Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/4/2002 8:11:06 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a new AR M4gery. This will need to be a useable weapon, not a 'safe queen'. For the cost and use reasons I have eliminated prebans, Colts, and Armalites. Olympic Arms is currently at the top of my list but I would like your opinions. I have checked out the other forums and done a search but it seems that instead of honest opinions, everyone begins to 'brand bash' and then they become very snooty. Since here in the GD forum we are already snooty and will bash (brands or anything else) at the drop of a hat, I am looking for answers here. Please help and thank you in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:15:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:24:45 AM EDT
I had an Oly PCR5. It was very accurate, but remember: they have a SAAMI chamber, not mil-spec(?). As long as you don't shoot M193 or M855 ammo you should be OK. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:26:57 AM EDT
I've had 2 Oly prebans and liked them very much. No problems and good shooters. I'd reccommend them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:28:42 AM EDT
Mine rocks. Not sure why people dislike Oly so much. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:34:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:35:49 AM EDT
I like mine just fine. I have an Armalite 20" I wanted a carbine and I came across the oly at a gun show for $530. I bought it cause the price was right. You will need to get rid of their crappy pistol grip but a new one should be about 8 bucks. Only problem with mine is the wife likes it so much she has claimed it for her own. She says I can only shoot one at a time so the shorty is hers. Now I have to buy another one. I don't know what is worse. Having a wife who hates guns, or a wife who wants mine for herself! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:41:19 AM EDT
I've been very happy with my Oly equipment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
I have four of them, two preban, two post. I like them all and have never had any problems with them. (Except for 1 20" which I can't get to bump fire) They shoot great and are a good gun for the money. I think most of the bad press that Oly has got is from people "hearing" it from other people that heard it from someone else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:49:05 AM EDT
Where's the photoshop guys - Someone needs to make an "opening a can-o-worms" smiley or the like. Also still holding out for a "talking out your ass" smiley.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:13:03 AM EDT
Oh crap... here we go...[:D] Olympic Arms makes servicable entry level weapons. I think that you would be "satisfied" with an Olympic carbine as a knock about / truck weapon. ***************** [flame]NO FLAME INTENDED[flame] ****************** Here are some things that I don't like and have experienced with Olympic products: A) Tight / improperly machined magazine well(s) B) Mis-indexed hammer and trigger holes, C) Mis-indexed buffer retaining pin hole, D) Tight / improperly machined bolt catch recess, E) Tight chambers, F) Whacky pistol grip, G) Unlined (read: meltable) handguards, H) Cast front sight post, and I) "Hacksaw" barrel crown. If you want a knock about / beater rifle I'd suggest that you get a kit and a RRA receiver.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:39:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schnert: Oh crap... here we go...[:D] Olympic Arms makes servicable entry level weapons. I think that you would be "satisfied" with an Olympic carbine as a knock about / truck weapon. ***************** [flame]NO FLAME INTENDED[flame] ****************** Here are some things that I don't like and have experienced with Olympic products: A) Tight / improperly machined magazine well(s) B) Mis-indexed hammer and trigger holes, C) Mis-indexed buffer retaining pin hole, D) Tight / improperly machined bolt catch recess, E) Tight chambers, F) Whacky pistol grip, G) Unlined (read: meltable) handguards, H) Cast front sight post, and I) "Hacksaw" barrel crown. If you want a knock about / beater rifle I'd suggest that you get a kit and a RRA receiver.
View Quote
Wow thanx, this one time at band camp....... And that was a rifle you actually owned? "tight" chambers, Oly's "match" rifles have .223 sized chambers, their other rifles have 5.56 chambers, at least the new ones since 6/01. Whacky pistol grip, yup Oly has a home made grip, however most of there weapons have a mil-spec looking grip. Unlined handguards, yes they do, because supposedly most of their barrels are heavy barrelled so they don't feel handguard liners ar of any utility. $5.00 option for lined handguards as an option. Hacksaw barrel crown, ??????????????????? When I got my M4gery it came with a steel 10 round mag, that looked like a 20 rounder (USGI shape). It has works fine, it looks like the Bushmaster M-17 mag. FWIW I have a pre-ban OLY that was rebuilt by them as an M-4gery, stainlees barrel, flat-top, bayonet lug, phanton flash suppresor, M-4 style handguards, and the new style OLY folding stock. It was built up then sold to me. Yes it has a cast front sight post, and it is somewhat finicky about mags, esp. out of spec. ones. But it has not had a FTF, or FTE, and is very accurate. And I'm using a mix of new and suprlus ammo, no reloads.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2002 12:02:46 PM EDT by Schnert]
OLY-M4gery, Sorry, I didn't intend to rattle your cage. I was only relating my expereinces with Olympic Arms. My observations are based on Olympic Arms lowers and kits that I've assembled. I'm not dismissing Olympic Arms out of hand. They make a decent product at a decent price. I was simply stating some of the things that I don't like or have had problems with in the past. No offense intended. Jeez, you can't tell the truth about Olympic crap without pi$$ing a whole bunch of people off!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:05:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Schnert: OLY-M4gery, Sorry, I didn't intend to rattle your cage. I was only relating my expereinces with Olympic Arms. My observations are based on Olympic Arms lowers and kits that I've assembled. I'm not dismissing Olympic Arms out of hand. They make a decent product at a decent price. I was simply stating some of the things that I don't like or have had problems with in the past. No offense intended. Jeez, you can't tell the truth about Olympic crap without pi$$ing a whole bunch of people off!
View Quote
None taken, but you seem just a little strident in your description of OLY's products. I think that OLY has QC problems, but that they are also working on getting better. You just have to know waht you need and where to get it. I still don't know why any other free float tubes are being sold since the OLY FIRSH came out........ low price and rock solid.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:11:11 PM EDT
Hey, I got myself a Oly PCR rifle kit with the 20" A2 upper and built it on a RRA lower. No problems whatsoever. I don't have many rounds through it yet, but the only FTFs I've had were with a few handloads. (some non-full length sized stuff was mixed with some full-length sized stuff). Other than that, fit and finish are great. Function is great, and I'm actually really liking the trigger, even though it creeps a little, but it breaks clean, and is not too heavy, maybe at about 5lb. The upper to lower fit is slightly loose, but the pins fit fine. I can't speak too much on accuracy. I haven't shot it in a match, but figure it will do it's part if I do mine! I'll probably end up shooting my Garand in matches (when I get it). IMHO, the Oly is worth it. M@
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:14:31 PM EDT
OLY-M4gery, You're right. Olympic should ditch the tube and go with the FIRSH. I've wrenched up a lot of rifles on Olympic lowers. Some have gone together like butter and others have been a nightmare. I wish that their quality would be a little more consistent, because they're one of the more economical clone manufacturers on the market. I also wish that they'd make an 11.5" barrel with a silver-soldered / blind-pinned ATF approved 6" muzzle brake. I also wish that they'd make an affordable post-ban copy of the SP1.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2002 12:22:59 PM EDT by OLY-M4gery]
I have my OLY-M4gery, and my shooting buddy had a recent OLY 16" carbine kit gun, that someone else built and sold new. Both have very nice triggers and the fit between the uppers and lowers is very nice. Another friend has a tricked up Armalite, FIRSH, Sure-Fire light, M-68(?), folding stock, and tactical sling. Very nice. All of those weapons are better than any of the rifles I used in the military. I think that all the AR makers, that make mil-spec receivers, do a very good job. The problem is QC, some are better than others. Always better to be able to inspect a weapon or major part before you buy it. Regardless of who made it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:31:52 PM EDT
My Oly lower has the tight mag well problem (only on some mags), and the punch pins were a bitch to put in, but I am happy with it. They are not the best, but I don't think they are the worst either. Kyle
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:53:52 PM EDT
The sad part is that it seems that buying from most manufacturers is a crap shoot lately. How many people have been "blessed" by the Bushmaster over torqued barrel complete with canted front sight? The first time that happened to me I thought "Hey every now and then one will slip through." But then it happened to me again. WTF. How many people have been dumbfounded by the "quality" of Colt's current offering? Heck, most Shotgun News Frankenguns are built to a higher standard than current Colts. Boy you gotta love those PLASTIC buffers! Professional Ordnance? Need I say more. My buddy and I both purchased one of their pistols when the price fell like a rock. We soon found out why they were becoming so cheap. They weren't even heavy enough to make good clubs. So, I guess Olympic Arms quality control issues aren't that bad in light of the whole AR racket.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:58:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schnert: So, I guess Olympic Arms quality control issues aren't that bad in light of the whole AR racket.
View Quote
All of the companies have problems. Olympic is no worse than the rest of them. They do supply one of the most accurate rifles with their Ultramatch line, stainless steel broach cut - it is hard to beat for a factory gun. As I have said before, Pay attention to price and Warrenty. If a company has a one year or 3 year warrenty, they must not have a lot of faith in the firearm... mark
Top Top