Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 2:58:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I took my ten year old son to Black Hawk Down.  He saw trailers and asked to go.  But not without me seeing it alone first and talking with the wife and him about it AT LENGTH first.

Wife did not want to go (she read the book first tho'), but he seems to have done fine.  I was watching him more than the movie.  Sat with my arm around him and asked if he was OK with what he was seeing.  Explained a few things as the movie went along and he of course was "OK Dad, watch the movie".

Talked to him for a week after the movie and he doesn't seem to have any problems.  Still felt I was pushing the envelope with him.  But he's a shooter, makes good grades (going to the Math Olympics) and is pretty well centered.

**Edited to add I'm a lot more concerned about the long-term effects of Disney-type trash movies with their PC story, theme, plot and associated advertising.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
There were a bunch of kids in a Blade II showing I attended.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw Resident Evil friday night. Lots of little kids. I couldnt see their reactions because it was to dark, but i'm pretty sure they were scared because they all had sad faces and kinda looked down and shuffled out of the theater.
btw, the movie sucked. None of the characters knew how to handle their weapons. Only good part was the hot chicks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I sat next to four kids and their father in the SouthPark movie - louder, uncut, etc. etc.  The movie was basically an attempt at the number of f-words you could put into a sentence while making obnoxious noises.  Don't get me wrong - I thought it was funny (you have to be in a mood), but would NEVER think of taking kids to it.  This was all during a school day, of course.  

While in the bathroom afterwards, the dad was telling the kids they had to tell their mom they went shopping.  What a great dad :(.  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dad and I went to Lord of the Rings. There was a complete family of 4 with the boys aged around 6 and 8. During the beheading scene (can't remember details of the scene because I was so disturbed) one of them giggled out loud when the head went flying.

I wanted to say something to the parents but knew I would just come off as an ass, let it go.

Lord of the rings is not for young kids.

-elliott

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
From time to time i will see children in R rated movies.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a young couple that brought their infant in to Blackhawk Down. [b]HEY PEOPLE...WTF ARE YOU THINKING[/b]

I'm always seeing youngsters in R rated movies.

I don't remember if I've ever taken my daughter (13) to any R rated movies but we do rent them every so often. But only after I've seen and approved them.

Somehow I let her see Blade. She loves it, doesn't bother her a bit. And she really likes Michelle and Romy's High School Reunion. Cute but they use the F-word in about everyother sentence. But so does her mother. [rolleyes] So what's the diff?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I was going--alone--to R-rated movies when I Was 10 years old.  It doesn't seem to have done me any harm.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was going--alone--to R-rated movies when I Was 10 years old.  It doesn't seem to have done me any harm.
View Quote

Define HARM.  Physical or mental?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I see kids in the theatre watching R-rated films all of the time. I myself, will preview an R-rated film, and decide if it is okay for my kids to watch (ages 6 & 12).

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen was a woman taking her three kids, ranging in age from 3 to about 12 to Pulp Fiction.  Bugged the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Man are you some kind of freak pedophile asshole or something, watching little kids in nasty movies!

LOL Just joking. I don't go to many movies but now that you mention it, no I don't see many small kids in R rated movies. Are there any movies that aren't R rated these days?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I was the little kid in R rated movies
but I was taught that movies and tv are fake
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Two movies that changed me forever...

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Saw it on cable when I was about 11. TOTALLY messed me up. It had never even occured to me that people like that existed. Most dramatic impact were the subtle things. When the girl was tied to a chair that had humn arms for chair arms complete with hands. I made the mistake of totally identifying with the main character which put me in a victims perspective.

Long term effect - I learned the world wan't the rosy fairy land I had been led to believe it was. This led me to learn I was ultimitely responsible for my safety and well being. This led me to the conclusion that my survival may come down to my wits and skills. This led me to take measures and aquire the skills I may never need, but sure as hell better have. I wonder if any of Danny Rollins victims would have been saved by seeing that movie.

2. The Exorcists - Saw this one in a theater. I was 13 and my girlfriends older sister got us in at the midnight movie. This movie completely scared the shit out of me. Of course I had to pretend it didn't, I was with girls. Worst part of this movie was walking home from my girlfriends house around 2:30 am. Every bush that blew aged me 6 months. Slept with the lights on for days. Also slept with a sword by my side, I was pretty sure a gun couldn't kill the devil.

Long term effect - Realized it was all bullshit. And if possession and the devil are bullshit, then a LOT of other related crap is bullshit. Was able to offload a TON of mental garbage in the form of superstitions and ridiculous beliefs that I was having a hard time reconciling with reality.

Chainsaw still weirds me out though. The only good thing is when I see it today I mentally run down how I'd take them assholes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was 8 or 9 it is scared me to death.  I was always listening for the zombies trying to break into my house.  I scared me for years.  Now I just look at my AR in the corner and know that I will be one of the guy rounding them up and burning them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw Scary Movie in the theater (big mistake - it was awful).  There were parents with 7-year-olds.  This disturbed me more than the movie.  For those who don't know, this movie has about 10,000 curse words, full frontal male nudity, and graphic sexual humor.

I can understand bringing a kid to a movie they begged to see, and then hauling their butt outa there once I saw what kind of movie it was, but they stayed through the whole movie.  I would have loved to slap some of these parents around.  What were they THINKING?  Nothing, I know, I know.... [V]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen was a woman taking her three kids, ranging in age from 3 to about 12 to Pulp Fiction.  Bugged the hell out of me.
View Quote

"One of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen was a woman taking her three [s]kids[/s]guns, ranging in [s]age[/s]capacity from 3 to about 12 to [s]Pulp Fiction[/s]a range.  Bugged the hell out of me"

Hummm....So its ok for you to presume to know whats best for these people? But they cannot  presume to tell you what you can do with your guns?

Granted I dont like the idea much myself, but it pisses me off when people tell me I shouldnt have guns around my kids. (Or try to tell me how to raise them in general}.

R35
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#21]
(whispering)
    Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#22]
My boys bugged to see Super Troopers (no comment) so I sent my 17 year old to get the tickets early, wife and I were at work, so we could catch dinner before the movie. He came back without the tickets. The box office girl said although she could sell him one ticket, if he went right in, she couldn't sell him 4. I went in after work, with son in tow, and asked same girl for 4 tickets. She asked me if I was going right in. After a brief discussion I realized I was going no place with her, I asked to see the manager. He told me it was a policy since the klinto era to protect children from foul launguage etc. Huh? You mean "steam clean the oval office carpets klinton?" Of course rant mode was on. Left theater, went to another theater, there it was, bold print, one ticket per 17 year old. Period. Ok. wife and I buy 4 tickets, no problem. Half way through the movie, a group of 11-14 year olds (just guessing) snuck out of Disney and into the R rated movie. Right in front of the manager. When questioned about the policy he just shrugged it off, no reply.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"One of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen was a woman taking her three [s]kids[/s]guns, ranging in [s]age[/s]capacity from 3 to about 12 to [s]Pulp Fiction[/s]a range.  Bugged the hell out of me"

Hummm....So its ok for you to presume to know whats best for these people? But they cannot  presume to tell you what you can do with your guns?

Granted I dont like the idea much myself, but it pisses me off when people tell me I shouldnt have guns around my kids. (Or try to tell me how to raise them in general}.

R35
View Quote

Your analogy is not apt, given that I never advocated outlawing her right to bring her kids to that movie.  I have every right to think something is irresponsible without thinking it should be outlawed.  And frankly, your comparison was not only inapt but totally idiotic.  Shooting won't harm kids...seeing Pulp Fiction at ages 3 and (it looked like) 7 might.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Not that this movie was scary, but I saw a bunch of little kids of all ages, at the South Park Movie. I thought this movie was totally inappropriate for little kids, but parents ignored the ratings and brought them in anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

R35
View Quote

Bring out the gimp!
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#26]
My problem with the whole thing is that the entertainment industry screams to get guns banned "for the children" while at the same time pumping out and marketing movies to kids that are full of stylized gratuitous sex, violence, and drug use.  Then, any time anyone mentions any types of stricter controls, etc., they bitch and moan about their first amendment rights being trampled.  While I am not advocating censorship, I do think that the entertainment industry should be held to a higher standard.  How many theatres actually enforce the age restrictions on movies?  The few mentioned here I think are the exception and not the rule.  It is in their best interest to let kids into R rated movies.  

I think if you are going to take your kids to an R rated movie, you better sit down and have a talk with them before and after the movie to explain to them the moral significance and implications of what happened in the movie.  If you continue to let them see movies where sex and violence are glorified and have no repercussions, kids are going to develop the wrong ideas about those things.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

R35
View Quote

Your analogy is not apt, given that I never advocated outlawing her right to bring her kids to that movie.  I have every right to think something is irresponsible without thinking it should be outlawed.  And frankly, your comparison was not only inapt but totally idiotic.  Shooting won't harm kids...seeing Pulp Fiction at ages 3 and (it looked like) 7 might.
View Quote

My 6mo son went with us to see "Mummy Returns"....He slept through all of it except the first and last 15 min. Then he was having a ball because of all the excitment on the screen.

Sorry I was not trying to single you out , just used your post as "The" exampel. The same words can be used to bad mouth anyone in what they are doing.

Its the I dont aproove so it shouldnt be, that gets me P.O.ed. What qulifies you to judge that behavior irresponsible?

I never said to outlaw guns.

R35

8^
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Scroll down to the last story on the page to read about a woman arrested for assaulting the parent of a  2-year-old who brought the child to R-rated "Panic Room".  (May be only loosely related to this thread, but I thought that I might chime in.)

Only in the People's Republic of Boulder?

[url]http://www.thedailycamera.com/news/local/03lcops.html[/url]

Found out how to activate the links, I think.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Leave it to the government to * reek * of hypocrisy when it comes to makeing these sort of movies!

-- Yeah! Let's ban guns, but at the same time, why don't we make it OK for people to be shown using them for wanton acts of destruction! It cannot possibly effect anyone! Why don't they use drugs too? And get abortions after having being ultra-promiscueus? Life has no consequences! --

Gee. I can't remember the last time I used my AR-15 to off someone execution style while I puffed away at a big fat joint.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#30]
The 'R' movies I'll NEVER forget seeing as child
were:

1.JAWS.
REALLY freaked me out.I STILL stay the hell out of the oceans to this day.Piss on the sharks.Not the good stuff.Bad dreams for a LONG
time.
2.Friday the 13th Part 1
 I slept w/ligths on for MONTHS,looked behind EVERY door as I entered a room, looking for "Jason".Not the ggod stuff either.
3.Omen (1st one)
I Had bad dreams for weeks.That kid was evil.I wanted to blow him away with my daddy's shotgun(thought it would have done the trick)lol
4.Texas Chainsaw Massacre(sp)
 Leatherface wasn't as bad as his brother
 who had the plate in his head and used a coat hanger to pick skin off his scalp and eat it.
(reminded me of the kids in school that ate thier buggers)YUCK!lolThe brother is the one who gave me the nightmares.Not the good stuff.
4.Phantasm (1st one)
 The tall man couldn't be stopped!I Had alot of
bad dreams cause of him.The midgets were creepy too.Not the good stuff.

Everythings cool now that I'm grown up.(LOL)
If I start having "bad dreams",I turn them into
"good dreams" by thinking of my AR-15 and
having a good nights sleep.Good self-therapy.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]
VA-gunnut wrote:
I have no problems with movies that are reality based and show the consequences of violence, both positive and negative forms.
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 6mo son went with us to see "Mummy Returns"....He slept through all of it except the first and last 15 min. Then he was having a ball because of all the excitment on the screen.
View Quote

A six month old infant is young enough to not really understand the words or what is happening on the screen.  The 3 and 7 year olds in question WERE old enough to understand.

What qulifies you to judge that behavior irresponsible?
View Quote

Being a parent myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Define HARM.  Physical or mental?
View Quote

Take your pick.  I don't believe it did either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top