lower than what is published.  Without children my housing cost would be the same, perhaps my home would be configured in a different way, or I might have different amenities.   The cost for nutritional food is the same for big earners and low earners.  There are all the other miscellaneous cost, but in my opinion there is a base $ amount needed.  

A father with an affluent income might provide expensive activities, private school tuition, and more expensive clothes and toys....but those are extras and not necessities.  When the father is divorced, even with a good income.  He has to provide at minimum another home and everything that goes with it, and stock a second pantry with food.   A woman who receives "court ordered child support" benefits.   Society says the children must be provided the lifestyle for which they are accustomed, which means the custodial parent enjoys that same environment.   It is tantamount to hidden alimony.   If the father wants the children, has a better income, and is a good father then in my opinion then he should get the children.  If the mothers income potential is less, and she fights and wins the custody then her overhead cost should be adjusted to HER income.   Child Support should then be calculated off of that amount.

So the poll isn't a "fail".  In my opinion child support should be standard, or capped.   A custodial parent benefits from the custody payment.  At the very least there should be a way to calculate this "excess" and the father be given a tax deduction.   If you are at a 30% marginal Federal tax rate with state income tax thrown in, then you are paying a much higher percentage of your net after tax income than a father who is at an 18% marginal federal tax bracket.   So in my opinion gross percentage of income is a travesty.    

I want hard dollars, not percentage of gross income.

your theory may be correct but it is not the law in most areas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
$1123 a month on $4075 a month gross.  Don't even ask...

for how many kids? That's about right in NY for 2-not including reimbursement for day care/babysitting

At the risk of incurring the wrath of that which is GD, it's on 8 children.  One X wife, all with her, no twins.  Just all stupid.

Jeebus man... never heard of birth control?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one child with my second wife. She gets $521 a month for him. That was based off of a $40,000 a year job that I had at the time. Thank God she has no idea what I make now. The court/state enforces the payments by destroying your credit or sending you to jail if you fail to keep current BUT doesn't enforce any of the visitations set up in the court order. I tried to sue twice to have my visitation privileges enforced and the court tossed it both times.They don't want to deal with parents in two different states having a court battle in the courts state. I have no idea where my son lives now and haven't seen him in 8 years.

I'm not a fan of out how much of a litigious society our country is becoming, but in that case I would sue... for everything she had plus a few times. That's crap right there, I feel for you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine was $475/month plus any medical/dental not covered by insurance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
here's what i get to do next month:

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a theory.  Personally I've read the statistic on raising a child.  However, having 4 children of my own I can say that the cost of raising those children is substantially lower than what is published.  Without children my housing cost would be the same, perhaps my home would be configured in a different way, or I might have different amenities.   The cost for nutritional food is the same for big earners and low earners.  There are all the other miscellaneous cost, but in my opinion there is a base $ amount needed.  

A father with an affluent income might provide expensive activities, private school tuition, and more expensive clothes and toys....but those are extras and not necessities.  When the father is divorced, even with a good income.  He has to provide at minimum another home and everything that goes with it, and stock a second pantry with food.   A woman who receives "court ordered child support" benefits.   Society says the children must be provided the lifestyle for which they are accustomed, which means the custodial parent enjoys that same environment.   It is tantamount to hidden alimony.   If the father wants the children, has a better income, and is a good father then in my opinion then he should get the children.  If the mothers income potential is less, and she fights and wins the custody then her overhead cost should be adjusted to HER income.   Child Support should then be calculated off of that amount.

So the poll isn't a "fail".  In my opinion child support should be standard, or capped.   A custodial parent benefits from the custody payment.  At the very least there should be a way to calculate this "excess" and the father be given a tax deduction.   If you are at a 30% marginal Federal tax rate with state income tax thrown in, then you are paying a much higher percentage of your net after tax income than a father who is at an 18% marginal federal tax bracket.   So in my opinion gross percentage of income is a travesty.    

Most fathers don't want the children full time.

Then what?    

And most women are money grubbing bitches.

See what I did there

Sure, except my statement is a fact and yours is purely emotional and wish based.

Take a Midol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#7]
$2000 a month for my two girls.

Edit - I am not complaining at all. I consider my monetary contribution the least I can do since I can't be with them every day. The money allows their mother to stay in a nice part of town, and go a nice school.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#8]
$870 a month for my son.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
$525.95 for my daughter
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#10]
About 50% of my take home plus half of expenses - I have to work a second full time job to support my wife and other 2 kids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what?    

See what I did there

Sure, except my statement is a fact and yours is purely emotional and wish based.  

Take a Midol.

LOL.  Fact based
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My child support - $1,500 per kid x 2 = $3,000 per month.

Alimony = $12,000 a month for life or until she remarries.

ETA: I also pay their private school tuition - $17,000 x 2 = $34,000 per year.

How long were you married?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Divorce is absolutely devastating on its own, but when children are involved it is worse.  

It is tough on the kids.  Sometimes going to DEFCON 1 is the only option.   With that said, there is still a double standard.  Mothers have to really screw up to lose their rights as the custodial parent.   Woman seem to have all the option, men don't.  Woman can stay at home with absolutely no societal stigma, in fact they are admired for being a stay at home mom amd sacrificing career.  Men who are stay at home dads, unless they are financially independent, are looked down upon (maybe not to their face)  Woman can also have a career, and that's ok.   Men are expected to financially provide. If a family runs into financial problems the man is considered responsible.  The only problem I have with equality of the sexes are these hypercrisy.

We all know the custodial parent benefits from court ordered child support.   The custodial parent shares the roof, utilities, and food that these payments provide.  

I'm curious what various court ordered child support do divorced none-custodial fathers end up paying.   I know a lot of fathers go above and beyond this amount, but in the POLL ONLY INCLUDE TOTAL COURT ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT.

Survey above

What are you, a feminist?  

...no.   However, I am practicing what society, the feminist movement, government, and the media preach.   Woman are equal and the same as men.   However, society and the laws, or at least the application of the laws when it comes to divorce and child support, seem to unequal.   IF a father wants to walk away from his children, or simple wants to be a visitation dad then perhaps child support should be broken down so that it compensates the custodial parent for their time and energy raising the children.  However, that is not often the case.  Mothers have to really screw up to lose their option to retain custody.   All things being equal, good mother and good father both wanting the children to live with them the mother is going to win, and with that win comes child support.  

I understand the law, but the intent of the law is to make sure that parents don't financially abandoned their children.  A parents obligation to provide nutritious food, shelter, clothing, and facilitate the education of the children so that they may grow into adults does not end with marriage.  I get it.  

But a perfectly rational law would accurately intemize the basic cost for raising a child, that cost is NOT a percentage of a parents income.  The food cost for all children are the same regardless of a parent's income.   Housing and utility cost for shelter can be averaged.   Providing basic clothing could also be estimated or averaged.   The same might be said for transportation and communication.   Medical and dental insurance costs are fixed for at least a year at a time.   All of these are the basic cost for support of a child.

Private school tuition, entertainment, summer camps, activities, "expensive" clothing, and toys are discretionary expenses that fathers may pay.   However, they aren't necessities.   Good fathers will do all they can to enrich their children's lives and provide these luxuries to the kids if they can afford them.   I think for these types of expenses divorced fathers should be treated like married fathers.   The court isn't going put a married father in jail if he doesn't provide his children these luxuries.  

The thing is our society is hypocritical.   We say woman should be treated exactly like men, but the application of that principal only occurs if it is in the woman's best interest, or desire.  She has choice.  We also treat mothers and fathers differently.  

So no, I am not a feminist.   I am a rational objectivist
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I get off pretty easy.  State takes a base $725 a month, I carry insurance on teh children (2), and cover 50% of all copays etc.  Usually work out to be about 1200-1400 a month since I have them three days a week and that takes another $100 or $300 depending on what adventures we do that week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then what?    

See what I did there

Take a Midol.

LOL.  Fact based

It is fact based.

I practice family law and know a lot of attorneys that do.

Men who actually want custody and will fight for it are rare.

As I said before, most of my male clients that actually want it, have it.

Maybe half of the rest of my clients say they want it, but when push comes to shove, they settle for visitation with no complaints.

The other half simply don't want it.  They may want a lot of visitation - and they usually get it - but they don't want to have physical custody.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It is fact based.

Maybe half of the rest of my clients say they want it, but when push comes to shove, they settle for visitation with no complaints.

The other half simply don't want it.  They may want a lot of visitation - and they usually get it - but they don't want to have physical custody.
 [/div]

Where were you when I got divorced???
My lawyer threw me under the bus, and settled with the judge without asking me first. (which is why he didn't get paid)
I wanted custody, and would have spend my life savings fighting for it. Now I have to prove she's unfit (which she isn't) in order to change custody arrangements.
My ass was sore for a year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what?    

See what I did there

Take a Midol.

LOL.  Fact based

It is fact based.

that's a pretty big factor right there.  maybe if i had, say, 20% more income

it took 6 years before my dad was finally able to get custody of me...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#18]
0 - nothing, nada. I had a very good lawyer + I took my time and played the game right. I have no child support for 2 kids, no alimony, nothing. And trust me my kids are not suffering or hurting for anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Two months ago, my wife's brother just wrote his last check for child support. He's had a few over the years with four women and made good on every penny.

By the way...he paid child support for 35 consecutive years with no breaks.

That's got to be some kind of record

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

13 years

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what?    

See what I did there

Take a Midol.

LOL.  Fact based

It is fact based.

I've got a few lawyers in the family too bud.  Their experiences don't necessarily mirror yours.

BS flag will remain hoisted and appropriate posts will continue to be lol'd at.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

13 years

Nondurational maintenance for a 13 year marriage would be rare up here in NY, barring some kind of special circumstance.  Does she work or have marketable job skills?  How old was she when you got divorced?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then what?    

See what I did there

Take a Midol.

LOL.  Fact based

It is fact based.

I've got a few lawyers in the family too bud.  Their experiences don't necessarily mirror yours.

BS flag will remain hoisted and appropriate posts will continue to be lol'd at.

Do they practice family law?

Laugh all you want.  This is what I do, every day, and I happen to know quite a lot about it.  Certainly more than you do.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how many men who have answered this poll fought for full custody and didn't get it.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fact based.

[/div]

My lawyer threw me under the bus, and settled with the judge without asking me first. (which is why he didn't get paid)
I wanted custody, and would have spend my life savings fighting for it. Now I have to prove she's unfit (which she isn't) in order to change custody arrangements.

Not fighting for custody is the result of cultural conditioning.  Oh, and lets face it.  If a fight for custody ensues the divorce attorneys are going to pull off the gloves. Lets face it, the once happily married couple knows lots of dirt about each other and divorce lawyers love for it to get bloody.  Paying thousands of dollars to get ass raped in court kinda sucks.  I think a lot of men would chew their own foot off to end a divorce proceeding.    

Besides, with all due respect to the attorney the divorce process is harsh enough.   I think woman are better suited for it.  They don't seem to mind airing out their dirty laundry for the world to see.  If I could wave a magic wand I would eliminate state marriage altogether.  I would allow couples to optionally form legally binding domestic partnerships, but it would be optional.  If a couple decided to enter into a legally binding partnership I would require the agreement to be comprehensive and detailed.   All marriages wold have a "free look" period of no less than one year.   The young "in love" couple would be required to meet with out- of-work-divorce attorneys to review the agreements point by point.  Their agreement on each point would be voice recorded, and video taped, and a court appointed stinagrapher would take notes.  The agreement would require every partnership to put in place a dissolution agreement, and require that agreement to be updated every 7 years or 30 days after material change occures (child is born).   The dissolution agreement would itemize which assets are whose, and clearly define the rolls and responsibilities of each party including expenses.   Divorce is the most miserable and tedious process known to man.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wonder how many men who have answered this poll fought for full custody and didn't get it.  

I would have, but my lawyer screwed me out of it.

One of the problems I faced, was that my ex and I wanted to have "split" custody, where the girls lived with me every other week. The judge that presided over our case initially didn't "like that idea", and forced us to choose a primary residence, and then my lawyer threw in the towel. Since when do a lawyer and judge know whats best for my family?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

13 years

Nondurational maintenance for a 13 year marriage would be rare up here in NY, barring some kind of special circumstance.  Does she work or have marketable job skills?  How old was she when you got divorced?

She does not work but does have marketable job skills. She was a surgical equipment rep. when we married and was making very good money ($60,000 annually). She was 40 when we divorced. Permanent alimony kicks in in Florida after 11.5 years of marriage and is contingent on the paying spouse's income. At least that's how I understood it.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the problems I faced, was that my ex and I wanted to have "split" custody, where the girls lived with me every other week. The judge that presided over our case initially didn't "like that idea", and forced us to choose a primary residence, and then my lawyer threw in the towel. Since when do a lawyer and judge know whats best for my family?

I know many who have 50/50.  Though how the "time" is figured up I have no idea.  I mean, I don't know if it's court ordered or if they just handle it themselves.

But, I don't understand how a lawyer can screw you out of that, especially when your ex-wife was agreeable to it?  Couldn't you just say to the judge (or both of you) that you want joint custody and to work on the time issues?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$1500 a month plus 60% of all expenses for two kids.

Damn.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I did not. My kids live five minutes from me and I see and have visitation with them as often as I want. I have to do a lot of International travel for my business so taking custody of the kid's wasn't really a option. Besides my ex-wife may be a lot of things but she is a good mother.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When my wife and I were divorced (we remarried in January), I paid her $1150 per month. One child.

-Mark

Cheaper to get remarried eh?

Did you have another ceremony?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know many who have 50/50.  Though how the "time" is figured up I have no idea.  I mean, I don't know if it's court ordered or if they just handle it themselves.  

But, I don't understand how a lawyer can screw you out of that, especially when your ex-wife was agreeable to it?  Couldn't you just say to the judge (or both of you) that you want joint custody and to work on the time issues?

The lawyers had us split up in different rooms, and we were negotiating back and forth. The judge refused to allow split-physical custody, and without talking to me first, the lawyer offered joint legal, and sole physical, with visitation.
Once the wife had full custody, she refused to go back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

13 years

She does not work but does have marketable job skills. She was a surgical equipment rep. when we married and was making very good money ($60,000 annually). She was 40 when we divorced. Permanent alimony kicks in in Florida after 11.5 years of marriage and is contingent on the paying spouse's income. At least that's how I understood it.  

Wow.  The rules here are not so hard and fast; it's discretionary.  There are forces trying to change that, though.

Generally around here, the judges award between 25% and 33% of the difference in income, for between 25% and 33% of the length of the marriage.  There are numerous factors, including the length of the marriage, length of any pre-divorce separation, job skills of the payee spouse, age of the parties, etc.  Maintenance is not automatic.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lawyers had us split up in different rooms, and we were negotiating back and forth. The judge refused to allow split-physical custody, and without talking to me first, the lawyer offered joint legal, and sole physical, with visitation.

Once the wife had full custody, she refused to go back.

Ugh.  That sucks.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is fact based.

[/div]

I'm truly sorry to hear that.  There are good and bad in every profession, and it sounds like you had a bad lawyer.  How old are your children now?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fact based.

[/div]

I'm truly sorry to hear that.  There are good and bad in every profession, and it sounds like you had a bad lawyer.  How old are your children now?

7 and 8
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#37]
$900 per month for 1 child
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have custody of my 2 kids and their mother pays $50/month. She's suppose to pay 50% of all medical plus 50% of daycare costs but until she exceeds the poverty limit, she doesn't have to pay. Right now, she'd rather live on welfare than support the kids.

Good thing they live with me!

Change it from 2 kids to 1 kid, and mine is exactly the same.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I am very fortunate in that I was awarded custody of my daughter.  My EX pays $650 a month in CS.  She also pays for Health insurance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]
There's nothing like having a job which should pay your bills only to have the courts take so much of it that you can only afford to eat more than a bowl of rice or mac & cheese or other simple shit.

Then when you try to explain the hardship to the courts they accuse you of not loving your child. "Obviously you don't care because you don't want to pay child support".
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There's nothing like having a job which should pay your bills only to have the courts take so much of it that you can only afford to eat more than a bowl of rice or mac & cheese or other simple shit.

Then when you try to explain the hardship to the courts they accuse you of not loving your child. "Obviously you don't care because you don't want to pay child support".

That is why I married a rich woman.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why I married a rich woman.

I ain't that good lookin'.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I did, TWICE over a 2 year period. Judge didn't like how the first suit was written up and threw it out before it could hit the court. The second time I had my lawyer do a much better job with all the paperwork, judge threw it out again. He didn't want the hassle of having parents living in two different states fighting it out in his court in a totally different state. Cost way more than I could afford but I managed to pay the attourney fee's and was basically told that a third try would end the same way. Yea, the courts are really fair to the father.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I did twice. Once I was told by the Judge "you're a man, you work for a living, why would you want to yank this child from her mother?"

Even though I've been ahead on my CS payments I spent $30K fighting to make her abide by the visititation order. Don't pay CS, go to jail, do provide court ordered visitation......sucks to be you

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is fact based.

[/div]

7 and 8

Well, depending on your state's laws, they may be able to decide for themselves in a few years.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did, TWICE over a 2 year period. Judge didn't like how the first suit was written up and threw it out before it could hit the court. The second time I had my lawyer do a much better job with all the paperwork, judge threw it out again. He didn't want the hassle of having parents living in two different states fighting it out in his court in a totally different state. Cost way more than I could afford but I managed to pay the attourney fee's and was basically told that a third try would end the same way. Yea, the courts are really fair to the father.

I don't really understand what you mean.  How could it be his court if it was a totally different state.

I don't know the circumstances of your case, but generally you have to meet some kind of burden to change a custody order.  In NY, you have to show a substantial change of circumstances since the previous order was entered.  Sounds like you didn't meet whatever the burden was.

One of my male clients who won custody got taken back to court by the child's mother but she didn't meet the burden.  I moved to dismiss, the judge looked at the other lawyer and indicated that he was inclined to grant my motion, and the other side withdrew the petition.  It does work both ways, believe it or not.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did twice. Once I was told by the Judge "you're a man, you work for a living, why would you want to yank this child from her mother?"

Even though I've been ahead on my CS payments I spent $30K fighting to make her abide by the visititation order. Don't pay CS, go to jail, do provide court ordered visitation......sucks to be you

When you say fought, did you take it to trial?  Because that's what she meant.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When my wife and I were divorced (we remarried in January), I paid her $1150 per month. One child.

-Mark

Cheaper to get remarried eh?

Did you have another ceremony?

Nope. Very few of our extended family knew that we'd divorced anyway. We still took vacations/visited family just the same as we did when we were married.

-Mark
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#49]
for fear of coc violation I will not say what I think about Child support , the judges who act like gods and the women who have all the rights.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
$1500 a month plus 60% of all expenses for two kids.

then what the fuck is the 1500 for??
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top