Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 4:14:48 PM EDT
[size=4]Pakistan hands over senior al-Qaida leader Zubaydah to United States[/size=4]
Mon Apr 1, 1:46 PM ET
By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Pakistani authorities have handed over to the United States a man considered the biggest catch yet in the war on terrorism: Abu Zubaydah, a senior al-Qaida leader believed to be leading an attempt to reconstitute the group in Pakistan.

The man has acknowledged he is Zubaydah, according to a senior Pakistani intelligence official and others familiar with his capture. Several of his former associates identified him from photographs, U.S. officials said. He would be the highest-ranking leader in the terrorist organization to fall into American hands since the Sept. 11 attacks.

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Zubaydah is either the No. 2 man in Osama bin Laden's terrorist group or "very close to the No. 2 person in the organization." But he refused Monday to confirm his capture, saying it does not help the anti-terror campaign to publicize individuals who have been apprehended.

Acting on information obtained by the CIA, Pakistani officers, joined by the CIA and the FBI, carried out the raids. Zubaydah was shot in the stomach, legs and groin by Pakistanis as he tried to escape one of the raids at a compound in Faisalabad, one U.S. official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. He has been receiving medical treatment, and is expected to survive. He was transferred to U.S. custody over the weekend.

Zubaydah, as a senior al-Qaida operational planner, would plot attacks based on guidance from Osama bin Laden and his inner circle. Zubaydah would contact the cells in the field to conduct them, authorities have said.

If Zubaydah talks, he could be a tremendous resource to U.S. investigators. As the link between bin Laden's inner circle and foreign terrorist cells, Zubaydah is believed to know the names, faces and locations of operatives worldwide. He also may know where bin Laden is hiding.

He is known to have organized several attacks on U.S. interests, including the millennium plots to bomb Los Angeles International Airport and a hotel in Jordan frequented by American tourists, U.S. officials say. He also is believed to have played a role in a foiled plot to blow up the U.S. embassies in Sarajevo and Paris last fall, as well as the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

In a recent interview, U.S. President George Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, singled out Zubaydah as one target in the U.S. war on terror, calling him a "very dangerous man."

Officials have identified Zubaydah as one of two or three surviving al-Qaida leaders capable of succeeding bin Laden if he is killed.

A senior Pakistani intelligence officer told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the man believed to be Zubaydah is among about 20 Arabs to be flown to the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where hundreds of al-Qaida and Taliban prisoners are detained.

Zubaydah, 31, is a Palestinian who was born in Saudi Arabia. He is also known as Zain al-Abidin Muhahhad Husain.

See remainder of article at:[url]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020401/ap_wo_en_ge/us_pakistan_al_qaida_4[/url]

Eric The(Amazed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
And yet another Arabian.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am looking forward to when we get OBL and light up Iraq/Hussein...I think that I better stock up on some popcorn and pop! I think that we should let this guy loose on Manhattan and see how far he makes it....nevermind, that would make us too much like them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Pshaw, pshaw, [b]subsailor[/b]![:D]

Just cause a man's born in Saudi Arabia of Palestinian parents doesn't mean that the POS is an Arab.

I won't believe that this fellow is an Arab until I hear [b]DaMan[/b] say it himself!

If there's anything I can count on it's his expertise in understanding the Arab world.

Eric The(Facetious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
NBC news, of course, had to take a swipe at the military by saying that this was done by intelligince sources and the Pakistani police since the US military had not been able to do so.  It didn't seem to matter to NBC that the military wasn't operating in Pakistan.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NBC news, of course, had to take a swipe at the military by saying that this was done by intelligence sources and the Pakistani police since the US military had not been able to do so.  It didn't seem to matter to NBC that the military wasn't operating in Pakistan.
View Quote

L.G.,
just a modest oversight on the part of NBC.

Had the military been involved then the cry would have been: "WHY is the military in Pakistan?"
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They need to drug him with some true syrum.
Get all the info they can out of him.

Then give him a wicked dose of high grade LSD,
send him on a real bad trip and lock him up
in a room full of pigs.
You know how Arabs hate pigs.

It would drive him insane, as if they aren't all ready.

Then kill him. Burry him with the pigs. Now he
can't have his 72 virgins.
View Quote

I think the painkilers and anesthetic were the only reason they got him to give up his name and identify himslef. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have talked at all... We are going to find out how committed this guy is to dying for the cause- he has a death sentance awaiting him in Jordan for plotting to assinate old King Hussain, new King Abdullah hasn't forgotten that. "So which do you want, talk to us and spend your life in a comfy US federal pen or be quiet and we find Bin Laden anyways- and ship your ass off to Jordan"...[:D]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They need to drug him with some true syrum.
Get all the info they can out of him.

Then give him a wicked dose of high grade LSD,
send him on a real bad trip and lock him up
in a room full of pigs.
You know how Arabs hate pigs.

It would drive him insane, as if they aren't all ready.

Then kill him. Burry him with the pigs. Now he
can't have his 72 virgins.
View Quote
NBC did say something about interrogating him in a country where the interrogators wouldn't have the same restraints as they would in the US and didn't blink an eye.  Of course, they did start again about how Johnny Bin Walker had been mistreated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, I too am awaiting Damans wisdom before I make public comment.  

If it is him however perhaps DaMan will donate the pigskin for the funeral.
View Quote

Doubtful, he wants to save all his pigskins for burying JEWS in...

After all if it werent for the JEWS these poor Palistinains wouldn't of had to crash our planes and kill over 2800 Americans.[pissed]

{This guy Zubayda IS a Palistinian, his parents were [s]slaves[/s] guest workers in Saudi so that was where he grew up but he is a Palistinian)
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
You think he'll talk or we'll torture him until the ACLU bitches and we have to be "humane?"  I'm hoping they simply drop him into general population in any US prison.  I find it fitting that he'll get fucked in the ass for however long he lasts.  Even better yet, we SHOULD hand him over to the Jordanians for a prompt execution.  I can't wait to see what his fate will be.

Anyone surprised that the Paki gov handed him over this fast?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It was supposed to be the FBI who did the legwork in tracking the al qaeda members down, and they only brought in the Paks at the last minute for the raids themselves to prevent security breaches. But I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the "FBI" agents were very recently sworn in and already had short haircuts, if you catch my drift.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It also dawned on me when I read this that if they can get this bastege to talk they can get the low down on every cell operating in this country.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
[url]http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/03/31/niraq31.xml[/url]

BRITAIN'S most senior general has secretly instructed regimental commanders to prepare for an invasion of Iraq this autumn.

General Sir Michael Walker, the Chief of the General Staff, effectively placed the Army on a war footing earlier this month when he addressed more than 30 senior officers in Warminster, Wiltshire.

His speech, to the cream of the officer corps, warned them to prepare for a major offensive against Saddam Hussein later this year. All the officers are due to take command of armoured, infantry and artillery regiments in the next few weeks, the units that would spearhead the British contribution to a second Gulf war.

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Saddamm knows this is comming?? So what is he doing??? I will see if I can't find anything.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top