Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2002 9:58:41 PM EDT
Sence this whole 911/middle east thing has went on now getting stonger the thing that worrys me is china I havent heard to much about them and they seem to be reasonably in between at this point. If they chose one side or the other some is really going to get screwed. Im afraid it could be us I get the feeling that china wants to be on the top of the hill and I think they know they can givin the right time to do so.We have a great nation and a hi-tech armed forces but that doesnt match chinas volume. We cant use enough smart bombs and plane attacks to syop them like we do in the middle east. For example. In WW2 the germans had superior tanks than we did we beat them by one factor volume they produced hundreds we made thousands. If you get enough of something you will win Our army just isnt that big. I dont think we colud produce weapons fast enough
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah they wouldn't even have missiles that could hit Taiwan if it wasn't for clinton.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not worried about a direct attack from China. What worries me, is what will we do when China invades Taiwan? It probably won't go nuclear, but it sure would get messy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey hey hey,Dont underestimate the Big Red! I spent three months there last summer,mostlly in Shenyang (closes major chinese city to N.Korea)and Beijing.Also spent alot of time studying Chinese military hardware. They have alot more newer technology than we think.They also are updating many many of thier fighting tactics in all military branches and most of them exactly the same we use. I'm not saying they would lose,but it would be a bloody battle at the least,I also would conclude that we wouldnt have much of a chance if we didnt use most if not all of the US allies to help us in a ground war on thier turf.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
"Thank God for the ICBM"
Polaris is your buddy.
No need for volume with Polaris.
Large concentrations of china's military
will meet Polaris and will not like it.
Polaris vs. China = No China
China has to face Polaris in order to invade USA.
China has to cross BIG pond to invade USA.
Simple math the Chinese understand.
The Chinese aren't suicidal.They know that
China vs. Polaris = no China
Don't fear China,Polaris is your Buddy.
Thank God for Polaris.I DO.(and I sleep well at night because of Polaris)
Polaris is your 24/7 watchdog Buddy.
No army in the WORLD can defeat Polaris.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Thank God for the ICBM"

View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Take away the rice and you defeat the Chinese military and communist machine, only after they attack Taiwan and South Korea. Take away the cash and they go nuts and attack Taiwan and South Korea via North Korea. Pump the country full of free media access and the communist nightmare slowly comes to an end. I spent 14 months on the Korean Pennisula and dispise the Chicoms. The only way to defeat communism is through the spread of democratic ideals and the toppling of the internal financial infrastructure. We crushed the financial infrastructure of the USSR and spread some ideals in some of the places within the USSR. China will be more difficult. They are getting cash infusions via heavy trade with the west and they have a strangle hold on the mass media. This one will be a long and difficult task. China could never rule the world-they spend too much time looking back to really understand what is going on in front of them. They will only rule themselves until the freedom of ideas takes hold. Oh happy day....
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
"Ah-so...in America, we have a word for 'Don't Fuck with U.S.A.' --- [b]TRIDENT[/b].  And we aren't talkin' chewing gum !!!

edited to pardon my FRENCH.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally am scared of circus clowns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Ah-so...in America, we have a word for 'Don't Fuck with U.S.A.' --- [b]TRIDENT[/b].  And we aren't talkin' chewing gum !!!

edited to pardon my FRENCH.
View Quote

Oh yeah!TRIDENT is Polaris' BIG BROTHER!!
They are BOTH looking after our needs!lol
2 against 1(we are the 2)I like those odds!
Stack the deck in our favor!THAT'S the good stuff!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]
This really begs the question of, Will the US defend Taiwan with the ultimate weapons that is any nation's LAST resort?

Sorry, but I think not.  We have already agreed that Taiwan is part of Greater China.  We just quibble on how that reunification should take place.

China has made it clear that settling the Taiwan issue favorably a CRITICAL national security issue for years now.  It is several notches down on ours.    

If it comes to a shooting war, I won't be so bold as to predict the outcome.  I suspect it would follow the lines of what happened in the Falklands, with a limited anti-shipping and full airwar around Taiwan.

I am not partial to Red China and have several Taiwanese friends, one of them a very close friend.  This is the way I see it.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Not to worry Shooter.....They are paper tiger.

They will test out the water and the U.S reaction by invading Taiwan first.....And That will be their biggest mistake. The Taiwanese are no push over, they will defend their island at all cost. China might have go to use nuke but I doubt that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#13]
China might have go to use nuke but I doubt that.
View Quote

I wonder if Taiwan has any nukes.  They're at least as technologically sophisticated as South Africa was during their nuclear program.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
China has 250 million unemployeed comrades. Within 10 years the communist party will collapse just like the Soviets. The rot has already taken root. However I don't know what desperate moves they will make on the way down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]Wooooo-Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!, POLARIS!!!  Yeahhhhh!  I love you man!  POLARIS rocks!!!!![/b]

[%(]
Dear Lord, Thank you for giving us POLARIS!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The real worry in China *right* now is the serious lack of water.  If anything is going to set them off it is the Chineese looking for territories with water.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The real worry in China *right* now is the serious lack of water.  If anything is going to set them off it is the Chineese looking for territories with water.
View Quote

Don't worry hielo my man,Polaris is here!
Polaris vs. thirsty chinese = no thirsty chinese
Polaris = water conservation..problem solved!
Sleep well,my friend.BTW,TRIDENT can do this too!lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Taiwan will fight like a rabid dog against China - but they really have no chance. Most Taiwanese truly love their freedom and will fight for it as we would. I just wonder how long it will be before China makes it's "power" move.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I personally am scared of circus clowns.
View Quote

You beat me to it.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.
View Quote

Polaris is a little excessive for circus clowns
answer:RPG

RPG vs. circus clowns = alot of dead clowns
Sleep well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Taiwan will fight like a rabid dog against China - but they really have no chance. Most Taiwanese truly love their freedom and will fight for it as we would. I just wonder how long it will be before China makes it's "power" move.
View Quote

Hey man you ain't paying attention!
Nukes vs.China=a safe Taiwan
you need some peaceful sleep too!Sleep well.lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#22]
We might use Nukes to save our ass, but we won't use them to save Taiwan, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't Taiwan have thier OWN nukes?If not
they need to buy some.lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

When we dumped Taiwan in favor of recognizing China, we sealed Taiwan's fate.
Now we only wait for 'when' China makes their move.

(I last lived in Taiwan over 12 yrs. ago but even then resentment of the U.S. and possible alignment with China was beginning.  Taiwan was moving much production from Taiwan to the Chinese mainland and to Malaysia.)

No, we will not use nukes to save Taiwan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I am not worried about China at this point, pending further developments.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey!lolAre you sleepin on the job?lol

WTB:taiwanese looking to buy a few good nukes...
   "any offers taken"
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[b]Wooooo-Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!, POLARIS!!!  Yeahhhhh!  I love you man!  POLARIS rocks!!!!![/b]

[%(]
View Quote

satcong,
I'm so old that I made the first Polaris patrol in the Pacific - we departed Guam on 12/24/64.  That sub was the USS Daniel Boone SSBN629.

Interestingly it was the Soviets and not China that attempted to track us.
As I recall it took us about 30 minutes to quiet down and lose the tail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

See,RikWriters' got the right idea.lol
sleep well my friend,Polaris (your buddy) is watching over you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[%(]
View Quote

satcong,
I'm so old that I made the first Polaris patrol in the Pacific - we departed Guam on 12/24/64.  That sub was the USS Daniel Boone SSBN629.

View Quote

I see that "Polaris" is catching on.lol
BTW,THAT(sub chase) must have been very intense!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rik,
China scares the hell out of me.  Today ?  No, but tomorrow absolutely.
In the U.S. our companies are worrying about next quarters earnings.
China is planning the next 25 years.

Worse China has quietly embraced a form of capitalism while appearing to be completely communistic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I agree with 5subslr5.

10 to 20 years from now, things will be very different.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[%(]
View Quote

satcong,

View Quote

I see that "Polaris" is catching on.lol
BTW,THAT(sub chase) must have been very intense!
View Quote

MAC,
the Sub Service does a fine job of training all sub sailors.
Since the Boone was doing a 'first' that crew was probably a small notch above the average.

We simply knew that the Soviets couldn't track us for long.  (Please don't read arrogance but confidence in my words.)

Takes about 5 min. or so to get the big suckers down and trim - another ten minutes or so to locate a nice thermal layer - after that adios mutherfluckers !
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I agree with 5subslr5.

10 to 20 years from now, things will be very different.
View Quote

And Polaris will STILL be there.Unlike a car
that is driven everyday and wears out,Polaris
remains NIB(and let's pray it stays that way)
25 to 30yrs,Polaris will STILL be our buddy,TRIDENT too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#34]

I think it is very unfortunate that we don't support Taiwan.  In my opinion, Taiwan is no different than the U.S. was 200 yrs. ago.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Polaris wasn't born that far back.So....
neither were M-16s' or AKs'.alot has changed in 200yrs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe we ARE supporting Taiwan.  Wouldn't the chicoms be surprised if they invaded Taiwan, expecting a cakewalk, and Taiwan popped a nuke that they had "somehow acquired"?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Maybe we ARE supporting Taiwan.  Wouldn't the chicoms be surprised if they invaded Taiwan, expecting a cakewalk, and Taiwan popped a nuke that they had "somehow acquired"?

-kill-9
View Quote

NOW yer talkin'!lol
Nuke'em
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

-kill-9
View Quote

Although any invasion of Taiwan by China is likely to begin with missile attacks I don't believe China will go nuclear and I don't believe Taiwan has nuclear capability.

Most likely China will put pressure on Taiwan from time-to-time but simply wait.
Since we severed diplomatic relations more and more people of Taiwan are slowly, slowly beginning to desire formal reconnection to China.

In Taiwan both Chinese (we call this dialect Mandarin) and English are taught in the public schools.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#39]
The real threat is the tunnel under the Pacific that the Chinese have been digging since 1951... little bastards are underneath Reno,NV right now. If you go into the desert, you can hear them... "skritchskritchskritch -ni hao ma? wo hen hao, ni ne? skritchskritchskritch".

keeps me awake worrying... I bet they are in cahoots with a circus clown 5th Column here.

Bastards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

That's not such a bad thing if it keeps them from doing something rash.

The Chicoms expect that over time, their economic and cultural links with Taiwan will strengthen.  If they're patient, they can re-unify without suffering all the economic damage that a war would bring.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The USSR used to plan for the next 25 years too. See what it got them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't think there will be a war between the US and china.  China is smart, very very smart.  They are becoming a economic, scientific and artistic center.  They want to become a bigger player in world trade.  The US clearly has a healthy respect for China's power as an enemy, and wants to be china's friend (most favorable trade status).  China wants to trade with the US and thus wants to be on good terms with us.  Friendly relations benefit us both.  In case you haven't noticed, many of our most talent engineers and scientists are from China.  While currently tenuous, I foresee the relationship between the US and China becoming tighter.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Worse China has quietly embraced a form of capitalism while appearing to be completely communistic.
View Quote

The two are not compatible. One will win out over the other. My money is on capitalism. So far it's been the winner...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#44]
They want to re-annex Taiwan , by their own words they want Taiwan back.  So they are modernizing across the board to accomplish this.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]
that pro wrestler china?  She scares the shit out of me to man.  Fugly!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The USSR used to plan for the next 25 years too. See what it got them.
View Quote

Rik,
don't work on being a dumb-a$$ as clearly you are not.
The Soviet Union used a highly centralized decision making model and planned in 5 yr. increments.  (As you well know.)

China on the other hand has greatly de-centralized much of the 'business' side of the country while keeping only political and military power highly centralized.

China has slowly shifted to an entrepreneurial form of communism.  (If we were not speaking of China this would be a contradictory statement.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I thought we scraped the Polaris, long ago and they were all Trident D models now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#49]
All,

Maybe - and that's a very BIG maybe - in 20-25 years, the PRC will be able to get a foothold on Taiwan.  But it won't be the way that you think.  Think economic (as in capitalism) instead of military conquest.

If anyone honestly sees the PRC staying a communist/totalitarian government a quarter century from now, you're kidding yourself.  There's too much capitalism in the nation now, and it's too late for another Cultural Revolution.  China's on its way to the 20th century, and will eventually make its way into the 21st.

Between the establishment of Special Economic Zones in the late 80's and the early 90's on the southeastern coast, to the "wow - this isn't what we expected" after Hong Kong came back into the fold, the typical Chinese citizen is more concerned with getting the latest Sony CD player, or designer clothing than he is following the principles of Mao's Little Red Book.

Capitalism is on its way in the PRC, and the leadership's terrified.  People can buy (and afford) condos and apartments now.  Citizens of larger cities have access to virtually the same stuff we do, and their "free market economy" (yeah, a stretch at this time) getting closer to ours each day.

Is their military a threat?  Depends - if we attack their ass on home turf, sure!  Hell, they have 100 million soldiers in the PLA (active and militia).  But why the hell would we do that?  Can they do force projection?  No.  They don't have a navy worthy of being called one.  Sure, they could nuke the ROC, but they couldn't invade - not enough haulers.  Their air force is still a joke, and they'll never catch us in a technology race.

I see China coming out of its self-imposed shell sometime within the next 15 to 20 years.  Maybe then they'll be ready to put their past behind them, and join the modern world.

By the way, a great book on the changing worldwide scene was done by a gent named James Dunnigan about 15 years ago.  Called, "A Quick and Dirty Guide to War," he accurately saw the Berlin Wall coming down, the Soviet Union going away, and predicted lots of other things that did indeed happen.  It's a very good read, even today.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#50]
If China does decide to go to war how do you think it'll play out in the beginning?

They conquer Taiwan and with the help of North Korea take South Korea and possible even Japan.  Maybe lob some stuff our way.  What are peoples theories of how the opening onslaught will be, who will be on the defensive and who do you think will help China?

And I guess for fun pretend they attacked right now while our military is slightly busy with other stuff and not as strong as it was a decade ago...

Chinas navy sucks at the moment right?  Or do they even have a navy?

Seems to me that people are worried about the size of their army compared to ours but if all they have is an army then they already lost I suppose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top