Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 7:07:58 PM EDT
From HKPRO [url]http://boards.hkpro.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002164[/url]

Larry Wolff, a name any self-respecting HK collector knows and respects, is being charged with selling illegal 'assault weapons' to LAPD officers bearing forged letterheads.

I've dealt with Larry, and he is definately one of the good guys...  Looks like another BATF witchhunt to me.

Let's see, LAPD officers fake papers, LE dealer sells to them, not aware of any wrong doings.  So what do they do?  Go after the unsuspecting dealer instead of the LAPD officers!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
March 15, 2002
Dealer Who Sold Guns to Police Is Felony Suspect
Weapons: Figure in a probe of possible illegal buys by L.A. officers already faces charges.
By SCOTT GLOVER and MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A gun dealing dentist from Burbank who already faces felony weapons
charges stands at the center of an investigation into potentially illegal
purchases of assault weapons by Los Angeles police officers, according to
documents and interviews.

LAPD detectives are investigating "the illegal purchase of at least 20 assault
weapons by LAPD personnel" from dentist Lawrence Wolff, according to
an investigative report from the state Department of Justice. The precise
number of officers whose actions are being investigated is unclear.

Wolff, a licensed dealer of machine guns and assault rifles, was charged last
month in Orange County with a number of weapons violations, including
conspiracy to offer an assault weapon for sale. Charged with Wolff was Los
Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Kresimir Kovac, who was seeking to
become a federally licensed law enforcement gun dealer like Wolff. Both
men have denied any wrongdoing. An attorney for Wolff said that the Los
Angeles Police Department is out to get his client.

The men were charged in Orange County because Kovac lives in Fountain
Valley.

The charges against Wolff and Kovac stem from an undercover operation by the state Department of
Justice in which an informant was recruited to buy illegal assault weapons from Wolff.

As part of a multi-agency probe into Wolff's gun business, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
and Firearms in December seized hundreds of documents from Wolff's home detailing sales of assault
rifles to police officers. Wolff lives in Burbank and his dental office is in Encino. Like many gun dealers,
Wolff sells firearms as a sideline business. Some of those documents are suspected of having been
fraudulently prepared by LAPD officers in order to illegally buy assault rifles.

LAPD officials said they have been investigating gun transactions by officers since last June. State law
forbids the sale of assault weapons, but has an exception for any police officer "authorized by his or her
employer to possess or receive the assault weapon."

To meet the requirements of the law, an officer must present a letter on the letterhead of his or her
department giving approval to purchase the weapon. The letter must be signed by a superior.

Any officer who faked a letter to obtain an assault weapon could be guilty of a felony and face LAPD
discipline, according to state laws and Police Department guidelines.

Wolff's attorney, Robert Walters, said his client had no idea that documents offered by LAPD officers
may have been altered.

Walters added that he is suspicious about the timing of the criminal charges against his client, who could
become a witness against any LAPD officer who might have illegally purchased an assault weapon from
him. "They're trying to muddy up my client," Walters said. "The LAPD is trying to make someone else
the bad guy...."

cont...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]

cont...

cont....

According to documents, state investigators enlisted an informant to buy illegal assault rifles from Wolff.
The informant had been arrested for selling illegal handguns during another sting operation.

When the informant made contact, Wolff refused to deal with him, officials said. The informant
persisted, phoning Wolff several times to convince Wolff to give him a contact who would sell him an
assault rifle, officials said.

Finally, Wolff told the informant that he knew someone who could do so. That someone, according to
documents, was Kovac.

Prosecutors alleged that Kovac initially made the transaction but then backed out of it after becoming
suspicious of the informant.

Kovac, who has pleaded not guilty, has been relieved of duty without pay pending the outcome of the
investigation, said his lawyer, Melvyn Sacks. Sacks said his client was working for Wolff and was misled
by his boss into believing that the weapons were properly registered and legal.

Kovac, a recent nominee for the Sheriff's Department's Medal of Valor with seven years on the force, is
charged with one count of conspiracy to offer an assault weapon for sale, one count of illegally offering
for sale or selling assault weapons and 18 counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon.

Like Kovac and the officers he sold to, Wolff had ties to law enforcement. Although he lives and works
in Los Angeles County, he has served as a reserve officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
Wolff was dismissed from the department Dec. 11, one day after the raid on his home, said agency
spokesman Jim Amormino. Amormino declined to say what caused his dismissal.

Wolff's reserve position did not allow him to make arrests or carry a gun. He was, however, given a
special reserve badge emblazoned with the county's insignia.

Wolff sat on a panel of volunteers that reviewed the Sheriff's Department's firearms policies and was in
charge of developing a class for the public in gun safety.

Times staff writers Jack Leonard and Beth Shuster contributed to this report.
View Quote

[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000018969mar15.story[/url]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Another innocent C3/C2 dealer getting railroaded by the F troop.

Larry's website, while it's still up.

[url]http://www.lesales.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
They eat their own

Thats fine w/ me

And I am well aware of Mr. Wolff's fine reputation as a SOT,  but let this be a lesson to them and all licensed dealers SOT or otherwise not to sell "special" firearms to "special" people because you will eventully get the "special" treatment.

I hope it also persuades any fence sititng LE types to support RKBA w/o and compromise.

Biggame223.......wishing on a star in Az

Out
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They eat their own

Thats fine w/ me

And I am well aware of Mr. Wolff's fine reputation as a SOT,  but let this be a lesson to them and all licensed dealers SOT or otherwise not to sell "special" firearms to "special" people because you will eventully get the "special" treatment.

I hope it also persuades any fence sititng LE types to support RKBA w/o and compromise.

Biggame223.......wishing on a star in Az

Out
View Quote

Wow, that is not the response I expected.

I have bought from Larry on many occasions and he has treated me well despite the fact that I'm not a 'special' person.

Larry sells prebans and C3 transferrable to qualified civilians as well as his LE sales, so what exactly is the problem???

Just because a dealer chooses to sell to LE, does not make him a bad guy deserving of being made a scapegoat to protect a police department's reputation.

If you're inferring that Larry was willing partner in the LAPD officers' illegal transactions, I believe you are wrong.

If a LE walks into a store with a dept. letterhead, the dealer has no reason to suspect that the papers are forged.  

Please expand upon your comments...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no problem personally with Dr. Wolff.

I am not saying he was involved in any "Letterhead" forgery scams,  and from what I have read I don't think that is what they will try to hammer him on.  CA DOJ will try to get him on conspiracy because he MAY have helped to facilitate an ATTEMPTED illegal cali A/W sale.

More than likely "they" will drop the charges if he gives up his firearms business.

As for my statement about the "special" items/persons, I feel that the peace officer exemption to the crime bill/AW ban creates a caste system that in turn creates animosity such as you are reading now.  I am sure I am not alone.

Noting in life is fair,  but I don't have to like it,  or keep quiet about it.

If "peace officers" were in the same boat as a mere citizen our current gun law situation MIGHT be different.

Thanks for dealing w/ the runon sentences [8^)

Biggame223 in Az

Out
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If "peace officers" were in the same boat as a mere citizen our current gun law situation MIGHT be different.

Biggame223 in Az

Out
View Quote

I couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've dealt with Dr. Wolff on many occasions.  All I can say is any charges they have against him is JUST PLAIN BULLSH$%()*%$).  F$*_# the CA DOJ AND the horse they rode in on!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll go out on a limb here and speculate that
this is the result of an anti-RKBA attitude in the leadership of LAPD.  It is probably mirrored in other big-city PD's and some left-leaning potato-head chiefs in smaller town like that fuck-head Larry Todd in umm, Los Gatos.

He and Joe McNamara, Joseph Samuels, along with Bernard Parks, and let's not forget Bill Gaines, who didn't even carry a gun, will be remembered for what they did TO California, not what they did FOR it.

Back in my school days I thought Darryl Gates was a prick, now I wish he was back. And cloned.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
[left]IT's just the leverage they needed to shut him down that's the real goal! remember he's dealing in death, remember it's for the children.[/left]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
He oughta consider himself lucky that they didn't serve a "no knock" warrant on his ass.  At least he'll live (?) to tell his side story, instead of "good shoot, case closed", as usual.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow, that is not the response I expected.

Just because a dealer chooses to sell to LE, does not make him a bad guy deserving of being made a scapegoat to protect a police department's reputation.
View Quote

HK, you are way too polite...

I addressed this on another thread...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=101342&page=1[/url]

[b]I can't believe the "brothers in arms" attitude being extended to these LE officers by some of the members here. These POS are NOT your fellow RKBA enthusiast. They felt above the law, after all ONLY THEY were entitled to RESTRICTED WEAPONS. Real "Brother in Arms" officers would have had grandfathered in PREBANS. But rather than go through the proper channels to secure a letterhead that allows them to have MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU, they forged some.

THEY BROKE THE LAW. The same people who would put YOU in jail for less. The same people who might shoot YOU serving a warrant if YOU committed a similar crime. These guys are NOT your brother and they are NOT fellow enthusiasts. They are guys who got around the law they believe applies ONLY TO YOU.

The ONLY "BROTHER IN ARMS" is Dr. Wolff. And some of you have a real "Fuck em' for dealing with the devil" attitude. Larry is a DOCTOR and I guarantee you doesn't need the pitiful income generated by a FFL. Even worse as a LE dealer he probably makes a whole $15.00 on sales of LE rifles. Cops are as cheap/broke as they come. CLEARLY Dr. Wolff only did this as a firearm enthusiast. In that shithole state called the PRK it is the only way to touch some of these guns.

Here is where some of you will say "Move out of that hell hole." Sure, take your successful practice out of the lucrative state of Kali and go to Bumfuck, Tenn. somewhere and try and make ends meet. No offense to Tenn. Anyone who knows anything about doctors knows you don't move a successful practice.

So what are the TRUTHS?

Dr. Wolff is one of US. He got shafted by some crooked cops and it probably ain't over. And the attitudes of "some" gun owners guarantee his demise.

The officers involved are CRIMINALS. They are such complete shitbag criminals they are willing to fuck over anyone to get what they want. Even a doctor in good standing in the community. Luckily these officers can depend on a few of you to see them as PRO GUN HEROS.

And finally, Kali and the DOJ will destroy this man. No matter what truths come out, no matter what evidence is presented, won't even matter if the cops give 100% accurate signed confessions and admit to coersion. Dr. Wolff is toast. His life is for all practical purposes over. The DOJ will target him, and him alone. He may very well be a convicted felon doing hard time in the near future.

The only thing that sickens me more than this situation is "some" of the attitudes here about the situation.[/b]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Question here for the lawyerly types.

Does a snitch have a civil responsibility to tell the truth?  Does that disappear just because he got busted and can get a deal if he cooperates and lies in order to set up a bust in order to save his ass?  Sounds like fraud and bad faith to me.  

What if the snitch is a cop who is doing it not as part of an official  PD investigation, but who is a cooperating suspect in another agency's investigation?

Seems like once he breaks the law, he loses whatever LE status he has for these purposes and becomes a regular citizen like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Just goes to prove that the goal is to make us ALL criminals.
Give Cali (along with Funkstain and Boxer) back to Mexico, after all the REAL Americans move out with their weapons and ammo. AS for the Liberals, Fuck 'em. Let them live under Mexican laws.
It's time to make America a CLOSED country.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Innocent until proven guilty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top