Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 6:18:45 AM EDT
It took me a f'ing year to find this article, so please read the damn thing!  I heard the story on the news yesterday, and could not find it on any of the local news websites for the Tampa Bay area.  I guess they don't like to post stories of people using guns to PREVENT crime and save lives!!  I didn't see it mentioned in the article, but the news lastnight, mentioned that the father did have a CCW!  INSTANT JUSTICE!!

[URL]http://www.icflorida.com/news/2002/03/blockbuster_video0318.html[/URL]
--------------------------
(03/19/02) -- One man is dead, another injured after an armed robbery in Volusia County. Two suspects were shot by the father of one of the employees at the Blockbuster Video store on Enterprise Road near Orange City.

The Blockbuster has been robbed before and out of concern for his son, Robert Shockey went to the store Monday night to pick his son up. He was armed with a loaded gun.

A gun he believes saved his and other people's lives.

After being shot in the chest during what police say was an armed robbery, 18-year-old Darius Bennett waved at our camera as he was wheeled into the hospital.

Police say Bennett and his friend James Wince both charged into a Blockbuster Video in Orange City with masks, tried to rob a clerk at gunpoint, then were both shot by a man who was inside the store waiting for his son to get off work.

"As the suspect turned the rifle on the clerk, he pulled his firearm and told him to freeze and at that time he pointed the rifle towards him and he shot him twice," said Capt. Dave Hudson of the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

James Wince collapsed to the floor and died. Then police say Darius Bennett went for the rifle.

Robert Shockey was the man inside the store waiting for his son. He says he doesn't always carry a gun, but he had it Monday night because of the robbery that had happened before at the store.

He told Channel 9 Eyewitness News he didn't want to shoot, but he says he had no choice.

"At this time our investigation has not revealed any probable cause or any reason for the VCSO to think that this was not done in self defense," a Volusia County Sheriff's investigator said.

At this point there are no charges against the man who shot the two suspects, but the suspect Darius Bennett is now charged with his friend James Wince's murder.
--------------------------------------
I love how they are charging the other suspect with his partner's murder!  That is AWESOME!  I f'ing hate criminals!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Stand by for Blockbuster to fire the guy's son. Remember, you heard it here first.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It's posted on [url=www.worldnetdaily.com]WorldnetDaily[/url]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#3]
"I love how they are charging the other suspect with his partner's murder! That is AWESOME! I f'ing hate criminals!"

Ain't Felony Murder a Bitch.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Stand by for Eric The Hun, Esq., Attorney to the Downtrodden, to represent the lad in a wrongful termination lawsuit!

Eric The(I'llLeaveThePorchlightOnForYou)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"I love how they are charging the other suspect with his partner's murder! That is AWESOME! I f'ing hate criminals!"

View Quote

Remember this cuts both ways.

If the cops raid your house for, say illegal firecrackers, and shoot your wife, YOU will be charged with her murder.

Still, I'm not loosing sleep over these scumbags.

[img]http://580wdbo.com/images/news/blockbuster.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
After being shot in the chest during what police say was an armed robbery, 18-year-old Darius Bennett waved at our camera as he was wheeled into the hospital.
View Quote

"Hi, mom!  I'm on TV!" [:D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ain't [b]Felony[/b] Murder a Bitch.
View Quote

Sure is worse than Misdemeanor murder.[:D]

Sorry bro'...just couldn't resist that one.

Sounds like justice has been done.  However, I bet this is not the end of the ordeal.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stand by for Blockbuster to fire the guy's son. Remember, you heard it here first.
View Quote

Yep.
And I hope someone starts the legal defense fund.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I was pleased that the father wasn't charged.  I think he played his cards right by not shooting until the robber turned his gun on him.  I live in Deltona, across I-4 from the Blockbuster.  This happened about 10 mins. from my house, and yes, I frequent that store.  Hopefully this will send a message.

-White Horse

Hate to say it, but that father dsaf.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#10]
aawwww, i love the smell of victory in the morning.....well really, all day too.

i consider this a victory to prove that guns are being used to save lives.  as we all know.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Post from 5subslr5 -
And I hope someone starts the legal defense fund.
View Quote

[b]Subsailor[/b], are you asleep on your watch? Did you not just see me offer legal assistance to the boy?

Send all contributions to: [b]'My Dad Whacked A Perp at Blockbusters And All I Got Was Canned'[/b] Legal Defense Fund', Scooter Hun, Treasurer.

Eric The(I'llStillKeepThePorchlightOn)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would they do that?
Blockbuster  policy is that employes are not allowed to be armed,.
I checked on it myself a few months ago. They DO NOT disallow CCW holders from carrying in the store.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]
LMAO @ TheHun!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#14]
My employer's policy is also "No Firearms on the Property" even if possesssing a concealed carry permit.  I would much rather be dismissed while still alive.....  Takin' my chances in TN.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
suspect Darius Bennett is now charged with his friend James Wince's murder.
View Quote

What?  What sort of liberal logic is that?  The kid's father shot his friend.  He didn't.  Facts are not important to prosecutors any longer.

Here, a local cop hurt someone when he made a stupid at a red light.  Because he was on his way to a bank robbery, long after it was over and there was no reason to hurry, much less drive through a redlight with his lights off, the prosecutor announced they would charge the bank robber with assault on the pedestrian.  The bank robber didn't do the assault.  He wasn't anywhere near it.  Charge the robber with, gasp, robbing the bank.  Put him in jail for a long time for that, but saying he is responsible criminally for the actions of a police officer miles away is rediculous.  A local columnist joked that if an officer gets a papercut while handling a search warrent, will they charge the suspect with assault on an officer?z
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Zoom, I believe that since he was a participant in the attempted robbry, he contributed to his "friend's" death.
He should be charged.
As for the other case, that is a [b]BIG[/b] strech.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no sympathy for criminals!!!!  It's just too bad the father was using a small caliber pistol, and didn't finish the second guy off!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ain't [b]Felony[/b] Murder a Bitch.
View Quote

Sure is worse than Misdemeanor murder.[:D]

Sorry bro'...just couldn't resist that one.

Sounds like justice has been done.  However, I bet this is not the end of the ordeal.

medcop
View Quote

Felony Murder is the terminology given to this kind of circumstance.  A felon, of say a robbery, can be charged with a felony murder if someone dies during the commission of the crime, even with no intent.

Like hitting someone in your getaway car while fleeing the bank [i]can[/i] be charged as felony murder.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Felony Murder is the terminology given to this kind of circumstance.  A felon, of say a robbery, can be charged with a felony murder if someone dies during the commission of the crime, even with no intent.

Like hitting someone in your getaway car while fleeing the bank [i]can[/i] be charged as felony murder.
View Quote

Yeah, but hit & run is already a felony isn't it?? Just because you hit someone does not make it felony murder-- they have to die first. Just ask that lady in Texas-- the one that had the guy stuck in the windsheild of her car, and he died...

Also, I saw something like this while flipping channels on TV this past week... I think it was on "The Practice" (one of those lawyer shows)... The guy wanted to go to jail so he could get an operation or something, and he kept failing to get convicted or something, so he finally robbed a bank after asking his lawyer for examples on punishments for various crimes. While robbing the bank with a note for $300 dollars, the dye-pack exploded and the security guard shot and missed, hitting the bank teller thinking it was a gun shot, thus killing her. The guy is now up for murder, and they are thinking of doing something to his lawyer to make her an accomplice of some kind... Isn't TV great? I wonder when Matlock is on next...

My question is-- if I am defending myself, someone else, or property, while a crime is being committed, and I shot and "missed" my target (i.e. the perp) because he ducked or something, and I accidentally killed an innocent bystander or police officer, wouldn't I be up on murder charges along with the actual perp? (even if I was a police officer?)

Gun control means hitting your target.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#20]
ain't no way that kid is getting fired.  how can he be responsible for the  actions of his dad?  in fact, i don't think there's any case where underage children are ever legally responsible for their parents' actions.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have no sympathy for criminals!!!!  It's just too bad the father was using a small caliber pistol, and didn't finish the second guy off!  
View Quote

I thought a .45 was a rather large caliber for a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember this cuts both ways.

If the cops raid your house for, say illegal firecrackers, and shoot your wife, YOU will be charged with her murder.

Still, I'm not loosing sleep over these scumbags.

[img]http://580wdbo.com/images/news/blockbuster.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Are you sure about your example?  Is simply owning illegal fireworks a felony?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Energizer

I am not an attorney but I do remember a few things from a Criminal Justice Course that I took many years ago. I don't think you would be charged with murder.  Murder requires premeditation and intent to do harm.  While shooting a gun at a robber does show intent to do harm you were not planning before hand to kill someone.  You may be charged with man-slaughter. I don't think you could be charged with Felony Murder either since you were defend yourself and the robber was the one committing the felony.

Maybe one of your broad attorneys can provide more information or correct me if a am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought a .45 was a rather large caliber for a pistol.
View Quote

Where did you hear it was a .45??? I saw the actual gun on the news and it looked like a .32 or a .380.  It damn sure wasn't a .45!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Several of the news accounts I've read said that the dad had a .45 I didn't see any pics though.
[url]http://580wdbo.com/news/020319blockbuster3.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

hit & run is already a felony isn't it??
View Quote

No, Depends on your state

The lady that hit the homeless guy was not committing a felony while driving.

Read this:

By Mike Moore

While working as a newspaper reporter many years ago in Chicago, I covered crime news, including trials. A trial sometimes would involve "felony murder," a curious phrase in that murder was, by definition, a felony. A common scenario for felony murder would go something like this: Two guys would rob someone-a liquor store clerk, perhaps. Only one would have a gun. At some point, the gunman would fire his weapon, killing the clerk.

If caught, both men would be charged with first degree murder, and the penalties each man faced were identical, if convicted. The guy who hadn't shot anyone would almost always cry foul. Sure, he was guilty of robbery. But he hadn't intended to kill anyone. He didn't even have a gun. He was just a tag-a-long. His buddy, whom he now knows to be unstable and perhaps even psychotic, was the bad guy.

Nonsense, the prosecutors would reply. If someone was killed during the commission of a felony, all who had participated in the felony were equally guilty. It was the felony itself that had put the victim's life at risk. Hence the informal but widely used term "felony murder." Unfair? Some of my friends thought so, when I'd describe such a case to them. The shooter was clearly guilty; but the other guy was mainly guilty of bad judgment. He just wanted to grab some cash and get out. He was a thug, not a killer.

That's an appealing argument, and sometimes juries buy it when it's presented by articulate defense attorneys. But holding people accountable for the consequences of their actions is central to our justice system, as well as to our Western system of values. If we too readily let people escape the consequences of their actions, we devalue them as individuals. In some sense, individual human beings have a right to be punished.

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#27]
In my book, someone who commits a robbery should have the same penalty as someone who commits murder.  Too bad my book doesn't count for anything!  Did I mention that I hate f'ing criminals?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top