Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 9:54:40 AM EDT
I have a 96 Geo Metro (I know, I need a new car), with 77k on it. The check engine light came on so I took the car in. When they put the scope on it, the code was EGR, for the EGR valve. The repair shop told me that sometimes the codes come up in error so they cleared it out, told me to drive it, and if it came up again to bring it in and they would look at it in more depth. This would be at the diagnostic rate of $95 per hour. The light did come on again, so my question is- Can I just replace the entire EGR valve myself, or is this something that should be left to a trained mechanic? Is there a possibility that the problem could be elsewhere, and not the EGR like the code suggested? If I choose to just leave it as is, and not repair the problem will this lead to other problems, or just reduced effeciency? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:53:16 AM EDT
My advice is to buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual for the make of auto, it will have a section on how to pull up the codes and what they are. The EGR valve is very easy to replace, should be two maybe three bolts or nuts mounting it to the engine as well as a vacume line. The neg side of the battery needs to disconnected to clear the stored codes in the computer. Terry
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:41:33 PM EDT
Before replacing the egr valve check the simple things first. Like the vacuum hoses. If it is a back pressure type egr system check the hose from the back pressure valve to the tube going to the exhaust, maybe cracked or burned through. If there is an electrical solenoid in the vacuum hose part of the system check the connection. EGR valves themselves rarely go bad. Usually it is some other component or problem in the egr system. FWIW, the computer knows the egr system isn't working because there is a temperture sensor in the egr passage that senses the change when exhaust gas is being recirculated and sends a voltage signal.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:28:25 PM EDT
Stuck EGR valves are a fairly common problem, especially on vehicles with a few miles on them. In many cases, it's a pretty easy job to simply clean the EGR valve and replace it. To clean it, remove it from the engine and spray the inside with carb cleaner, perhaps letting it soak in for a few minutes. (Note: putting the valve inside a plastic bag while it's soaking will help keep the carb cleaner from evaporating). Next, use a small wire brush or bit of sandpaper to clean the valve seat (so that makes an airtight seal when it closes), and the valve shaft (so that it doesn't bind when it attempts to move). You might want to use a new EGR valve gasket when you reinstall the valve — they're usually just a couple of bucks at NAPA. Driving the car with the valve in its current condition isn't the best idea, since it affects engine power and drivability. As it gets worse, the engine may be prone to stalling, pinging and a drop in gas mileage.
Top Top