Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2002 1:22:44 PM EDT
When I was in college I had an Israeli shooting buddy. One day at the range we were running vast amounts of surplus ammo through my beater AR and telling war stories (read: exaggerated lies). During the course of our discussion my friend told me that some Israeli M16A1's were equipped with a stock that featured a built in bottle opener. He claimed that reservists and young soldiers frequently used the lips of their magazines to open bottles and that this practice had caused a widespread relaibility problem in the IDF, so many M16A1's were fitted with a special "bottle opener" mounted to the stock. Is this true? I know that you can use certain A1 and all A2 stock sling mounts to open bottles. Has anyone seen an IDF stock in this configuration?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:37:38 PM EDT
I actualy think that this was part of the design for the Galil. I haven't heard about it on M16s, though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:42:40 PM EDT
It IS on the Galil. My .308 has one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:55:33 PM EDT
Sounds like a good way to encourage drunken shooting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:19:30 PM EDT
I heard HK's have those on the side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:50:11 PM EDT
I remember hearing that some idiots were using magazine feed lips to open bottles and then ended up with unservicable rifles. It was during the '67 war.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:24:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:01:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy:
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I heard HK's have those on the side of the receiver.
View Quote
Never seen that, but they DO have a little clip that's designed to allow the rifle to be hung on a nail on the wall. -Troy
View Quote
Naw, that's for holding your cigarette while you're shooting... Actually it's an attachment point for the buckle on the 3-point sling. Ducan Long started that stupid nail rumor in his book "HK Assault Rifle Systems".
Top Top