Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2002 11:55:45 AM EDT
I'm about to go talk to an Idaho Nat'l Guard recruiter about enlisting as a 19K. Any armor guys here who can tell me how they like the job? Do all M1's have depleted uranium armor? If so, is it a health concern? -kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:03:26 PM EDT
Kill-9, Send me an email with whatever questions you want answered. I've been a tanker (M60A3, M1, M1A1, M1A2) and cavalry scout for a long, LONG time. If I can't answer your questions, I'll field them to one of my 19K's. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that it's the BEST JOB in the US ARMY! While not every M1 has DU Armor, the one's that do aren't a health hazard - in combat, quite the contrary! I suppose you're signing up with the 116th AR BDE? Good unit! Good luck to you, and always remember the motto of the Armored Force: "Forge the Thunderbolt!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:23:21 PM EDT
As a former tanker myself, I'd personally recommend pursuing an MOS that might be of some value outside of the military.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:35:25 PM EDT
Thanks Boomer, but I should give a little bit of context. I'm a professional software developer. My military service is strictly a patriotic "extracurricular" activity. I spent 11 years in the Ohio Guard, mostly in combat MOS's, but got out when it was no longer fun. I think you get the idea... -kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:46:25 PM EDT
Being a tanker is hard, dirty work. Most of your time is spent maintaining or repairing the beast. Break a torsion bar or throw a track and the fun-factor drops precipitously. What's the shortest term the Guard will allow to hitch up for these days?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:59:24 PM EDT
Being prior service, I'm given the option of signing up for a single year. -kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:05:49 PM EDT
They still do the "Try 1", huh? In that case, I'd give it a year before jumping in with both feet for a long term commitment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:57:26 PM EDT
As boomer said it can be heavy work. Upside is there is nothing like shooting the big bullets. There is maint. and repair to do but a good crew will work together on this to ease the load. I can't compare driving anything to an M1.I would not trade my time in 60's or M1's for anything. I went through Fort Knox at 32 years old, so almost anyone can do it w/right attitude. Email me and we'll talk.
Top Top