Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 2:23:31 PM EDT
Ok just to tell everyone out there my other name Tayous1 is not working so I made a new on.

Well I just enlisted for 4 years for Marine Grunt. I'm happy as hell and I'm looking forward to boot camp from what I hear for a few guys is that it was fun. My ship out date is going to be May 7 2002 unless I can try and go sooner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Godspeed and Good Luck!!!  

Get Some!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Raise one to Tuns Tavern. Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, have fun being an 03__.
I get out in 3 months (planning on taking terminal leave) and will be a proud member of the 1st Civ Div!!!
11 years is enough.
Tayous1, learn, and live by the moto Semper Gumby, cuz as a grunt, it will be the only thing you know, next to Semper Fieldayus.
Just think, when you get out, you can be a skilled janitor!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, ooh rah, semper fi, san diego or parris island? I went to boot in san diego back in '83.
The physical stuff is relatively easy if you are in shape, if not it will be hell. Run a few miles every day, do sit-ups and pull-ups to get ready. Don't believe anything your recruiter told ya, and do what the drill instructors tell ya to do without hesitation. Give the DI's respect but don't be afraid of them, they put on their pants one leg at a time like the rest of us, and try not to become one of the DI's special case. I was always in trouble cuz I couldn't march worth crap, thought everything was funny, and was from the same hometown as one of the DI's, but hey I graduated as guide of my platoon so I couldn't have been all that bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck and Godspeed.

[u]Some unsolicited advice:[/u]

Ship out in the best physical condition you can, but they will still wear your ass out.

Don't show up with anything stupid in your bloodstream, because you get a piss test the night you arrive. The results don't come back for a while, so it's possible to waste a lot of sweat, heartache and discontent if you pop positive.

You want to be The Man Who Wasn't There. The guy that the Drill Instructors can't put a name to until third phase.

Suck up all the knowledge that your PMIs give you on the rifle range. I assume you're a damn good shot with an AR, but these guys are another order of magnitude better than that. Be the blank slate for them to write their skills upon. BRASSF, high firm pistol grip, don't stress about the last shot, don't think about the next shot, this shot is the only one that counts.

When you get to the Fleet, find a Lance Corporal or Corporal who knows what the hell he's doing and emulate him. When you're a PFC, act like a Corporal and when it comes time for Pros and Cons, you're the man.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for serving your country, I and my family appreciate your service.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well done, and Godspeed, Tayous. A reminder; one of the occupational hazards of military service can be homesickness. Ignore it, and it will pass. Concentrate on your training, and give it your all, because they can kill you, but they can't eat you. Do well, and I promise you that you will enjoy the benefits of your efforts for the rest of your life, and will be a member of a very proud brotherhood.

NEVER QUIT.

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember, it is more of a mind game then a physical game.  But the physical game will leave you lying in a puddle of sweat on the Quarter Deck unable to move from exhaustion, or covered with sand looking like a sugar cookie.  That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.  Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Just think, a stinking Recruit is lower on the food chain then the critters that eat whale shit on the bottom of the ocean.  And right now, you can't even call yourself a recruit.  You don't even smell like Cash Sales yet!

And damnit, if I could turn back the clock, I would go stand on the yellow foot prints again with you.  You have made the best decision of your life.

Welcome Aboard, Showershoe!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
DPeacher, remember when you were a salty-assed third phase recruit, right around Final Drill or the Battalion Commander's inspection, when you would look down on the nasty forming mobs and first phase pigs in their wrinkly, still bright green cammies? Covers all screwed up looking, trousers rolled up instead of bloused, smelling like a heady mixture of fear sweat, clothing dye and chow hall food?

Ah, the good ol' days. (sniff)
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember everything is done according to a schedule. They only have a certain amount of time during the day to screw with you. Motivational PT(quarter deck/rose garden) can only last for a certain amount of time and it increases according to what training phase you are in. If there are still clip boards on a bulletin board at the quarter deck one of them will be the training schedule for your series. It will have a complete by the hour training schedule from T day 1 to graduation. Read it when you have fire watch. If you see the words "commanders time" translate that as "f*ck with the recruits time". It usually comes between training sessions or before and after meal times and never lasts more than 30 minutes and rarely more than 15 minutes. Forming is a period of a few days prior to T day 1. During this time the series of 4 platoons will form up. Also during this time unattached Drill instructors and student drill instructors will be assigned to each platoon for added shock value( a truly miserable time). During forming there may be 5-6 D.I's in the squadbay at one time. As of T day 1 your full time D.I.'s, 3-4 of them will take over by themselves and usually no more than 2 will be on duty at one time except during P.T. events like the O course or confidence course. Do what your told when your told exactly the way you are told to do it nothing more. Do not stop until you are told to stop. Example; when cleaning rifles by the numbers if you are told to clean the chamber do not stop and move on to the bore until your are told to do so even if you are cleaning the chamber for an hour or they will have your ass. Everything is an exercise in team work, discipline, motivation and ability to follow orders or instructions. Good luck, Semper Fi and I wish I was going (again).
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Nathan - congratulations and a heartfelt "thank you" for your service.

Tate
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
LISTEN CAREFULLY:

once in a while if you feel like your just sick and tired of standing there staring at the O in port on the wall, run up and ask for an emergency sit down head call.  sit your ass down for 5 seconds, flush the toilet and get back on line.  it breaks up the shittyness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Be the grey man and you'll do fine.
Listen learn its gonna be a whole new world.
good luck..semper fi
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You are da' man! good luck!I'm going to the Army
(too old for Marines)Infantry.See you in Kandahar!(sp)
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations on becoming part of the Navy   [flame]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Godspeed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
meshuggah: "Congratulations on becoming part of the Navy"

Ya, the Men's Department!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Ahhh Yes!

"Silver Bullet," learn it, love it, live it! (Your scalp will finally know the power of the Sun.)

"Gang way, live grenade" (Who'd a thunk a glass of milk could be so deadly!)

My best advice; NEVER EVER SLACK ON THE LOG DRILLS! (I would have ripped the larenx out of the fucks that would skate there.)

Lastly, Thank God you have come to know the privledge of "the few" who know what dedication and duty mean. For one day you will be out of "the suck" and ask yourself why you left and be filled with pride and sadness.

Its a kick in the balls that hurts now, but in the end you will come to appreciate it's pain; WHY? because you will belong... You will be part of that brotherood that is;

THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS!

Ohhhh Fucking Rahhh!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys!! I have not been able to write back that much because I have been working out so much the last past few days.

I also made the great mistake when I did my mile and half run by not stretching out enough. This was on Wednesday and today has been the first day I could really run and do the stair climber. I also felt my mistake by the second lap so my score was not that good I did it in a little under 13min I'm still pissed about that but my fault for not stretching out long enough. Anyway I'm going to run again tonight and see how much better I do this time.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Jarhead_22, You KNOW I do!  Or better yet, the kick in the nuts called Hell Week, three weeks from graduation and we found ourselves with our trousers unbloused and the top button of our cammie blouse buttoned down hard, experiencing multiple daily "island hopping campaigns", AND SOME BRAINLESS 2ND PHASE MESS &  MAINTENANCE IDIOT SERVING BUTTERED LIMA BEANS IN THE CHOW HALL SAYING "Stay motivated Prive! You're gonna love the Rifle Range!".

Gentlemen, that is THE graduate level course in humility.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
You lucky bastard, wish I could.

Good Luck.

PS, I hear the DIs take kindly to young Marines with "USMC" tats.  I'll even treat you to one. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Molon,

i am shure you will have fun & enjoy the experience, as long as you maintain your present attitude.......

it also wud help tremendously if the DI took a lyking to you right off, as they did wyth my son...., my son was 6'7" & 240 lbs of pure muscle, when he went in he had a shaved head, (thanx to a night before party where his buddys took turns shaving a spot), The top DI after the first week picked him out & said "your name is Moose" !! then told the rest of the company that "Moose" was their worst enemy, because they all wud have to measure up to his best, then the DI pushed my son to the limit.., his company graduated wyth some of the highest honors of what ever they do in MCRD San Diego....

i met his DIs after graduation at the party they customarily have, we tied on one hell of a drunk...., about 14 parents of new "Jarheads", the DIs & about 20 new "Jarheads"........
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You lucky bastard, wish I could.

Good Luck.

PS, I hear the DIs take kindly to young Marines with "USMC" tats.  I'll even treat you to one. [:D]
View Quote

I got to see at MAVBS what kind of crape you get for having a U.S.M.C. tat before you even get in to boot camp.. But this guy was also telling me that he was going in to Recon as his MOS.

I shaved off about 2min 30sec of my mile and half run and up to about 75 sit ups in 2min(I know I have to work on that.) I know I have to work on my pull ups the most. Anyone know any good way to work on the pull ups?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Good Luck and Godspeed to you!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#31]
The best way to work on pull-ups is.......pull-ups.

You do not understand this yet, but you will...

Semper Fi!

Now......go field-day the head. [b]NOW!!![/b]

Lew
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Molonlabe79 listen to Hydguy he speaks the truth. I was a 0351 and thought it would be cool and like rambo but let me tell you it was all work and not much fun. A young man may think going to fight terrorists is cool but the reality is people will die and you may as well. War is not fun it is scary shit, its seeing your buddies get killed, its being more scared than you thought you could be. Unless you scored real low on the ASVAB try getting a technical job you will still be a MARINE and you will have a skill when you get out. If you don't believe me ask any guy who was a grunt and could have been anything they wanted to in the Marines and they will tell you the same thing, PICK ANOTHER JOB.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Workin on pull ups?

Do 'em slooooooooow
5 count up, 5 count hanging, 5 count down.

Repeat until you fall off the bar.

Vary your hand grip as well.  

The standard is shoulder width apart, palms forward with thumbs on the same side of the bar as your fingers (hooked grip rather than a grasp)

Shift grip to narrow, a couple inches apart

Shift grip to wider than shoulder width apart (a few hand-widths out from each shoulder).

Mountain climbers: grasp the bar close together, with palms facing in opposite directions.  The bar will be parallel to your line of sight and perpendicular to our shoulders.  Execute exercise pulling up to touch alternating shoulders.

Do some chin ups for more bi-cep involvement (chins ups are with thumbs wrapped around bar and palms facing toward you.

Always execute the pull up or the chin up from a dead hang with arms fully straightened, everything else is cheating.

Do pull ups in manageable sets say you start with a set of 5.

Do 5 pull up, then get off the bar and knock out 20 push ups or so, flip over do a set of crunches, then hop up and knock out another 5 pull ups and repeat 5 times. Do not rest for more than 15-30 seconds between any exercise in the rotation.  Rest for no more than a minute between rotations.  If you can finish any exercise in the rotation (5 sets of reps) up the reps for that exercise by 5 until on the 3rd set you are feeling it, on the fourth you are having real trouble finishing the set and on the fifth you can't complete the set.   If you can complete the 5th set you ain't tryin' to smoke yourself hard enough.

once a week do a max effort workout.  Push yourself to muscle failure in straight sets of regulation pull ups, sit ups (or are crunches the current standard) and run your A$$ off for 3 miles. I would also recommend you get in some pool time and swim. There are few exercises that build cardio faster than swimming.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top