Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 3:54:06 AM EDT
Stopped at Office Depot to have my DL copied so I could order powder from a different distributor.  Girl says we can't do that since 9/11.  I asked (politely, since she didn't come up with this brainstorm) if that would pass the logic test since, if I were a well funded terroist, I could buy state of the art equipment and make a better license than the highway department.  As I'm leaving she says, "Office Max next door will copy it for you."  

I'm still chuckling.

Eddie
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazing logic, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't have anything to do with 9-11-01. If you'll have a look at around, somewhere around there should be flyer posted, explaining the reasons and such: you can't make 1/1 color copies of anything money or equal to money (money, stock coupons and certificates, stamps, monthly bus tickets, etc), you can't make 1/1 color copies of any forms of gopherment issued ID, and, if you're attempting to make copies of a book or the like, you'll have to have a form signed by the author that he aggrees to your making copies of it. Ditto photos made by a pro photostudio (if you have Tom, Dick, Harry and Associates take pics of your wedding, THEY own the copyright!), or pretty much anything else.
Something to do with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), if I remember correctly.
Again, has nothing to do with 9-11-01.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

You may want to explain that to the management of Office Depot. The only "flyer" I was shown referenced 9/11.

Eddie
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been in the copier repair business for several years. I have seen stickers with a list of things prohibited from photocopying on machines at least 5 years BEFORE 9/11.

Pretty standard list of items.  Company can get in trouble for such business.  Sure the higher-ups decided to add the 9/11 stuff to the already existing info to make the employees & customers take more heed to it.

Before, most people didnt even read the list stuck on the machines....
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may want to explain that to the management of Office Depot. The only "flyer" I was shown referenced 9/11.

Eddie
View Quote

Me? I don't care :) For smaller things, I have a scanner and a color printer, and if I have to make multiple copies of something, I usually own the copyright on them myself.
There are also coin-operated copiers at many 7-11 stores, in case you don't want to deal with the Office Depot jerks^H^H^H clerks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top