Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/1/2002 7:51:53 AM EDT
[b]"[i]Ghost Soldiers[/i],"[/b] by Hampton Sides. This book is the story both of the survivors of the Bataan Death March and the men that the Sixth Army sent to rescue them once US forces landed on Luzon in 1944. The US Army had first hand evidence that the Japanese were slaughtering prisoners when US forces got too close to their prison camps, so it became an almost religious duty to rescue the men in the Cabanatuan prison camp rather than let them be murdered wholesale by their captors. General Krueger of the Sixth Army gave the mission to LtCol Henry Mucci and his Sixth Ranger Battalion. Aside from a few instances of shocking moral relativism when the author tries to explain away the immoral and evil policies and actions of the Japanese, this is a well-told story. The author is a regular contributor to the Washington Post, so I'm not overly surprised by his soft-centered moral take, but it does detract a touch from what is otherwise a terrific tale. I still highly recommend it for the detailed look at a little-known episode in World War II.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:06:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2002 8:07:53 AM EDT by kpel308]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:20:30 AM EDT
Thanks for the info guys - I am a "bookworm". I will pick this one up ASAP. Tyler
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2002 12:22:30 PM EDT by 71-Hour_Achmed]
At the WAC gunshow in Puyallup, there is a former POW who sells his autobiographical book about his experiences. "My Life With the Samurai: How I Survived Japanese Death Camps" by Anthony Cowling. No ISBN, since it's self-published. He lives in the Vancouver/Victoria B.C. area. If you want a copy, you can email him at [green]acowling@cowlingplus.com[/green] to get it by mail or to see when he'll be at another gunshow. Regrettably, Masajiro Kawato [url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=ace28m&date=20011228]passed away[/url] last December. He was the Japanese fighter ace who shot down "Pappy" Boyington (Baa-Baa Black Sheep), wrote "Bye-Bye Black Sheep", and was at the WAC shows until about the middle of last year. Edited to note: hyperlinks using "mailto:" for the URL don't work. Oh well. If GB wants some contract development done to resolve this difficult problem. . . . [:D]
Top Top