Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 9:01:26 PM EDT
Whats the significance of all the birds and doves in his movies? they seem too pop up everywhere and I guess they stand for something?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It is irony and contrast as doves almost universally signify peace, while his movies contain extreme violence.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, he really pushes the doves I mean there must have been 100 doves in the movie! ok violence and peace I don't really get what is so significant about that but I don't really get hollywood that much anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It is called "symbolism".
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
hey 1911 , there are some days I really wonder about you [?]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I worry about me too, I just don't get these retarded john woo movies before I think this guy has never actually fired a firearm or seen someone fire a firearm in his whole life, maybe he should work more on being realistic than having birds pop up for no reason, I would have shot them!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard Target=worst.........movie........EVER!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ok violence and peace I don't really get what is so significant about that but I don't really get hollywood that much anyway.
View Quote

Old Chinese belief that there is a balance of opposites. Yin and Yang. Hot and Cold. Fire and Water. In life there must be a balance of good and evil. One can not exist without the other.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't say its the worst ever but its pretty retarded, Some guys in a helicopter trying too shot you with a machine gun and he keeps missing so you while riding a horse grab your mossberg and shoot 2 of the guys in the helicopter, i don't know what kind of mossberg he has but it also will blow a average sized man 20ft back and thru a window. I think the bad guys in that movie really need too put in some range time!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember seeing an interview with John Woo where he was talking about his influences as a film maker.  He grew up in the '50s watching American westerns and French dramas.  Everything you need to know about why he makes the movies he does can be learned by looking at what he grew up with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I should offer too take him shooting with me he provides the helicopters that we will try too shoot down with the mossy 12gauge and then we will shoot 150lb objects and have them fly 20 feet!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have yet to watch a John Woo film all the way through.  Frankly, he's not that good.

As for all the doves, they flock to his sets because they hear everyone saying "Mr. Woo! Mr. Woo!" Doves can't hear well, and to them this sounds like "Coo!  Coo!"  [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top