Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2002 8:46:58 PM EDT
This Question and answer were posted in the Orange County Register: Q. Does the United States attach any conditions to the aid it gives to Israel ? Exactly what sort of aid does Israel get ? A. Under U.S. law, Israel is forbidden from using any U.S. aid in Palestinian areas in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. However, even before the current Israeli offensive, a congressional report alleged that Israel used military equipment it bought with U.S. aid in those areas. Under the most recent budget, Israel is due to recieve $2.04 billion in annual military aid - which must be spent on weapons from U.S. defense contractors - and $720 million in economic aid. When he took office, President George W. Bush continued a 1996 plan to cut economic aid while increasing military aid on the grounds that Israel was thriving and had a standard of living comparable to many European countries. Since then, however, Israel's economy suffered its worst year since 1953 because of Palestinian unrest. Looks to me as if Izzy is breaking U.S. law reguarding U.S. cash cow. but since they are God's "chosen people" this is O.K. (Before someone says I'm anti-semetic or a pro Arafat Palestinian flag waiver, I will point out that I didn't make this up) Nike em' both.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:41:22 PM EDT
Oops.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:54:00 PM EDT
[PC mode on]You anti semite pond scum! How dare you say anything about Israel violating US policy! People like you brought rise to the PLO and PA! [/PC mode off] How in hell would you construe that as anti semitic? Lets see if Eric shows up and starts the flame thrower. Is that flag you're wearing fire proof? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:43:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phoenix5: Looks to me as if Izzy is breaking U.S. law reguarding U.S. cash cow. but since they are God's "chosen people" this is O.K.
View Quote
Yes, that is exactly right. It's because GWB believes the Israelis are God's chosen people. It's too general to be called anti-Semitic. I'll just call it ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:12:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By slt223:
View Quote
Yes, that is exactly right. It's because GWB believes the Israelis are God's chosen people. It's too general to be called anti-Semitic. I'll just call it ignorance.
View Quote
Ignorance on who's part?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:24:26 AM EDT
What jurisdiction does one state have over another's internal affairs? The idea that Congress can govern Israel is silly. Congress can attach conditions to foreign aid bills, but those are binding only upon the members of the executive branch who conduct US diplomacy. So Congress can make the President say to Israel, "Follow these rules or you don't get our helicopters", but if Israel violates the agreement, the US can't send the FBI to Jerusalem to arrest Ariel Sharon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:38:59 AM EDT
Post from Renamed -
So Congress can make the President say to Israel, "Follow these rules or you don't get our helicopters", but if Israel violates the agreement, the US can't send the FBI to Jerusalem to arrest Ariel Sharon.
View Quote
We mean we can't just arrest Sharon? Drats! I'd imagine [u]that[/u] gets a lot of people's knickers in a knot! Eric The(So[u]Don't[/u]BringJanetRenoOutOfRetirement?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 7:47:17 AM EDT by DaMan]
When children misbehave, you should cut off their "allowance"! Isn't that right, Eric the Hun[img]http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/images/smilies/happyyid.gif[/img]???! DaMan
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:58:40 AM EDT
If its ok for the US to destroy terrorists after they attack us once, why is it not ok for Isreal to destroy terrorists after being attacked hundreds of times? Yes Isrealis have killed innocent palestinians, you cant possibly beleive that Americans havn't killed any innocent Afghans. I say f**k the Palistinians, if they cant allow the Jews to exist then they are getting what they deserve.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:19:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ken226: If its ok for the US to destroy terrorists after they attack us once, why is it not ok for Isreal to destroy terrorists after being attacked hundreds of times? Yes Isrealis have killed innocent palestinians, you cant possibly beleive that Americans havn't killed any innocent Afghans. I say f**k the Palistinians, if they cant allow the Jews to exist then they are getting what they deserve.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:24:06 AM EDT
I thought them stealling US nuclear secrets would have been good enough to have them put in jail or something, but from what people told me its alright for allies to spy on eachother.[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:31:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 3:46:24 PM EDT by 5subslr5]
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: Drats! I'd imagine [u]that[/u] gets a lot of people's knickers in a knot! Eric The(So[u]Don't[/u]BringJanetRenoOutOfRetirement?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Strangely I don't believe Sharon should be arrested. Now I do believe that both Arafat and Sharon should be shot and and a bill sent to each of their families for the bullet. If this thing continues for much longer (measured in days and a very few days) the United States economy and the economies of the industrialized world will pay a price for Israeli actions that will be staggering. Ultimately Israel will suffer more harm than good and I believe considerably more harm than good. Neither the Palestinians nor the Israeli's can any longer claim the high road. Watch as the media is forced more and more to report the atrocities of both sides. Watch as public opinion swings somewhat away from the Israelis. Not pro Palestinian you understand but toward more neutrality. Europe and Japan readily understand what is very close to happening - a reduction in oil exports and that oil exported at a higher price. Tony Blair has brought the EU's message to Bush and Bush has heard that message. Bush didn't call Sharon and blast his ass for no reason. "The conversation lasted about 30 minutes and was described by one aid as 'BRUTAL'."
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:36:51 AM EDT
Strangely I don't believe Sharon should be arrested. Now I do believe that both Arafat and Sharon should be shot and and a bill sent to each of their families for the bullet. This is what the Chinese Gov. does. You are not an agent of the PLA are you? Just a little sarcasm!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:40:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Renamed: What jurisdiction does one state have over another's internal affairs? The idea that Congress can govern Israel is silly. Congress can attach conditions to foreign aid bills, but those are binding only upon the members of the executive branch who conduct US diplomacy. So Congress can make the President say to Israel, "Follow these rules or you don't get our helicopters", but if Israel violates the agreement, the US can't send the FBI to Jerusalem to arrest Ariel Sharon.
View Quote
I don't think the point is whether or not Congress can govern any country, or if we can or can't arrest someone, the point goes to the alegation that the conditions of military/economic aid are being violated. If we were talking about China, Columbia, etc, them the public would be screaming to put a stop to such aid. The fact that we are talking about Israel should be no different. So, by your definition, if, say Columbia is killing captured rebels in their (Our) war on drugs, in direct violation to conditions set forth in our supplying aid to Columbia, and we decided to suspend all aid to Columbia, would you say that would be an example of Congress "governing" Columbia ? I think not. This is just another reason to stop supplying Israel with aid. No aid to anyone in the mideast. Do you honestly believe another country would give the U.S. aid if we needed it ? Once again, I think not.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 3:47:31 PM EDT by 5subslr5]
Originally Posted By ar10er: You are not an agent of the PLA are you? Just a little sarcasm!
View Quote
Only part time !
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:51:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:10:32 PM EDT
all i can say is that the palestinians should be pummeled into submission, they have been repeatedly pampered, and catered to at our, and israels expense, and they still act agressively, glad i am not president, i would go over just to help israel open up a can of woopa... on them, we have some new bombs that need to be battle tested, we also need a field report on the new batch of m4 rifles the military has, and when that is done they should be removed from the map, GOD BLESS ISRAEL ok feel free to burn me now...
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:28:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phoenix5: Nike em' both.
View Quote
Yes! Let them contend with the mighty power of a THROWN SHOE!
Top Top