Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 2:39:33 PM EDT

The police inquiry into the background and personality of applicants for a gun licence, for instance, often consists of little more than a search for previous convictions.

The psychological tests that are meant to be part of the investigation are regularly overlooked, along with the requirement to question the candidate’s family and friends.
View Quote

heck?

Psychological tests?  Only a search for previous convictions?[rolleyes]

Are these people insane?  Is a Psychological Evaluation supposed to uncover possible felony's that an individual had the opportunity to commit?

This is the real world folks, bad things sometimes happen - people deserve freedom, they should enjoy it, those that screw up should be harshly punished - end of story.

Any thoughts?

Ryan
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed, but when I applied for my firearms license a background check was done on criminal past only. But if I ever was commited by judge to a psychiatric hospital it would have shown up also and would have counted in the decision.

Someone made a booboo when they checked this guy's background...but it's probably the gunowners who will bleed for that mistake. So far the media have been fairly mild, but don't count out the polichickens close before election time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The psych tests are to enable the French to eliminate anyone with the potential for dangerous thoughts.  Such as admiring California wine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have thought that they would only ask one question: "Have you ever, while in possession of a firearm, attempted surrender?" A negative answer would be proof of a dangerously violent person (in the french view), and be grounds for denial.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
French Background Checks

Niw there checking to see if you are French?

R35
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would have thought that they would only ask one question: "Have you ever, while in possession of a firearm, attempted surrender?" A negative answer would be proof of a dangerously violent person (in the french view), and be grounds for denial.
View Quote

Multiple Choice Test, "A big bad guy jumps out behind a tree and demands your money and your girlfriend, how do you react?

[] You draw your Manurhin 9mm Para Revolver and hiss "Come get some!"

[]"Yelp!"

[] You retreat to Britain and ask Americans for help.

[] You make a snide remark about how all the criminal Algerians in the country are somehow America's fault

[] Alors, c'est la vie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top