Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First time I had that was when I was in the ROK in the mid 90s. I was like . Then I was like . And would buy a few packs a couple times a week. When I came back to the states, I only was able to find it a few times here and there, mostly at Asian food marts. Now my local grocery store stocks it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Just cooked up some with egg and bok choy.
Dinner companion in BOD:  Epic ass

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets say, for a second, I'm too cheap to buy it online.

What spices would you guys think are in the little packet. I'm thinking of mixing some stuff up to try to replicate it with cheap shitty ramen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The cups never taste right to me.  I don't know why but I will only eat bagged ramen.  If I were to blindly taste both I could tell you which one is from a styrafoam cup.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lets say, for a second, I'm too cheap to buy it online.

What spices would you guys think are in the little packet. I'm thinking of mixing some stuff up to try to replicate it with cheap shitty ramen.

It's from Korea. I'm not sure you want to know. And the really good things in life can't be replicated anyway.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bet that burns you twice.

Actually, three times... You get serious heartburn, too.

This is a staple at our house.  It's quite good for lunch or a snack.
It is NOT for beginners, though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, yes, I love that stuff, gonna have some tomorrow.

Yes, it does clear sinuses well.

ETA: Don't eat it with a cold, your nose-drippings might fall in.

ETA2: And to those that say don't drink the soup because of the salt, give it to me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmmmmmmm good stuff!  They were on sale at my local food store recently - 3 for a buck.  I stocked up, and took a bunch to work for days I forget to brown-bag my lunch and the mess hall entrees often suck a$$...
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Those noodles can be very good, but the carb count is unreal.

I'll have a bite if the GF is munching, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to be the jedi knight of ramen noodle preparation

but i retired
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
How much is this stuff at asian stores? Is it cheaper than 1 dollar a pack?

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats Korean ramen noodles.

Its really good with egg and cheese, you can even put hotdogs slices too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thats Korean ramen noodles.

Its really good with egg and cheese, you can even put hotdogs slices too.

I'm cooking my last bag of it, and am wondering how much it costs if I buy it at an asian store. I can order it online for 75 cents a pack.

And I've been cooking it with eggs.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried it because of this thread.  The spices in that little packet don't fuck around.  My lips and tongue were tingling for an hour afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to 1998!! (I discovered this stuff during a tour in Korea)

I never went for adding eggs, causes too much gas. Add a can of tuna or a can of boned chicken and this stuff rocks!! Proven to cure head-colds and swine-flu!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Never seen that before. Might have to go see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could get the same brand/flavor but without the MSG.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HDARPDG2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Holy shit that stuff is good. And it clears the sinuses. This is NOT your stereotypical ramen. It tastes great, and if you're not used to spicy foods, will kick your ass. It even clears my sinuses, and I love spicy foods.

Check this stuff out, you won't be sorry.

It's the only Ramyun I eat. Drop an egg or two in it... some ham chunks and poor over rice you need to get rid of. I like cheese in mine as well. Been eating it for years. You can normally get it at the local Asian market by the case too.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, 44% of your daily sodium intake.  No wonder more & more Americans are ending up with high blood pressure.
Being a lazy fat fucker doesn't help either.

88% if you eat the whole bowl, there is 2 servings in that container.  Over 2 grams of sodium.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to disappoint you guys but I think a lot of the Amazon stock is made here and is not as potent.

The Asian grocery stuff is real.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I was introduced to it in Korea 90-91  ... Better known as "Chicken cheese Ramen". We would hit the "Chop hound" after an evening out at the 777 Club by CRC.  Mmmm, good times !

I buy that stuff by the case at the local oriental market. It is just as potent as the stuff you get at Kroger or Wal-mart.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Found it at the local korean market for 80 cents a pack. I got a few 5 packs.

While as a person who's used to shitty ramen, paying 8 times as much is kind of weird.

But hell, for the price of good black hills 77 grain match, I could eat 56 meals for the cost of one high power match.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#23]
80 cents a pack is a good deal.  "Normal" price in Chinatown in Philly is $1/pack.  At other Oriental grocers outside of Chinatown* I end up paying $1.25 or more per pack.  You did well.

*:  nb I have not priced it at the Vietnamese "enclave" in South Philly near Snyder Ave, and it has been a number of years since I have frequented the Korean groceries in Upper Darby.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HDARPDG2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Holy shit that stuff is good. And it clears the sinuses. This is NOT your stereotypical ramen. It tastes great, and if you're not used to spicy foods, will kick your ass. It even clears my sinuses, and I love spicy foods.

Check this stuff out, you won't be sorry.

It's better if you take the spice pack out and mix it in your rice cooker with about 3/4 cup of rice.

Throw away the noodles. Use rice. Be happy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Thanks, I'll try it.  Always on the lookout for a good Ramen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love how they made the noodles in a round shape that fits into a pan instead of a square like the American ramen. Why didn't we think of that?

Quoted:
They make a cup version of that too.  Add hot water, wait a few minutes, and mmmmmm!

I have this shit, also Nong Shim. Tastes identical to the kind in the pretty package. O-Mart in Killeen, TX had a cases of these on sale for 5 bucks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/skslvr/STH71484.jpg

It's weird this thread just came up. I just had a couple bowls of those within the last few days for the first time in about a year.

I used to have a Korean gf, and she always wanted to have those on hand when she was visiting here in the States.

Having a bowl right now. This stuff burns me up, I don't know why I do this to myself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love how they made the noodles in a round shape that fits into a pan instead of a square like the American ramen. Why didn't we think of that?

Quoted:

They make a cup version of that too.  Add hot water, wait a few minutes, and mmmmmm!

I have this shit, also Nong Shim. Tastes identical to the kind in the pretty package. O-Mart in Killeen, TX had a cases of these on sale for 5 bucks.

It's weird this thread just came up. I just had a couple bowls of those within the last few days for the first time in about a year.

I used to have a Korean gf, and she always wanted to have those on hand when she was visiting here in the States.

Having a bowl right now. This stuff burns me up, I don't know why I do this to myself.
Ever since I ate my ex's family habanero chili anything below that is easy and tasty.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever since I ate my ex's family habanero chili anything below that is easy and tasty.

Yeah, it wasn't so bad today. There have been times when I've almost broke into a sweat eating that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love this stuff. Try to keep plenty in stock. Local Giant/Martins stores have it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love this stuff. Try to keep plenty in stock. Local Giant/Martins stores have it.

Walmart has it too. I just had a bowl tonight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#31]
yeah, the REAL Ramen stuff rocks.. and there is a ton of variety in it as well.. I used to get some seriously good Ramen back when I lived right across the street from Chinatown in NYC. IN my little podunk town in Nevada.. cant find anything like that. I may have to run into Vegas and hit up the "chinatown" there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the suggestion but I do not eat a lot of jail house spaghetti..

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top