Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 4:59:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
East Tennessee (around Knoxville) is wonderful. The further West you go, the worse it becomes. I live in Memphis, which is pitiful. Nashville is a much better area and Knoxville is the best. Tennessee is gun-friendly and a CCW is fairly easy to obtain. You must take a firearms class and qualify (1 8 hour day or 2 4 hour nights) which usually costs $75.00 to $100.00. You then go to a Drivers License Testing Center to be fingerprinted, photographed and pay another $110.00. Then, within 90 days, a carry permit will be issued to qualified law-abiding citizens. The permit looks almost identical to our drivers license. Total cost is usually about $200.00 and the permit is good for 4 years. It costs $50.00 to renew it. I'm not too familiar with class 3 stuff, but it is definitely allowed.
The Knoxville area is pretty safe, a completely different world than Memphis. You will not see much snow, maybe a few times a year with not much accumulation. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend East Tennessee, but would never recommend West Tennessee. Hope this helps. Shane  
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto ShootinShane: Memphis sucks, East TN is good. I went to UT Knoxville, spent 5 years in East TN, now live in Memphis :(

Carry permits are easily obtained here (compared to some other states)

East TN is made up of white, country types. Guns abound. Lots of hunting fishing in TN. There are a lot of really nice lake areas in E. TN. I think they'll like it! Norris lake is a pretty big lake in that area. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Im here in knoxville and i wouldnt live anywhere else in the state we've got 6 major lakes in the area all good fishing. the permits are easy to obtain, we have 2 big gun shows every couple of months im going tomarrow to one. the mountains are about 45 min from town i live out in the county. folks are generly pretty friendly. plenty of ranges. norris actually has a nice range a 250yrd rifle and a pistol range u get a key for 12 bucks a year. pretty good. ober gatlinberg has skiing most of the winter its not the best skiing but if u can ski there u can ski anywhere. u can e mail me if u have any other questions or just post it here.memphis is not east tn by a long shot. i dont even like  to drive through there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
1.) Are people there as friendly as in TX, MO, or (Nicer parts of) MN?
View Quote

Stay east of Knoxville, and you're golden.  Lots of nice people west of there, but once you get near any of the larger cities, all bets are off.

2.) What are the gun laws?
View Quote

Not too bad.  We're not the best in the country, but our laws are (mostly) fair.  Active state RKBA organization working to change them for the better, as well.  See [url]http://www.tennesseefirearms.com[/url] for a good primer.

3.) Is there CCW Shall Issue?
View Quote

Yes.  Requires safety/legal class and background check.  Fee is rather high ($115 initial application.  Permit good for four years.  Renewal fee is $50, also good for four years.)  Turnaround time is generally 90 days.  Permit is one of the best to have in the country for reciprocity.

4.) What Class 3 (Silencer/FullAuto) laws are there?
View Quote

They mirror federal laws, for the most part.  A state crime to possess any non-registered NFA weapon.  CLEOs vary according to area, though I don't know anyone in east TN that has been denied by their county sheriff.

5.) Any good shooting ranges in that area?
View Quote

Lots.  Ask around once you're sure of the exact location you're moving to.

6.) Is it safe there?
View Quote

Again, depends on the area.  Crime is higher in the cities (isn't it always) but below the national average.  Outside the cities, it's a generally safe area.

7.) What is the climate like in the winter & in the summer? (Is there snow? I LOVE SNOW)
View Quote

The snow has stuck twice this year, and we've not seen more than an inch on the ground.  Generally warm to hot summers, and mild winters.  On the other hand, sometimes it snows weekly in the winters.

My gut feeling is you'll like the place, and so will your folks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
More unsolicited free advice (and you're gettting exactly what you paid for! [:)] )

You gotta ask yourself: who's life is it anyway?  

Surviving in the real world of jobs, cars, wives and kids, mortgage payments and such is a lot harder than surviving in the wilderness.  But, if you take the same attitude as you do to getting along out in the middle of nowhere, you might just make it!

Change is good! [:D]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top