Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 8:10:37 PM EDT
Isn't it funny where the world is going? You people remember the days when anyone could own a machine gun, there where never shootings at schools, people knew their neighbors, people almost never got a divorce, hunting was like any other sport, people where proud of their country, men married women and had children, life was simple.

Now kids are blowing each others brains out, machine guns are all but illegal, everyone is gay or bi-sexual, almost no one is "American" or "Canadian" they are always hyphenated something, no one takes time from their lives anymore to know who the Hell is living on this planet other then themselves, and you can say whatever you want unless you hurt someone's feelings, in that case you get fined and put in jail.

What has happened? This is just like Rome before its fall. Dreams of freedom are now over shadowed by the dreams of reparations for slavery. Everyone is equal but some more then others.

The Roman empire was around for a lot longer then any of our governments, and yet what took them centuries, has takes us decades.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
you know whats sad, when i start looking for a wife (still a long way off since i am still 17), i will have to make sure she does not have any STDs, make sure she wasnt a guy once in her life, and make sure she was never a lesbo.  further more, when i get married, people will prob think its odd that i would marry a person of the other sex.  i guess owning machineguns was before my time.  although going to public school, i am sure i am perfectly trained to use one!  [50]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Scarecrow, by any chance, have you read "MiG Pilot"?
If you want to know how much worse it can get, read that book.
View Quote

could you tell me more about this book Doublefeed?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say Russia is pretty bad off and I know what you are talking about as far as things being worse. SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING??? WE HAVE A LOT FARTHER TO GO??? WILL THAT TIME COME WHEN WE CAN NO LONGER OWN PROPERTY AND ARE WAITING IN GRUEL LINES  AND RECIEVING OUR RATIONS OF ROTTEN LINSEED OIL AND A LOAF OF BREAD FOR THE WEEK AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE RUNNING THE COUNTRY?? AND HAVE OUTLAWED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THEIR OWN POWER AND WE GO HOME AND MIX OUR PEANUT HULLS WITH GLUE AND EAT THAT AND LET OUR CHILDREN HAVE THE BREAD.  

Yes fight for it now before it is too late.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep telling myself we have a long way to go to get to the bottom, but we're definitely on the way down.  Enjoy the ride!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
BAN RAP Music for the children!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
lol....hey good point!!!!!![sex][sex][sex[sex]]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know, things just haven't been the same since the worst school massacre.  Of course, I'm referring to the one in Wisconsin that killed 38 students--in 1937.  The janitor did it with a bomb.  To hell in a handbasket, I tell ya.  [}:D]

Things have always been exactly the same.  This evening we heard of a massacre that occurred in Paris, France.  The rapid transfer of information is the only thing that has changed.  
View Quote

Amen!

Funny people forget about that school bombing. Even back then in the days of "slow" communication, that still made the front page of most of the big city papers... Yet people did not jump to the conclusion that this incident, or any one single incident, "said" anything about society. They only paid attention if there was a number of similar incidents that suggested a pattern.

Of course being in the 8th year of the Great Depression had a tendancy to make most people stoic about a whole lot of things...

And I see that schools in Canada are as bad as the ones here in the US, still refering to the "fall" of the Roman Empire like in Gibbons "Rise and Fall of..". The Roman Empire lasted over 1500 years, its "fall" only began on the eve of the First Crusade in the 11th century. The last Roman Emperor died fighting Muslims in the streets of Constantanople only 40 years before Columbus came to the new world.

The United States is just 226 years old, the Roman Republic lasted for more than twice as long as the United States has been around. And the Republic only lasted 1/3rd as long as the Empire. Now if you want to worry about something, compare how much we are becoming like England, which had the biggest empire the world has ever known- but had it for less than 200 years... Except that we are not becoming very much like England, in spite of Bill Clintons best efforts to the contrary.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Who said this?

Our youth now loves luxury, they have bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect for older people, children nowadays are tyrants... they contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
View Quote

~Socrates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Isn't it funny where the world is going? You people remember the days when anyone could own a machine gun, there where never shootings at schools, people knew their neighbors, people almost never got a divorce, hunting was like any other sport, people where proud of their country, men married women and had children, life was simple.
View Quote

I remember a day when kids were forced to work in sweat shops here in the US for pennies just to help their families survive.
I remember a day when the police winked at men who knocked their wives around.  
I remember a day when there were huge race riots in this country that dwarfed the LA Riot in intensity and happened in many cities.
I remember a day when unrestrained hunting and trapping very nearly drove many species into extinction.
I remember a day when a woman COULDN'T divorce a man because there was no way she could get a job that made enough to support herself if she did.
I DON'T remember a day when political corruption wasn't the norm, all the way back to the first Stone Age cities.
I DON'T remember a day when humans didn't have among them criminals, the violent or the abusive.

We think our problems are worse because they are ours.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our youth now loves luxury, they have bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect for older people, children nowadays are tyrants... they contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
~Socrates.
View Quote

"The budget should be balanced.  Public debt should be reduced.  The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered, and assistanceship to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt."---Cicero, 63 B.C.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Just because things are better then they use to be does that mean its time to give up and be happy with the way things are? There is always space for improvement and its thanks to complaining people like me that kids don't have to work in sweat shops for pennies and that women can vote.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
~Socrates.
View Quote

"The budget should be balanced.  Public debt should be reduced.  The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered, and assistanceship to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt."---Cicero, 63 B.C.
View Quote

"Being wise is what you say, not who you quote."---Scarecrow, 2002 A.D.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
~Socrates.
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

LOL! How true. That's probably the most insightful statement I've yet heard you utter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Except that we are not becoming very much like England, in spite of Bill Clintons best efforts to the contrary.
View Quote

Yet...

We only need a few elections to go "wrong", and this nation will be right up there with the British.  All the same elements are present and at work here also.

I remember a day when kids were forced to work in sweat shops here in the US for pennies just to help their families survive.
View Quote

Yeah, most of those type jobs are off shore in China now...  Mom and Dad now work fulltime to support their "improved" standard of living.[IMG]http://216.40.201.240/s/contrib/ruinkai/rolleyea.gif[/IMG]

I remember a day when the police winked at men who knocked their wives around.
View Quote

Yeah, now raise your voice to your wife and you are in jail for domestic violence. Much better now...[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rolleyes2.gif[/img]

I remember a day when there were huge race riots in this country that dwarfed the LA Riot in intensity and happened in many cities.
View Quote

Let the government checks stop coming every month and see how long before that comes back![IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/otn/angry/ticking.gif[/IMG]

I remember a day when unrestrained hunting and trapping very nearly drove many species into extinction.
View Quote

Now mountain lions can eat people and "we must protect the species"...the lions that is...[IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/ups/kiss_my_ass/ouch.gif[/IMG]

I remember a day when a woman COULDN'T divorce a man because there was no way she could get a job that made enough to support herself if she did.
View Quote

Now divorce is so common and accepted, we watch a TV show where people get divorced in 30 minutes, with commercials! [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/boohoo.gif[/img]

I DON'T remember a day when political corruption wasn't the norm, all the way back to the first Stone Age cities.
View Quote

Now we watch a president on TV lie straight to our faces and don't run him out of office instantly.  We sure have improved in that area also.[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sardonic.gif[/img]

I DON'T remember a day when humans didn't have among them criminals, the violent or the abusive.
View Quote

Now we have mothers drowning their children and people are on TV telling us we "must understand her problems".[IMG]http://216.40.198.77/mysmilies/s/ups/kiss_my_ass/mad.gif[/IMG]

We think our problems are worse because they are ours.
View Quote

Maybe the problems are the same, but our reaction to them has sure changed...

[IMG]http://216.40.201.240/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#19]
So very well said platform389. Nothing further.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]
There's a good book called "The Way We Never Were" by Stephanie Coontz that covers this subject about American Families and the Nostalgia Trap. It's ISBN number is 0-465-09097-4 if you want to see if you can find a copy. I think it was printed in 92.

It really blows out of the water a lot of myths and half-truths about our "family values" and better times way back when.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]

It can get worse, but while you are fighting it, don't forget to be thankful for what you have now.
View Quote

Very well said....and yes, I read the book. He didn't know if he did the right thing, he has so many unanswered questions in his mind....And then he saw the light, the truth, and the answers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You know, things just haven't been the same since the worst school massacre.  Of course, I'm referring to the one in Wisconsin that killed 38 students--in 1937.  The janitor did it with a bomb.  To hell in a handbasket, I tell ya.  [}:D]
View Quote

Sorry, that isn't the worst.

[url=http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~bauerle/bathlink.htm]Bath MI school bombing[/url]

Andrew Kehoe (45) The first mad bomber in U.S. soil, on May 18, 1927, Andy blew up a school in Bath, Michigan, [b]killing 45 people, 37 of them children.[/b] After detonating explosives he planted under the school, "maniac bomber" Andrew Kehoe, a school board member and treasurer and farmer, blew up his pickup truck, killing himself and the Bath School superintendent.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just because things are better then they use to be does that mean its time to give up and be happy with the way things are?
View Quote

Of course that's not anywhere near the point I was trying to make, as you would well know if you thought about it for more than two seconds.  Your original post was that things were going to hell and were so much worse now than they used to be.  I was correcting that misperception.  Feel free to try to make things better, only know that you'll never make them PERFECT.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Not trying to bust your chops, I just figured you hadn't heard of Bath.  My wife grew up there, that's how I knew about it.

Both stories prove the point - [b]It's NOT the guns stupid, it's the bad guys![/b]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yet again you show a wonderful talent for missing the point.
The point was that the problems we have now that seem so modern are very very ancient.
Perhaps you need to read twice and think three times before you post once.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So very well said platform389. Nothing further.
View Quote

Actually, it was not that well said.  He did nothing to counter the points I made, merely lamenting the worst parts of the good things we have.
Sure, it ain't perfect. Nothing ever is, because we have the handicap of having to work with these imperfect, emotional, illogical things called HUMANS.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top