Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 6:15:35 PM EDT
Ok first of all I have to tell you that I really don't like Wally world but one of my vendors sent me a thank you letter along with a $10.00 gift card to Walmart.  I go in there to use the gift card toward a bonus box of Federal 12 ga. trap shells and when I got through the  long line and the cashier scanned the box the display reads "DO NOT SELL", and she told me sorry I can't sell these to you!  I asked for an explanation and she referred me to the front end supervisor who just  blew me off with "oh, we can't sell these to you, they might be defective or something".  Now I was very perturbed and told her that there were like 55 boxes of them on the shelf and she just remarked that they will have to pull them off the shelves.  Has anyone else had this experience and also does anyone know what possible reason could be behind the recall if that is indeed the case?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you look like a terrorist, per chance?  [;D]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I look like a terrorist, but, then again since we now have teenage girls blowing themselves up for their (sic)cause then who's to say.  No, the register read "do not sell" when she scanned the UPC.  IT didn't read, do not sell to handsome golf course superintendent.  I was just kind of freaked out by the whole bizarre episode but  hey it was in Wally world and if you want to visit a foreign country you need look no further than your local Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Green, they didn't sell them to you b/c they were holding them for me.

In all honesty, Wally World has the best prices on slugs I have ever seen. 15 Win Super X for $5.97.

I always buy a min of 6 boxes at a time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had better luck paying at the Sports desk than up front.  Couple times I've run into similar problems and I think someone screwed up when they entered the info into the main data bank.  Seems I went back next day and was ok.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Walmart sucks, I refuse to buy anything from them, and you all should too.  I do like to go in and stare at all the women though...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
what time was it?  the upcs have a code on them and in some states you can't buy ammo at certain times, that's what it probably was.  when i worked at wally world in high school, they had only like 2 or 3 codes for different things, i wouldn't sweat it, the mgr probably didn't know either , a trained monkey could manage a wal-mart.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in a Walmart today and they had lots of Federal on the shelves.  Didn't purchase any though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they refusing to sell just the Federal, or all ammo? If they are refusing to sell all ammo, don't give those pusillanimous twits anymore business.
ARH
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It might have something to do with the fact that you were using a gift card.  I think there might be restrictions on what merchandise you can purchase with them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
People who shop at walmart.............
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It might have something to do with the fact that you were using a gift card.  I think there might be restrictions on what merchandise you can purchase with them.
View Quote

But you would think that they could at least mention that if it was true......
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
a trained monkey could manage a wal-mart.
View Quote

They do.
View Quote

They're getting training now?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy shells at Wal-Mart all the time.  Usually a box of .45 every time I go in.  I would shop elsewhere, but it is the only friggin place in 40 miles that sells ammo.  That said I went in to buy a box of .45's the other day and the ass that sometimes works sporting goods is on duty.  He gets my ammo and I told him I wanted to pay for the rest of my stuff (a handfull of items) back there.  For 5 minutes while he checked me out he pissed and moaned about having to ring up other items, telling me I could have wrote another check up front.  I qietly waited and listened as he finished ringing me up.  By now there are about 10 other people watching this play out.  I then calmly told him if he didnt want to run a cash register, he shouldnt have taken the job.  At this he explodes and tells me he "doesnt have to even sell me guns or bullets.  It says so in the book"!!!  Now I am pissed and told him "Is that right?  Well hand me my bags and I'll talk to your manager about that."  I went to the front and had the store manager paged up front.  About ten minutes later she shows up and I explained what had happened (along with other problems I have had with him).  Upon stating his name, before I get the story out, she asks me "What did he do now?"  The last few times I have been in there he leaves when I enter sporting goods, but the very last time, he couldnt get away.  It took forever to get him to wait on me, but he definately had a different attitude.  Checked FOID card, date, picture....then I told him I would like to pay for the rest of my stuff back there.....hehehe.  My present goal is to get this guy to snap on me to get him moved out of sporting goods or canned.  I cant handle people working retail that dont want to do customer service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
garheadjr you are a much more patient person than I could ever hope to be . I was getting pissed off just reading your story. I tip my hat to you . An ass beating was in order.
                                  TNT
[50]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, there are local ordinances on ammo sales in some places.  I know in a somewhat small town around here where there is a Wal-Mart, there is a sign in the sporting goods section that says no gun or ammo sales after 9 p.m. as per town ordinances. (It's a 24 hour Super Wal-Mart)
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'm lucky, the guys at the Wal-mart sports counter where I shop are fun, normal people.  Only time I've ever had a problem was when the clerk for sporting goods had left early and forgot to leave the keys behind(needless to say, took forever for the manager to come and unlock the ammo).
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I dunno, never had a bit of trouble buying those Federal target shells in 12 guage at the register in Sporting Goods.

My only complaint is those shells smell like crap when you shoot them [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

But you would think that they could at least mention that if it was true......
View Quote

Actually after trying to get someone of a higher authority to come up front and explain this situation to me I gave up and did go back and grab a bonus box of Winchester 12 ga. and brought them up and paid with the card with no problems, so the Federal thing remains a mystery.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Well that blows my theory out of the water.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I've alerted our folks in product support about this.....

Kinda funny tho....

We sell 12ga ammo toWal-mart in 1000 case lots
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#23]
stare at all the women though...
View Quote

At Walmart?  That's scary!z

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#24]
One day I went to walmart to to buy a butt load of ammo for day of blasting...I had close to $150 worth of ammo ready when the guy at the counter says that he is going on break and for me to take the stuff up front to be checked out. I got in line and put the stuff on the conveyer belt...well the cashier was a hippy college girl with multiple piercings when she sees all of these boxes of ammo she says "You know nothing good comes out of owning guns.  Having these evil devices only perpetuates the wrongs of an unjust society."
I asked to see the manager and told him that I enjoy the convience of buying ammo for lower prices but if I get $hit for buying a product sold by their company then I would take my business else where.  Hopefully she got canned.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
They wont sell you shells because you work on a golf course. I have seen this happen before they think you are going to go kill gofers or something. Gofer-cong, kill them all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I ran into a similar situation last summer. At the Wal-Mart near me, only the sporting goods counter is supposed to ring up ammo. However, the day I went in, the register there was broken. The clerk said to bring it to the front register and tell the girl, "when the message comes up, just escape out of it", which happened, and she did. I don't know if this is the same circumstance or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top