Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2002 5:01:49 AM EDT
This is a Houston Chronicle article:

"Evidence in the fatal shooting of a burglary suspect by a northeast Houston man early Wednesday will be referred to a grand jury without charges, police said.

Juan Fernando Flores, 30, of the 300 block of Vincent died from a gunshot wound to the head after a homeowner in the 200 block of Kelley opened fire on two men he caught taking tools from his pickup about 1 a.m., police said.

The two men fled in a car after the shooting, but police said the car crashed and began to burn a few blocks away in the 5400 block of Fulton.

A passer-by pulled Flores from the driver's seat of the burning car, and told police a second man in the car fled on foot. Flores, who suffered at least one gunshot wound to the head, was dead. Police were unsure whether his passenger was wounded.

Police said they found a variety of tools in the car Flores was driving, some belonging to the resident in the 200 block of Kelley."

[:\] [:\] [:\]
In Texas, the law allows a resident to use deadly force to safeguard property, as long as it is "at night." So, the Grand Jury will no-bill (not charge) this guy (as they have done so in other cases similar to this).

[^] [^] [^]

I guess this proves once again the Texas motto: "Don't Mess With Texas."  OR, as applied here, "Don't Mess With Other's Property At Night While In Texas."

[}:D] [}:D] [}:D]

I suppose though, there are one or more of you out there that think this human's life was more important than the resident's tools . . .

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I feel this sends the perfect message.

Do any of you actually think the perp that got away will be back to thieving anytime in the near future, and what if the thieves had firearms and the homeowner didn't...  The tables would have most certainly been turned!

Personally, I feel we need to see more action from the courts like this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Folks always make the invalid comparison.

It's NOT  a question of the value of tools -vs- the value of a human life.

It IS a question of the value of laws & society -vs- the value of a criminal.

Just like it's not about metal & wood when they try to take our guns away.  It's about the freedom those weapons represent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had this discussion with a lot of people.. Most seem horrified at the thought that I'd kill someone for stealing PROPERTY.. My response is that it's not only property, but time..
Each posession I have bought represents a lot of hours worked in order to purchase that item. Sure it can eventually be replaced, but the time I worked to get it, then it's replacement because of a theft cannot..

Oh, and they should have let the jackass burn up in his car, then fined the passenger for "littering, and uncontrolled burning"..

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top