Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 5:51:14 PM EDT
Excellent article by Joseph Sobran on the misused term Anti-American:

[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/sobran/sobran245.html[/url]

Some excerpts:

---

If, for example, you think the U.S. Government should abide by the Constitution even during wartime, you are anti-American. If you think the government should at least declare war before waging it, you are anti-American. If you deprecate a war that hurts and kills innocent people without achieving its stated goals, you are anti-American.

---

If you think that even America’s "good wars" – the Civil War and World War II – had terribly tragic results for this country and the world, you are anti-American.

---

But this original sense of measure has been lost. To judge your government by its own supposed criteria – the specific and limited powers named in the Constitution which our officials are sworn to uphold – is disloyalty and treason. Obey, or be damned!

---
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
But this original sense of measure has been lost. To judge your government by its own supposed criteria – the specific and limited powers named in the Constitution which our officials are sworn to uphold – is disloyalty and treason. Obey, or be damned!

It is a bitch isn't it?  So what can you do?

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just as long as you're not an anti-Dentite!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
History tends to reveal that Americans have always been suspicious of their government and perhaps even a bit self-critical.

But hey... that's one of the benefits of liberty and freedom!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
libery76

You aren't anti american but you sure are one sided.  There is more reporters than just this Lewrockwell guy.  Reading and researching is great and I encourage it.  However, after you read and research, formulate your own opinion and learn to write/post [i]your[/i] views instead of letting Mr Rockwell doing it for you.

Doing so deminstrates(sp?) the differance between a wise man or just a follower.

Not a flame.....just a little sage advice.

Sgtar15

PS No charge of course[;)]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, he is and yes, you are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Sgtar15: I do have my own opinion. Is it my fault that his is the same as mine? I always think carefully about what I read, and whether it is true or not.
In any case, I only post articles I find to be completely true or very interesting. There is many more I come across that he posts but I do not totally agree with.
I also like to provoke discussion. If I get one person to see the light, then I am happy.

Rik: You proved my point. If you definition of Anti-American is being true to the original Americans(the Founders), then mark me down as Anti-American. However, my definition of Anti-American is one who does not follow the ideals of the Founders, and in that case you are Anti-American. My definition makes much more sense though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rik: You proved my point.
View Quote

That's impossible. You have no point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top