Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2002 5:45:53 PM EDT
I'm leaving on a roadtrip up to Dixon from SoCal. Maybe some of you guys that live along the route I'll be taking can advise me on some good stops along the way? The average price of gas in my neck of the woods is about 1.60/gal. for regular. I'll be towing an RV and expect to get about 8mpg tops. So any advice on local gas chains would be appreciated. I'll be going up PCH from LA to the Bay Area, then taking the 80 up to Dixon. From Dixon I'll be going north to Sacramento then down the 99 to Bakersfield before going up to Lake Isabella/Kern River, then taking the 178 to the 395 to the 15, then home. Fortunately, my dad offered to stay at my place for the whole week while I'm gone, so I won't be worried about unwanted "visitors" during my absence. Any recommendations for restaurants (preferably hole in the wall types with good food), gun shops, surplus stores, cheap gas stops along the way? I've already got reservations for Morro Bay State Park, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Millerton Lake SRA, and Rivernook Campground, so I don't need info on that stuff. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:55:56 PM EDT
Costco has the cheapest gas prices for club members. Walmart lets motorhomes stay in their parking lots over night. I'm not sure they extend the same curtosy to towed RV's.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:50:54 PM EDT
Drive safe friend... and have a good time. Jolynne & Frank
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 8:33:10 PM EDT by 240z]
I live a few miles from Dixon in Fairfield. The PCH is a very slow route, and it only gets worse as you hit the built up areas approaching the bay area. I drive 80 from the bay area every day and it has become nearly 46 miles of bumper to bumper traffic, especially on Friday nights. You did not say if you can sleep in your rig, but I have stayed o'night at the Flying J travel centers tucked in line with other RVs or in with the trucks (they can be noisy if they are reefers). Technically you cannot stay at rest areas overnight, but I have done so with no hassles. I do not do so without some protection nearby once I am parked, however, if you know what I mean. You can stay in the parking lot of most Wal Marts in an RV, and most Camping world outlets as well. Do a web search on free camping and you will find a guide for CA. I do not know how much time you have for the trip, but if you insist on coming up 101, Paso Robles is a nice little town, and there are campgrounds on both Lake Nacimiento and San Antonio a few miles outside of town. Nacimiento is a real nice lake, one of my favorites in the state, albeit busy in the summer. The bay area is low on truck stops and campgrounds, and is crowded almost always on the highways. Dixon is a nice little town, and has a great fair coming up called the May fair. This is a real country fair and has good bands and entertainment during it's run. Depending upon when you are coming through, we could meet for a shoot not too far from Dixon at the Yolo Sportsman range in Woodland where I am a member. I have plenty of toys to shoot, both pistol and rifle, and I reload so I have plenty of ammo! It has a nice trap and sporting clays range as well. Gas will be cheaper in the valley or along the way and will be more like what you are used to in the bay area. Gas seems to be cheapest at ARCO stations and Tesoro/Valero (former EXXONs). Costco is the cheapest if you are a member, but you have to find them off the road most of the time. 99 can be VERY foggy at times, so do not push it on the way home if it starts to get foggy. Get off the road and try again the next day. If you fill in a few more details (like how much time you have and what you are interested in) I might be able to add more. Ray
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:53:15 PM EDT
I'm just a little too far off your route to be any help. Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:44:23 PM EDT
I'll throw in another "think about it" for driving up PCH. I did the ride from Santa Barbara on my motorcycle once thinking it would be cool. It is cool for about an hour, then it just becomes LONG. And that was on a bike, couldn't imagine how long it would take with a trailer. Other than that, Traffic on 80 sucks, especially in the afternoon from 3 till about 7. As far as gun shops, there is not too much here in the bay area that is note worthy. Most are really expensive, usually marking guns around list price. Most shops are asking 6-650 for Glocks for cripes sake. We have sort of lost all our good army navy stores as well. We used to have a ton when I was kid, now I can't think of one. As for food, the only thing I can recommend is the Public Market in Emeryville off 8O right after you get off the bay bridge. It is a giant food court. My favorite is Sorabol Korean BBQ in there, just order the beef bowl with extra soy sauce. Have great trip, remember bridges are two bucks a pop here, plus extra for the trailer, but you only have to pay on the Carquinez bridge coming from the south. BTW, meet Ray for a shoot. He's a great guy and almost as good a shot as I am. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:11:13 AM EDT
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check the Costco website for locations with gas stations on our route, otherwise, I'll have my wife break out the spotting scope everytime we come up on an exit to look for cheap gas [:D]. I don't know what I hate more, turning around after passing a station or swinging a hard right before I pass the offramp while towing a big ass trailer. I know what you mean about PCH being a long trip, done it a few times already. This is our Spring vacation, so we're taking our time and breaking the trip into small chunks of not more than 200/250 miles a day. Yes, we're staying in the RV and already have reservations at four different campgrounds. [b]240z,[/b] Funny you should mention Fairfield, we're going to Dixon because that's where my bro' in law retired to after he left Travis. Up until two years ago we used to go visit them in Fairfield. We're leaving this Sat. and spending that night in Morro Bay, Sun. night just south of the Bay Area, Mon. & Tues. night in Dixon, then leaving Wed. morning to head south with two more nights planned at different campgrounds. I wish I were spending the weekend up there so we could plan a day at the range, but it's a mid week trip and the schedule is pretty tight. This trip has been planned for awhile and I was trying to squeeze in a hog hunt from the meetings and events forum from about a month ago, but I just won't have the time. The only part of the trip I'm dreading is the time spent in San Francisco. The wife and son are insisting on going to the wharf and checking out Pier 39, then eating in Chinatown. It oughta be fun parking a longbed F350 Crew Cab and a 26' RV downtown somewhere. [shock] [argue] [heavy] As far as the gun and surplus stores go, I remember visiting the Bay Area when I was a kid and there being at least two or three huge ones. Know of any good pawn shops along the way?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:23:01 PM EDT
I'm out of town from Wednesday the 10th through Friday 4/19. Spring break on the USS Ford a Oliver Hazard Perry class guided missle frigate. My son is deployed aboard and is returning from Westpac so I get to meet them in Hawaii and Tiger Cruise back for a week or so. Should be fun watching them shoot the CIWS and the 76mm cannon. I wonder if they'll let me drive or shoot something full auto? (Fat chance) Anyway, I have no idea how you plan to get the long bed and the 26 footer into San Francisco and park it. That would be right up there on my list of nightmares. You would be better off unhitching somewhere else and coming back for the trailer. Maybe one of those off airport parking lots with security south of the city a bit would let you leave it in a space for a bit? The wharf area is WAYYYY crowded most days, but there are some parking lots down there, but I doubt that they would be able to take your rig. You could drop it in our parking lot at work on Monday, but I work in Alameda so you would have to pass through the city and return to SF. You could leave the whole rig in Alameda and take Bart back to the city, which would be a whole lot easier. Our parking lot is never full and is used by full size trucks so getting in and out is easy. Bart is pretty close to my place of work and I could easily drop you at the Oakland station and pick you up there when you are done. It is the easiest Bart station as it is the last one before you enter the tube and the first one when you come out. Downtown SF sightseeing is easily walked for the most part, especially the wharf area. Email me if you want to do something like this and I'll send you my work and cel numbers and make sure to drive something with more than two seats that day (although if you like to go fast you might like a ride in my '92 Stealth RT/TT!). Ray
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:26:35 PM EDT
Desertrider what part of SoCal do you live in?
Top Top