Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2002 3:56:44 PM EDT
The damn thing leaks oil like a damned spaghetti strainer... I've seen some stop leak products, and wonder if these work. I would like to try one of these first, and then take it to the garage if that doesn't work. Any advice?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:03:05 PM EDT
Buy a Ford! [;)] [flamesuit on] [beer]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:06:52 PM EDT
Stop putting oil in and it will stop leaking. LOL It may be something easy like a valve cover gasket. Where is the oil leaking from? (Top of engine, side bottom, or all). If you can't tell take it to the car wash and clean the engine and observe over several days. Don't use the stop leak or that STP crap. My experience has been that this stuff causes a lot of carbon build up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:09:18 PM EDT
Yeah buy a ford and then the oil leak will be the least of your problems. find out where its leaking from maybe degrease the engine compartment it could be something really simple...or not. I would try to find the real problem not put in some auto fix it crap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:12:40 PM EDT
I must agree with everyones opinion on the old liquid tune-up in a bottle, stay away from it. Get some Simple Green and degrease the motor and find where the leak is from then you will have a better idea what you are up against. [beer]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:33:06 PM EDT
on the bright side, she never needs an oil change! I think I'll check it out for myself, and then get back with you guys. The leak appears to be coming from the oil pan area, directly underneath the engine
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:44:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:21:41 PM EDT
I don't have the tools or the time to play with it here... how much am I lookin at here?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:23:29 PM EDT
Instead of topping off your leaks with new oil, top them off with cat litter. Eventually it should stop leaking. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:05:09 PM EDT
rear crank seal, 150 ,to 200 sounds fair,if it is the seal use a fel pro seal with a sleeve for the crank
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2002 8:29:12 PM EDT by Steamy_Windows]
The oil pan bolts may need to be tightened. You could go to the library and get a auto repair manual that has your vehicle in it. It should give the bolt patern so you can tighten the oil pan bolts in the proper sequence. Don't come down on them hard or you will bend the pan out of shape and create more problems. I would just snug them up good and see if it stops the leak, if it still leaked after snugging the pan bolts, I would take in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:38:44 PM EDT
It could be the oil cooler adapter above the oil filter. There is a rubber o-ring that can crack and oil will drip down the back of the oil pan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:46:51 PM EDT
Take it to the local dealer, have them add some oil leak dye. Drive it for a few days, take it back in and have them check with a blacklight for the source of the leak, could be from, rear main seal, valve covers, intake manifold, head gasket, oil pan, timing cover, front crank seal, these are the main sources of oil leaks for most cars and trucks, the other possibility would be from a oil preassure sender for the dash guage. Being a Ford Service tech, these are the areas the we usually check for an oil leaks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:56:36 PM EDT
My 98 had two differant oil leaks. The front seal was leaking, dripping down onto the steering stabilizer shock (it's a 4x4). It was a warranty fix, so I can't give you the cost. Took the GM tech about two hours. The other leak was the oil pressure senser o-ring, which is on the top of the block, just behind the intake manifold. (mine's a 5.7 liter, or 350). It wasn't a bad leak, like you described...just enough to mess up the garage floor. The oil was dripping down both sides of the block. Just needed a new o-ring, but with 80,000 miles on it at the time, I replaced the sensor too, as long as I was pulling the old one off. Only took about 30 minutes. You could trade it in on a Ford... and lie in bed at night and listen to it rust.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:57:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Steamy_Windows: The oil pan bolts may need to be tightened. You could go to the library and get a auto repair manual that has your vehicle in it. It should give the bolt patern so you can tighten the oil pan bolts in the proper sequence. Don't come down on them hard or you will bend the pan out of shape and create more problems. I would just snug them up good and see if it stops the leak, if it still leaked after snugging the pan bolts, I would take in.
View Quote
Careful, you'd be surprised how little torque it takes to damage the oil pan.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:07:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Axel:
Originally Posted By Steamy_Windows: The oil pan bolts may need to be tightened. You could go to the library and get a auto repair manual that has your vehicle in it. It should give the bolt patern so you can tighten the oil pan bolts in the proper sequence. Don't come down on them hard or you will bend the pan out of shape and create more problems. I would just snug them up good and see if it stops the leak, if it still leaked after snugging the pan bolts, I would take in.
View Quote
Careful, you'd be surprised how little torque it takes to damage the oil pan.
View Quote
Yep, it's definitely 1/4"-drive territory, or better yet a long nutdriver. A 3/8"-drive palm ratchet would work as well. Another agreement on not using leak stoppers. If you just have seepage they'll work for a while, but they won't help with dripping. Get it up on ramps or jackstands so you can get under the vehicle, degrease it, and take it for a short drive. Park in a clean spot and crawl underneath with a strong light. If that doesn't find it, get it to a mechanic ASAP so he can check it out before the thing gets all grimy again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:14:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HighlandMac: Buy a Ford! [;)] [flamesuit on] [beer]
View Quote
HERE, HERE [:)>]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:50:05 AM EDT
They're all like that sir. :) Seriously, my '92 K2500 leaks too. Consider it a natural evolution to a total-loss oiling system. Mine takes about a liter of oil every 2-3 tanks of fuel. Just make sure that it's only motor oil that's leaking - leaking transmission oil can get expensive very quickly. If your motor oil leakage is serious, you might not be looking at much more $ to swap or rebuild engines instead of pulling the engine and just fixing all the leaks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:03:17 AM EDT
Buy a Ford, light it on fire. THAT should cure your oil leak.
Top Top