Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 11:55:45 AM EDT
I'm about to go talk to an Idaho Nat'l Guard recruiter about enlisting as a 19K.  Any armor guys here who can tell me how they like the job?  Do all M1's have depleted uranium armor?  If so, is it a health concern?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill-9,

Send me an email with whatever questions you want answered.  I've been a tanker (M60A3, M1, M1A1, M1A2) and cavalry scout for a long, LONG time.
If I can't answer your questions, I'll field them to one of my 19K's.

One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that it's the BEST JOB in the US ARMY!  While not every M1 has DU Armor, the one's that do aren't a health hazard - in combat, quite the contrary!

I suppose you're signing up with the 116th AR BDE?  Good unit!

Good luck to you, and always remember the motto of the Armored Force: "Forge the Thunderbolt!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
As a former tanker myself, I'd personally recommend pursuing an MOS that might be of some value outside of the military.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Boomer, but I should give a little bit of context.  I'm a professional software developer.  My military service is strictly a patriotic "extracurricular" activity.  I spent 11 years in the Ohio Guard, mostly in combat MOS's, but got out when it was no longer fun.  I think you get the idea...

-kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Being a tanker is hard, dirty work. Most of your time is spent maintaining or repairing the beast. Break a torsion bar or throw a track and the fun-factor drops precipitously. What's the shortest term the Guard will allow to hitch up for these days?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Being prior service, I'm given the option of signing up for a single year.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
They still do the "Try 1", huh? In that case, I'd give it a year before jumping in with both feet for a long term commitment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
As boomer said it can be heavy work. Upside is there is nothing like shooting the big bullets. There is maint. and repair to do but a good crew will work together on this to ease the load. I can't compare driving anything to an M1.I would not trade my time in 60's or M1's for anything. I went through Fort Knox at 32 years old, so almost anyone can do it w/right attitude. Email me and we'll talk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top