Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually had nightmares about this last night because of this damn thread!  I was in my kitchen, and in every nook or corner there were huge, sluggish scorpions.  This thread has really given me the heebie-jeebies.

My fear of spiders comes from when I was in 1st grade (5 years old, I think).  I woke up one morning and couldn't see a thing.  My body felt really strange, but I wasn't really in pain.  It turned out that I had spider bites and my ENTIRE body, including my eyes, swelled up.  After a trip to the doctor where I got some shots, one of my eyes opened up after a few hours.  It took a few days and several more shots for the swelling to disappear.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Heh, heh...out in West Texas before you turn the light out at night you put newspapers around your bed so you can hear scorpions shuffling toward you in the dark.  Have a friend who built a beautiful new home in the hills overlooking downtown Austin.  Nobody knew he was building right on top of Scorpion Central.  For years they would come crawling out of light switches, electrical outlets and anywhere there was a crack.  Sort of unnerving to see a duplex outlet with 3-4 scorpion tails and legs wiggling out of it.  But the big foot long black and yellow stinging centipedes are my personal favorite.

**Edited to say I always thought that house in Austin would be a subject for a Steven King book.  It was a little eerie.  Nice 3-story house full of scorpions that came crawling up through the foundation from the rocks the house was built on.  Lovely location tho'.
View Quote

DEAR LORD MAN!!! Foot long centipedes??? SCORPIONS CRAWLING OUT OF SOCKETS??? Man my skin is crawling something wicked now!!

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH! that is just too much to bear.

What if you have kids crawling around the floor?

What happens if you get stung by a scorpion anyway???
View Quote

Like spiders there are different types of scorpions, some will kill if not treated in time. I have heard that scoprions with large claws are generally less toxic then ones with small claws because they don't need to rely on venom to subdue their prey.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here's a true story for you guys:

My parents own 6 heavily wooded acres.  Well, my dad and I went out to cut down some of the sick pines so the disease wouldn't spread.  We brought along a gas powered chainsaw that always starts on the first yank of the cord.

Well, this time, we just couldn't get this thing to start.  We kept yanking, and setting the chokes, but it just wouldn't go.  Finally, we turned it over to have a look at it.

Inside the handguard, about an inch from where we were both holding it, was a black widow.  She was immediately killed, of course.

Then, we tried to start the chainsaw again.  It started on the first pull of the cord.

Coincidence?  I think not.  [:O]
View Quote

Son of a bitch!  Here's another...I was moving some plants in my backyard garden areas about an hour ago.  After all the work, I figured I'd water them in and watch the sun set.  Rather than run a hose, I just picked up my watering can and went for a nearby spigot.  Out comes this black widow zipping past my hand and into the can.  I poured the whole thing out on the driveway to get a better look...got a glass jar real quick to capture the thing.  

Did I know these little phuckers could jump?  Heck no.  Damn near peed in my jeans.  But she's a pretty one.  Big old red hour glass thing on her belly and resting peacefully under glass on the deck.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate f^*king spiders...I helped my boss move into an old victorian house that was in dire need of a handy man....well the foundation was infested with black widows and the attic had a $hitload of brown recluse spiders....gives me the eebby jeebies
View Quote

I would have moved right the hell back out and put that damn house back on the market.  Even if I did get rid of them all, I don't think I could sleep at night.  When it comes to spiders, I am a TOTAL pussy.
View Quote

I'm with you guys!  I can't stand spiders or Florida cockroaches.  Guess I'm a wuss, too.  Not so much afraid of cockroaches as think they are the most vile little creature alive.  Funny thing is, tarantulas aren't that bad.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought "daddy-long-legs" were actually Aphids.  Don't know if I got the spelling right.  At any rate I know they're not spiders since they don't have fangs, and do not have a two-piece body.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I actually had nightmares about this last night because of this damn thread!  I was in my kitchen, and in every nook or corner there were huge, sluggish scorpions.  This thread has really given me the heebie-jeebies.

My fear of spiders comes from when I was in 1st grade (5 years old, I think).  I woke up one morning and couldn't see a thing.  My body felt really strange, but I wasn't really in pain.  It turned out that I had spider bites and my ENTIRE body, including my eyes, swelled up.  After a trip to the doctor where I got some shots, one of my eyes opened up after a few hours.  It took a few days and several more shots for the swelling to disappear.
View Quote

Damn man, after that, I would be killing every one of those little bastards I could. Understand the nightmares.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like spiders there are different types of scorpions, some will kill if not treated in time. I have heard that scoprions with large claws are generally less toxic then ones with small claws because they don't need to rely on venom to subdue their prey.

View Quote

That's the word as I understand it, however, there are wxceptions to every rule. I don't have the nerve to play with the wild ones anymore, but the ones from the pet stores are pretty cool, big ole pincers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
slt223

You might be aware of this but if not just a little review.

All spiders have eight legs and are arachnids.  Arachnids, besides eight legs, have two body parts, a cephalothorax (fused head with thorax) and the abdomen.  

An aphid is an insect.  All insects have six legs and three body parts, head, thorax and abdomen.  

Daddy Long Legs are an arachnid (spider).  Very beneficial but they do get in the way alot of times.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'm a total wuss when it comes to spiders too.  Serious phobia.  A few nights ago I had a nightmare that very large spider jumped on my neck and I woke up screaming.

Ortho makes something call 'Home Defense' that really works.  I have no idea what's in it but I spray it around the perimeter every year and it put a lid on our spider problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the things I hate about Florida is no freeze in the winter. In Iowa 90% of the critters die every year. In Florida they live for years and get BIG.

I don't know what kind they are, but we got the black and yellow banded fuckers down hear the size of IHOP pancakes.

Even worse they spin webs about the size of your average garage door.

So you are out running around in the brush playing paintball and whatnot, often at night, and you run right into these damn things. The scary part is when the web is so goddamn big and structurally sound, it actually stops you. Only thing worse is when it collapses and drapes around you, usually with that big ass fricken thing somewhere in it.

As a result we sweep the area as much as possible anymore. You should see what a paintball does to these things. They don't enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
This is sooo funny.
Its good to know that I'm not the only one that really hates these things!
I'm not scare to death of them, but their the only insect (yes I know its not considered an insect) that I won't take my eyes off of until its dead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe that no one has brought up snakes. The only good snake is a dead snake, or so my pops says. He used to kill water mocasins for bounty as a kid growing up in JAX, FL. I freakin hate snakes. Spiders are ok in my book.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
slt223

You might be aware of this but if not just a little review.

All spiders have eight legs and are arachnids.  Arachnids, besides eight legs, have two body parts, a cephalothorax (fused head with thorax) and the abdomen.  

An aphid is an insect.  All insects have six legs and three body parts, head, thorax and abdomen.  

Daddy Long Legs are an arachnid (spider).  Very beneficial but they do get in the way alot of times.
View Quote

Gotcha!  Learn something new every day!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hate spiders.............with a hate born in the depths of Hell[devil].

View Quote

I'm going to agree with this sentiment as well.

My grandparents owned about 60 acres near the Olympic National Rain Forest.  When I was a little kid I would walk and play for hours snooping/digging/clawing/walking/brush busting/smashing skunk cabbage etc.  I had a blast.  One time after a good afternoon of digging tunnels in rotting downed old growth I was getting undressed to take a shower. (Ohhhhhh just got shiver remembering it).  Ok.. twelve years old, naked, covered in dirt,... and this huge nasty demon spawn piece of vile blood sucking hell runs from the top of my head down my back, up my back, over my shoulders, across my chest and... hell I don't know where he went.  I was pretty much in the panicked flailing twelve year old mode.

It was one of those really big, hairless bastards that could only have been the offspring of demons and nightmares.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#15]
While I hate spiders, and snakes too, what REALLY gives me the creeps are BEES. Not honey bees or bumble bees, but hornets. The big black bastards with white faces that build the cone shaped nests. You haven't really lived until you've had a swarm of those bastards after you. Wasps rank a close second.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I think spiders are pretty cool, at least until they get within the arachnoid version of "21 feet." Then, if I'm at work, the can of chlorinated brake cleaner comes out! That stuff works so fast, they don't even have time to do the kibbie before they're dead. Any spider I find in the bathroom is dead, too, because you don't want to just jump up from what you're doing in there. I avoid using porta-potties as well, because you never know what might be lurking in there. Throwing insects in a web is still fascinating to me, especially when you consider that the spider is pretty much blind and finds the prey by vibration. The way they come running does make me shudder, though!

Wasps, bees, etc, don't bother me - we used to use wiffleball bats to play pinata with wasp nests in trees and see how many hits we could make before they came out en masse. Sometimes you ran faster than the wasps, sometimes the wasps flew faster than you ran. Nests in the ground really suck when you step on one, and "white-asses" (don't know the correct name but you'll know one if you see one) can really put a hurtin' on ya!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I like catching a black widow or two and putting em in the same cage.  See who wins or just watch the one eat.  Hahaha.... they gets hungry.  The wife hates it but she gave up and bought me a nice terrarium for it.   I have found about 15 IN houses I have lived in in the past 10 years.  Outside, they are everywhere.  

The worst in my book is a brown recluse.  Had one on my shoulder till my buddy smacked it off me and then showed the thing to me.  I bought him a few beers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://www.spiderman.sonypictures.com/trailer/images/trans.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[img]http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/91/003_SPIDERMAOS.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've run into half a dozen be hives.  I've just been lucky that way.  I consider it Karma for all the bees I caught, tortured and killed when I was a kid.  Bee's don't bother me.  Snakes don't bother me.  Those ugly misshapen bulbous naked nasty demon spiders bug me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top