Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2001 1:51:05 AM EDT
I Have a new 6601 that needs some breaking in and wondered if the Black Hills moly-coated 69 grain 223 would help out. Since the barrel is not chrome lined, I figured the barrel would pickup the moly.

Any ideas or comments on the best way to 'sweeten' the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
the 55gr fmj`s should work out fine, just be meticulous in the cleaning process as beekeeper says. armalite states that the break in process is not really as critical as some believe, but they do recommend it. i used fmj`s with bench rest and some very fine oil from the hvac dept (at work) that is used for guages etc. probably almost identical to the sewing machine oil, but the idea is to use oil of that quality, highly refined very clean lightweight yet high lubricity (whew!) take the effort, it`s worth it.....[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple of other cautions. If you use a copper remover, use only the bore solvent and other cleaners and oils recommended by that brand. Some chemicals don't mix and cause corrosion.
I think Sweets can be used with Hoppes Number 9.
A lot of the benchrest people were using Jim Brobst Bore Paste or similar products which removes the fouling and puts a microfine polish on the bore over time.
If you clean on every shot for the first 10 shots with sweets, you'll start to notice less and less blue gunk coming out. The barrel is picking up less copper fouling.
If it isn't, you can fire lap it with NECO's kit--check the Sinclair catalog or site.
But, having done all this religiously with a dozen or so rifles, the last upper I purchased--a high-rise DPMS bull barrel--I just shot the thing with copper jackets and cleaned it with Hoppes and it will shoot dime sized groups at 100 yds all day.
I've read also the you don't want the barrel TOO smooth, just smooth enough so it won't foul heavily.
I've also been reading some negative things about moly. I've shot moly extensively and although I question that it has any harmful effect, I don't think it helps any either. it's just another chore to do, IMHO. So I'm eventually going back to copper.
Remember too that most guns suffer more damage from over-zealous cleaning (military-style) than any other cause. You don't *have* to scrub the inside crevices of that bolt carrier free of all carbon, for instance, or take apart your M1A--which screws it up.
The service is like Catholic School. They really get to you. I've been out 20 years now, and I still get the remorseful crawlies if I don't clean every itsy bitsy little piece, or heaven forbid, leave it dirty in the gunsafe.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoppe`s bench rest is what i meant. the thing about the military, is that rifles/parts are available for immidiate replacement. i was wondering if anyone used the spray type moly-lube.if so, how was/is it? seems like a extra uneeded process.....[heavy]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top