Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/29/2002 7:11:38 PM EDT
I went to the gym last night with my wife & a friend, scanned in my card which brings my name & picture up on their computer. My name came up on their monitor but the picture was of a Seikh Terrorist!! I blew a fuse & demanded they remove the picture, which they promptly did. I spoke with the owner today who apologized profusely. I'm still pissed off about it. [pissed] A similar thing happened to me on Sept. 11th when a co-workder asked me which side of the war I was on. I blew a fuse that day also...she apologized in writing after I spoke with the top dog at my facility. If you hadn't guessed already, I'm Islamic by birth...& American by choice...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:21:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:23:56 PM EDT
Sorry to hear about it Matrix. Ignorant fools are the same the world over. I have a personal saying that I will share with you. "I am colorblind, but I can smell an A**hole a mile away!" Nuff said. -White Horse I can see that you understand the importance of being a true American. It's not where you're from, it's who you choose to be.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2002 7:36:43 PM EDT by jobux]
Matrix, I can kind of relate. While I'm not muslim, I am of mediterranean descent. I was born here & grew up here. My parents are both long-time American citizens, my father since the late '60's. Ever since 9/11 some people seem to think that the fact that my father speaks w/ an accent means that he's a foreigner & this gives them free reign to insult him. One incident really comes to mind, some jackass hillbilly was blocking the driveway to a local Midas. My parents, along w/ 3 other cars were blocked out. My father goes into Midas, asks the manager what's going on, & then the manager asks the hillbilly to move his car. Well hillbilly doesn't say shit to the manager but turns to my dad and says to my dad that he won't move his car b/c he doesn't listen to what "foreigners" say! He also says my dad's not an American! Well, my dad is no slouch & told the guy that he was a better American than that hillbilly was, & if hillbilly didn't get in his car and move it he'd end up knocked on his ass next to the car. Anyway, hillbilly runs off, moves the car & the other people waiting basically tell my dad "good job." Crap like this happens more since 9/11 too. Nevermind the fact that my dad has started multiple businesses, pays his taxes, employs quite a few "Americans", gives to the community, and is 100% loyal to this country... Ignorance, poor education, & xenophobia are on the increase my friends...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:55:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2002 8:00:49 PM EDT by mattja]
When I was a kid growing up, the neighborhood rednecks (we were like 10 years old and they were in their 20's) burned a swastika on our front lawn with gasoline because they thought we were Jewish. Our last name sounds Jewish, but we are Presbyterian and our family has been such for 300 years or so. Anyway, when we got older, we poured a bucket of piss on the front seat of their car and shot their windows out with pellet guns. We moved before we were old enough to own real guns. It would have been a bloodbath had we stayed. Anyway, my motto is never take sh*t, even if it means you may get your ass kicked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:08:05 PM EDT
I knew it all Matrix. So much effort to blend in and play the "good American." Something fishy... Seriously, is the gym hooked into the FBI's central computer, or what!?!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:14:11 PM EDT
Just because someone wears turban doesn't mean he is a terrorist. You are a dumb ass. Seikh or Sikh is from India (usually from Punjab region) they are not muslims.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:33:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LngBchAR15: Just because someone wears turban doesn't mean he is a terrorist. You are a dumb ass. Seikh or Sikh is from India (usually from Punjab region) they are not muslims.
View Quote
You are correct. My statement was not meant to imply that Siekhs are terrorist...only that the picture was of a Siekh Terrorist...it was obvious from the picture that it was not a pacifist Siekh. As for me being a dumb ass...I've been accused of worse...by better people than you. F.U.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:41:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:55:12 PM EDT
Aimless, would that be Gobind Sadan in Hastings, NY? I'm not Sikh but I lived in upstate NY (Syracuse) for 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:55:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter69: I knew it all Matrix. So much effort to blend in and play the "good American." Something fishy... Seriously, is the gym hooked into the FBI's central computer, or what!?!
View Quote
No...I think its just connected to the internet & someone downloaded a picture of a terrorist (my perception of one) & plastered it next to my name. Idiots...I'm expecting a call back next week with the results of his staff meeting to find out who did it & what, if any, action is taken.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:00:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:25:12 PM EDT
Wasalaam Alaykum Matrix, American by birth, German/Serbian by heritage, Muslim by my own free will. My mixed European heritage has both saved me from that kind of outrage and put me into some pretty sticky situations where ignorants felt the need to shoot their mouths off around me. In the end the best thing to is let it slip and say a prayer for them, that their ignorance and misplaced anger doesnt blind them for the rest of their lives. Depending on the situation though sometimes its best to say something, my WA-ARNG Military ID has come in handy a few times along with a reminder that they'd better hope I'm not a terrorist because I'm defending the country. A good friend of mine, is an up and coming Kyokushinkai brown belt in the same dojo as my wife, and very obviously Arabian. He's a sweetheart of a guy and a fantastic martial artist, but after 9/11 he's been getting a lot of flack. One day we were sitting on campus here at WSU having a conversation over lunch with some 'greeks'. They were asking some questions of Mo (Mohammad) that after a while became obviously offensive. Mo finaly points to me and said to them "Look at this guy, he's obviously American, he's white and he's in the Army, and yet he prays and goes to Mosque far more often than I do, why dont you ask him?" You know its funny how red people can turn and how quickly they retreat when their stereotypes turn out to be very wrong.... Amir
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:29:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By LngBchAR15: Aimless, would that be Gobind Sadan in Hastings, NY? I'm not Sikh but I lived in upstate NY (Syracuse) for 5 years.
View Quote
Yes
View Quote
hastings? upstate?? hahahahahhahhahahhaha don't make me laugh. at best it would qualifie for mid-state. you want upstate? try north of the adirondak park region. if you don't know i am all alone up here in clinton county with all those rednecks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:35:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:36:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Matrix: I went to the gym last night with my wife & a friend, scanned in my card which brings my name & picture up on their computer. My name came up on their monitor but the picture was of a Seikh Terrorist!! I blew a fuse & demanded they remove the picture, which they promptly did. I spoke with the owner today who apologized profusely. I'm still pissed off about it. [pissed] A similar thing happened to me on Sept. 11th when a co-workder asked me which side of the war I was on. I blew a fuse that day also...she apologized in writing after I spoke with the top dog at my facility. If you hadn't guessed already, I'm Islamic by birth...& American by choice...
View Quote
dude, dont blow up so much. calmly take care of the situation. people are scared and rejected at the same time. really bad combo. if there ugly, rejected/stupid, and scared, run for your life! [:D] i dont know if you were born here or not, but your human, and if you imigrated here, Welcome to AMERICA!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:39:54 PM EDT
when i said, "But your human" i mean, we are all human and no one should treat you like that, but strong words i can see being used. i am sure you can hanndle the situation without my input! LOL
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:41:48 PM EDT
Oh ya, what am i saying? ha...welcome to America LOL, i ment welcome to TEXAS!!! were just nice enough to share our boarders with the rest of the United States [beer] where in texas you live?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:45:58 PM EDT
GuardTanker, by 'greeks' I assume since you're on a college campus you meant those of the frat variety, not the country. =) Don't want one groups ignorance connected to a nation...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:21:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC: dude, dont blow up so much. ...
View Quote
From the sounds of it, "blowing a fuse" would be the appropriate response in both the cases Matrix mentioned. "Which side are you on?" Is a pretty thickheaded (or outright bigoted) thing to ask. I don't think Matrix was cheering for the terrrorists. The people at the gym should already have a short list of suspects. I'm doubtful about a staff meeting helping much, people who know something may be reluctant to reveal it in front of others. But it would be a good place for the management to rip a collective new asshole for everyone. My one-on-ones would go like this: 1. Those who create & update the photo ID's and the office management. 2. Those who preliminary inquiries or common knowledge indicate have computer savvy. Then there is the possibility of hacking from outside. There just might be adequate logging in their system to pin down the possibilities. The problem is, they can't get too accusatory unless they have solid proof and unless somebody confesses or gives up the jerk, the legal risks may have them in paralysis. If I were the owner, I'd be offering to waive Matrix's dues for the next year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:27:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jobux: GuardTanker, by 'greeks' I assume since you're on a college campus you meant those of the frat variety, not the country. =) Don't want one groups ignorance connected to a nation...
View Quote
Jobux- yes, I hoped the quotes and the small g-greeks would indicate this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2002 12:44:27 AM EDT by Kar98]
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: I guess this kind of thing is to be expected. My last name is Krause--with an "e" that my family added in the 1940's to be more "American."
View Quote
LOL, that's too funny! Krause is actually even more common in Germany than Kraus. Why didn't they just change the S into a T, come to think of it? ;) *poke poke*
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:45:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jobux: Matrix, I can kind of relate. While I'm not muslim, I am of mediterranean descent. I was born here & grew up here. My parents are both long-time American citizens, my father since the late '60's. Ever since 9/11 some people seem to think that the fact that my father speaks w/ an accent means that he's a foreigner & this gives them free reign to insult him. One incident really comes to mind, some jackass hillbilly was blocking the driveway to a local Midas. My parents, along w/ 3 other cars were blocked out. My father goes into Midas, asks the manager what's going on, & then the manager asks the hillbilly to move his car. Well hillbilly doesn't say shit to the manager but turns to my dad and says to my dad that he won't move his car b/c he doesn't listen to what "foreigners" say! He also says my dad's not an American! Well, my dad is no slouch & told the guy that he was a better American than that hillbilly was, & if hillbilly didn't get in his car and move it he'd end up knocked on his ass next to the car. Anyway, hillbilly runs off, moves the car & the other people waiting basically tell my dad "good job." Crap like this happens more since 9/11 too. Nevermind the fact that my dad has started multiple businesses, pays his taxes, employs quite a few "Americans", gives to the community, and is 100% loyal to this country... Ignorance, poor education, & xenophobia are on the increase my friends...
View Quote
Wow you used "Hillbilly" 6 times in a paragraph!!! Be careful.....calling people "hillbillys" is just as bad as calling your dad a foreigner. Remember not to judge people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:01:12 AM EDT
Oops, well I thought hillbilly was akin to bumpkin or descriptions of that sort. I didn't know it was a term which defined a cultural/social group that people claim to belong to. Oh well, my apologies to any real hillbillies or coon-asses out there who might have taken offense at my description & linking of a general idiot to your culture. Out of curiosity, are hillbillies related to "coon-asses" in any way?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:07:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:27:12 AM EDT
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe that I would have to move to "Extreme Upstate New York" in order to be among my own kindred. Rednecks in NY, hillbillies in TX... and a very nice muslim family living nextdoor to me here in Nashville. I am so confused.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:47:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless: I said upstate -not the end of the frickin world! [:D] Actually I lived up there for awhile-attended Kindey garden in Chazy.
View Quote
well, thats not so bad a guess. so far this is the closest thing to a "local" ar15.commer i have met. chazy is really close to me and my aunt lives there. but you said you "used" to live there, so you still arent local to me. oh well, i keep trying to get people to sighn up, but they don't seem to follow up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:24:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jobux: Oops, well I thought hillbilly was akin to bumpkin or descriptions of that sort. I didn't know it was a term which defined a cultural/social group that people claim to belong to.
View Quote
Ahem. There are good hillbillies and bad hillbillies, just like there are good [s]wops[/s] peopleofmediterraneandescent and bad [s]wops[/s] peopleofmediterraneandescent. [:D] Or, to quote [u]Catch 22[/u], "Racial prejudice is a terrible thing, Yossarian. It really is. It's a terrible thing to treat a decent, loyal Indian like a nigger, kike, wop, or spic."
Oh well, my apologies to any real hillbillies or coon-asses out there who might have taken offense at my description & linking of a general idiot to your culture. Out of curiosity, are hillbillies related to "coon-asses" in any way?
View Quote
I haven't heard that term before. "Coon" is/used to be the same as "nigger", "spook", "jungle bunny", or "jigaboo", though. I suspect that "coon-ass" is just a variation on the same theme. You might want to avoid using the term in polite society, if you ever mix with any.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:09:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:22:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
I guess I must look like a terrorist. A new patient asked me today what my heritage was. I told her I was Indian. She asked if I was "one of the folks that caused all the troubles on Sept. 11th." Stupid bitch...she was serious. I should have kicked her face first out of my clinic.
Top Top