Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 9:32:14 AM EDT
I only live about fifty miles from the NRA HQ building and have never visited.  Not the smartest thing as I'm certain many members would jump at the chance to visit the museum housed there.  I met up with ar15.com's own TailGunner to finilize a deal we had made and we both took a few minutes to scout out the museum and it's new exibit of "Hollywood Firearms."  If you ever get a chance to check out the museum, be prepared to spend at least a few hours.  The firearms they have exibited are just without equal anywhere.  The new Hollywood exibit had some very impressive fare as well.  I wonder if Sharon Stone knows here pistol belt and Colt SAA replicas from "The quick and the dead" are on display.  I'm certain she would be most pleased. ;)  Every NRA member should be very proud of their organization as the folks staffing this facility could not have been more polite or professional.  TailGunner and I were examining this rather uncoventional looking rifle based on the 1903 Springfield.  I made a guess that it was some 9mm modification as it had a long mag protruding from the receiver at two o'clock.  Wrong!  This very polite guy walks up behind us and says "It's a pedersen device, semi-auto and shoots 32 caliber ammo." This stranger was very knowledeable. Turns out he was Mark Keefe, editor of American Rifleman Magazine.  Just the nicest guy you could ever meet.  Our questions didn't bother him at all and he appeared to be in no rush.  True professional.  So I ended up having quite a nice lunchbreak looking at some super sweet one of a kind firearms and picked up some great USGI mags from TailGunner in the process.  Not a bad day at work at all.   [:D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Good deal.  Fortunately I live about 5 miles from the HQ so I have been to the museum a number of times with friends and whenever relatives come to town.  I was planning on going to check out the Hollywood exhibit soon.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You forgot to mention they have an indoor shooting range and you CAN shoot your 5.56mm AR-15 there!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I live not too far from there and have been there a few time myself.  Quite a collection. Not enough assault rifles if you ask me. A real funny thing is that there is that AR M4 type on display with a mounted bayonet. And just to show that the barrel is 16" legal, it had the barrel extended 2 inches beyond the bayonet holder ring. He..He..He...Those NRA guys didn't miss a thing didn't they?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You forgot to mention they have an indoor shooting range and you CAN shoot your 5.56mm AR-15 there!
View Quote

Yup!...There is a 50 yards underground range there.  All members and guess have to pass a written test before allowed to shoot there. All rifles and shotgun (slug only) are allowed.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The NRA museum is a MUST SEE for every firearms enthusiast.

A trip to D.C. without visiting the NRA museum is a wasted opportunity.

In it, you see "snapshots" of America, and the world. It s a beautiful thing.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been to the range a few times but never to the Museum.  I'm a far 8 miles away from it. [:D]

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have pics from the Museum? Do they have any of the ACR program rifles there?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Scientist,

I'm going back in the next few days with my digital camera.  I'll get some shots and post the highlights.  Forgot to mention, admission is free.  They are open 7 days a week from 1000 - 1600 except holidays.

They had an M14 there and the serial number was... 6  .  That's correct.  0006.  Looked like glass :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Minor brag here...I got a sneak preview of some of the collection and actually got to handle two of the items--Clint Eastwood's S&W Model 29 from "Dirty Harry" and one of the Duke's guns.  It was awesome to hold that .44 Magnum.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Minor brag here...I got a sneak preview of some of the collection and actually got to handle two of the items--Clint Eastwood's S&W Model 29 from "Dirty Harry" and one of the Duke's guns.  It was awesome to hold that .44 Magnum.

GunLvr
View Quote

oooohhhh, YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top