Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 1:13:37 PM EDT
The magnetic pole, which has steadily     drifted for decades, has picked up its pace     in recent years and could exit Canadian          territory as soon as 2004
View Quote

You fellas in Canada gotta DO something about this [rolleyes]

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/03/20/north.pole/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
OMG, that is friggin hilarious.

They forgot to pay their magnetic north bill I guess.  I guess opening a compass store there is a bad idea.  Give it a few years, and I'll betcha you can get some cheap ass compasses from Canada.  They won't be able to test them for quality control, but they would be cheap nonetheless. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Will this affect navigation (isogonic lines and everything)?  I know the difference between true and magnetic north around here... it'd be a shame to have to keep rememorizing new numbers.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey if you where in Canada wouldnt you want out too?

Hmm gotta go hide now...[peep]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
so what can canada do, annex siberia?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, gotta keep buying new maps [>Q]

Maybe, eventually,  the compass needle with simply spin without stopping [shock]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't geological data show that the magnetic poles switch position every few million years?  

As long as the North Star doesn't start moving on us, I think we're ok.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE

They tacked it onto the tailend of some new laws making it illegal for it to leave without prior authority
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
This poor article avoids offering any scientific information and makes a abrupt turn towards tourist commerce and stupid human behavior. I wrote a letter earlier today to CNN commenting on Richard Stenger's coverage of the science related newsfront.
His article on the recent "killer-rock" near miss is equally amateur. He quotes that the Asteroid was slightly larger than the one that flattened a vast expanse of Siberia in 1908. Does he just make stuff up? Moron.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought that the Siberian event was a hunk off of a comet?

Did anyone else notice that the pole is heading to Russia??

Guess the States was not good enough for it either....I just wish it would take some of our Federal Politicos with it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought that the Siberian event was a hunk off of a comet?
View Quote

That is a popular theory, and there are alot of them. Comets are made up of ice and there was little to no physical evidence left at the explosion’s epi-center. It was logical to assume is was a piece of comet that entered the atmosphere and exploded leaving only water and gas.
There has been much controversy around the "Tunguska Event" in Siberia.
Some claim that "space-rock" dust was embedded in tree-bark near the epi-center, indicating that a meteor caused the event.
Some father-fetched theories involve anti-matter and alien spacecraft. The neatest one to me is that the explosion was a result of Nicola Tesla (who was at this time arguably insane) who recently discovered how to control and aim artificial lightning bolts. Nicola, under the funding of some rich guy (I forget) was building large lightning generators in NY and as an experiment shot a bolt towards Siberia.

The point is that all the facts are not present and it remains inconclusive what all really happened that day in Siberia.  Far, far, beyond determining the size of the object.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
It doesnt matter. It's a big red and white pole.
Looks like a candy cane without the curved part. Should be easy to find wherever it ends up.
BP
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If the poles DO switch, will our toilets start flushing the other way???
This could be devestating!!!

We [b]NEED[/b] to spend federal money on the effect this will have on our toilets!!

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Lets see Canada all but outlaws guns ,
Guns are made of steel '
Steel has magnetic properties .
I know ! The pole is following the guns
on their great migration to a land where
they'll be appreciated , love and cherished !
[bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote from co-worker:

I believe it is closer to every 40,000 years. The poles even dissappear during the interim. This disappearance is bad because the earth's magnetic field is our umbrella to keep out high-speed charged particles from outer space (by F=qV x B).  
Of course, this is nothing compared to what the Sun does.  Being a gas, its magnetic poles swap locations every 11 years or so...  Every 22 years, the alignment is such that it plays havoc with the Canadian power grid during solar events.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe the current thinking is that the "Tunguska Event" in Siberia was not an impact event but an "air burst" event as in a meteor or comet or comet fragmet vaporizing, i.e., exploding some miles above the surface.  There is no crater per se, just a lot of surface damage for miles on end.

I think the only effect of a pole reversal would be a windfall for compass manufacturers. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I believe the current thinking is that the "Tunguska Event" in Siberia was not an impact event but an "air burst" event as in a meteor or comet or comet fragmet vaporizing, i.e., exploding some miles above the surface.  There is no crater per se, just a lot of surface damage for miles on end.

I think the only effect of a pole reversal would be a windfall for compass manufacturers. [;)]
View Quote

I agree no impact, no crater. A stone meteor might fragment from the enormous mechanical shock of slamming into the atmosphere and break into smaller chuncks that explode due to simular forces and friction before impact.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the poles DO switch, will our toilets start flushing the other way???
This could be devestating!!!

We [b]NEED[/b] to spend federal money on the effect this will have on our toilets!!

[smoke]
View Quote

The OTHER WAY?[:O]

Ummm, which way are the supposed to be swirling now?
[peep]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#23]
No need to fret about the toilet spin. This is called the coriellis (sp?) effect and is caused by the earths rotation on its axis. Now if THAT changes we will really have something to worry about! :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quote from co-worker:
I believe it is closer to every 40,000 years.
View Quote

There are figures all over the place.  Some say 100,000 to 300,000 years, some 50,000- 100,000.  

Some reversals seem to be as little as 10,000 years apart.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As long as the North Star doesn't start moving on us, I think we're ok.
View Quote

Uh . . . it does.  The Earth's axis of revolution precesses.

We're totally fvcked!!!!!! [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quote from co-worker:
View Quote

There are figures all over the place.  Some say 100,000 to 300,000 years, some 50,000- 100,000.  
View Quote

how can that be? everyone knows the earth was created 8,000 years ago! WTF?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quote from co-worker:
View Quote

View Quote

We're well over due. I think that when it occurs there could be major climactic changes, increased geophysical activity. It would not affect the Coriolis effect which is due to the Earth's rotation, as noted.
Other interesting results of the Coriolis effect, FWIW, are the rotation of weather phenomena such as tornadoes, hurricanes, pressure fronts; rotation of toilet water; the sinusoidal path that orbiting satellites, spacecraft and airplanes take. These are counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere if memory serves me correctly. If in doubt look in your toilet!

I'm not sure if I've spelt Coriolis correctly either but I'll find out and edit appropriately.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if I've spelt Coriallis correctly either but I'll find out and edit appropriately.
View Quote

since you ask, i think it's "coriolis"
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure if I've spelt Coriallis correctly either but I'll find out and edit appropriately.
View Quote

since you ask, i think it's "coriolis"
View Quote

You may well be correct, lurker. I cna't seem to find a consensus anywhere but when I get home I'll look in my physics book.

Edited to say: Lurker is correct. Got plenty of hits on Coriolis. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#32]
If we have anybody on the board living in the southern hemisphere - PLEASE GO FLUSH YOUR TOILET AND REPORT BACK WHICH WAY THE WATER SPINS.

This is critical problem that the board needs solved. thank you.

[peep]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, sorry, existing compasses would continute to function the same.  Always pointing at Magnetic North (wherever it goes).  The MAP makers on the other hand will reap the windfall.  They will have to keep updating their offset angles on the quads.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[url=]http://www.sciam.com/askexpert/physics/physics20.html[/url]

Toilet flushing NOT effected by coriolawhatchamacallit effect! Now I know why I did so poorly on my 12th grade physics final.
View Quote

Yes it is.
Flush numerous toilets, sinks, etc. Watch weather patterns ,etc. They will all spin the same way. People continue to argue this but go flush 100 toilets and see what happens. Use home toilets as industrial toilets have so much suction that it is hard to notice the effect.
Near the equator the effect is substantially diminished. Reason should be obvious.
I did great in Physics by the way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd like a second opinion
View Quote

hahaha, Aimless. I know a good shrink[:D]

FWIW, I don't usually say anything here unless I'm pretty damn certain. Otherwise everyone on the site is jumping on your shit. Gets bad enough even when you're right! If you can PROVE me wrong I will sure admit it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#38]
The natural whirlpool motion of water draining is dependent on which hemisphere you're in. In the northern hemisphere, it drains counterclockwise as seen from above, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.   The effect is weakest near the equator and strongest at the poles.    Water shows no preferred whirlpool motion directly on the equator, and neither does any other fluid including air.

However, it is possible to force a whirlpool to form in the "wrong" direction by directing water jets in the appropriate direction, or stirring it. This 'wrong' whirlpool will lose strength rapidly and may eventually reverse direction if there is enough drainage to sustain a visible whirlpool.

Here's a question for you males out there:  

Let me try to put this delicately.  

You have probably noticed that when you go to relieve yourself of excess used water, the stream of water that exits your body has a definite twist or spin to it.   Would anyone
care to guess if that twist or spin is in the
opposite direction if you're in the other
hemisphere of the planet?

Or is our "barrel" rifled?  If so, what's the rate of twist?   I think I've got two groove rifling, about one twist in seven inches.

Never having had any reason to investigate, I don't know if a similar phenomenon occurs with women.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

It has occurred to me that I can probably get a significant government grant to explore this item of mild scientific curiosity.  Say, maybe 300,000 dollars or so.   Maybe I'll apply for that grant just for the heck of it.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Please wake me when it passes over Middle TN.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or is our "barrel" rifled?  If so, what's the rate of twist?   I think I've got two groove rifling, about one twist in seven inches.

CJ
View Quote

Are you sure it's not a 1 in 7 Cm twist??

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine would need to be registered as a Destructive Device, not an SBR.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Is that due to the large numbers of tweezers that have been destroyed pulling the wrong hair??? [BD]

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd like a second opinion
View Quote

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who goes to his doctor, who tells him, "You're way overweight, man.  You're fat!"  

The guy objects, and says "I don't agree.  I'd like a second opinion!"

So his doctor says, "OK, I think you're ugly too!"

Ba-dump!

[:P]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I did try the pissing thing out of curiosity when I noticed the circular path of the toilet water during urination and remembered the Coriolis effect:

Results: pissing into one side of the toilet gave a nice circulat motion. It was the left side I'm pretty sure with a resulting counterclockwise motion. Pissing into the other side resulted in an initial slight flow in the clockwise rotation, a stall, and then a sort of staionary site with bilateral flow.
Once again this supports the toilet effect by the Coriolis.

If this is due to minor perturbations in a vessel then WHY does it always go one direction in the northern hemisphere and in the opposite in the southern-just like EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!

Now, experimentation is how a scientific hypothesis is "proven". Experimentation supports my premise. Experimentation defies the random occurence hypothesis.

For someone to demonstrate the the Coriolis effect has no effect in the situations noted they must explain a reason for why this occurs, or prove via experimentation that my premise does not hold.

I'm waiting[;D]

Edited to add: Oh yeah, well... I'm really smarter.[+]:D]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?  Couldn't we just all scratch a big N over the S?

...and also would our motors all run in the reverse direction?

Would our refrigerators become micro-waves and our micro waves refrigerators?

Actually I think that would be more useful.  Have a nice cold beer, from room temp after only 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#48]
...and what about television?

Would that be the new time machine/transporter?

Instead of getting a signal you would be sucked into it.  You could go back into the show COMBAT  and fight in WWII.  You could go to Washington DC when the news is on.  Into the future watching Star Trek.

I think it would be cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top