Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2002 8:08:42 PM EDT
Just wondering how LEO types view corrections officers ?? Are they considered LEO's or just prison guards or something in between.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:15:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:22:22 PM EDT
Around here some of them are post certified officers but most just go through a 2 week jailers course. you decide? the local SO takes care of the jail almost everyone they hire has to start out as a jailer, then they send them to the academy months,years later maby.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:29:49 AM EDT
I believe that C.O.'s in both Kalifornia and Florida are "peace officers" by state statute. It varies from state to state. C.O's have a tough job, and I have nothing but the upmost respect for them. Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:42:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 4:48:13 AM EDT by JH225]
In NY we go through a 3 month academy and are fully certified as Peace Officers. We have full arrest powers, firearms priveleges, salary parody with local PD's, and best of all, I don't get wet when it rains[:)]. Dealing with the scum of the earth on a daily business is an aquired taste, some love it, some can't stomach it. We have a little saying where I come from..."C.O.'s - It takes balls, to work behind the walls". We now take you back to your regulary scheduled programming[;)] edited to add- You can call me a prison guard, turnkey, hack(hence the JH..Jailhack), screw, Correction Officer or whatever else you wish, but just remember that I am a highly paid one at that. (we have many guy's that make well over 100K a year)[:P]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:38:54 AM EDT
SPECTRE, C.O.s in Az have no peace officer status But if you are an escapee off site or attempting to escape they can use deadly force to prevent you flight. The only "privlege" they have off the job is to carry concealed statewide w/o a reg Az CCW permit as long as they are DOC wep certified. What are they considered? I dunno, "most" seem to look down upon them for some reason, but "most" could not handle the job for the most part IMO. I personally would like to see less C.O.s and more executions of child molestors and rapists. Just my .02 Biggame223 Out
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:48:06 AM EDT
In California most County Jail "guards" are fully sworn Deputy Sheriff's. Most prison guards are a limited peace officer status. Meaning they are peace officers only when at work and that status disappears when they punch out. In California most prison gaurds are scum, barely a couple notches above the inmate poulation. Their union stronly supports Grey Davi, so he just rewarded them with a 6.75% pay raise bringing their average salary to over $60,000.00 a year. PS.. California also has private jails and prisons in which the Guards are essentially rent-a-cops. So say that is the wave of the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:27:57 AM EDT
AR15fan, "In California most prison gaurds are scum, barely a couple notches above the inmate poulation" So what you are saying is that you personally know every single "prison guard" in California, and find each of them to be killers, rapists, drug dealers, organized crime members, crackheads, etc., etc.? Kind of a broad statement, don't you think? Care to back it up with some facts? Your statement is just like someone saying that all cops are scumbags. While some are, the vast majority are not. Same goes for doctors, teachers, plumbers, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:32:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JH225: In NY we go through a 3 month academy and are fully certified as Peace Officers. We have full arrest powers, firearms priveleges, salary parody with local PD's, and best of all, I don't get wet when it rains[:)]. Dealing with the scum of the earth on a daily business is an aquired taste, some love it, some can't stomach it. We have a little saying where I come from..."C.O.'s - It takes balls, to work behind the walls". We now take you back to your regulary scheduled programming[;)] edited to add- You can call me a prison guard, turnkey, hack(hence the JH..Jailhack), screw, Correction Officer or whatever else you wish, but just remember that I am a highly paid one at that. (we have many guy's that make well over 100K a year)[:P]
View Quote
What's "salary parody"? Is it your salary that is the joke or is it the local PD's?[:)]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:38:51 AM EDT
"What's "salary parody"? Is it your salary that is the joke or is it the local PD's?" Well, we sure don't get paid enough, but my Dept.'s claim to fame is that we are the highest paid in NYS, and we make more than MANY PD's. It pays the bills[;)]
Top Top