Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:46:23 AM EDT
I just got on facebook and one of the guys I went to high school with just posted pictures of his newest tattoo that he got on his calf. The tattoo is the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagle Crest. Beneath the crest are initials. He states the tattoo is to honor his late grandfather and the initials are that of his grandfather. I am all about honoring veterans in your family but this guy has never served in the military. I say there are other more appropriate ways to honor those in your family and this is a cheesedick move as people will assume that he served in the airborne. What do you think.

UPDATE: Now he is stating that his grandfather was in Easy Company from Band of Brothers. I looked up the Easy Co. 506th PIR roster from WW2 and I don't see his name on there or any similar name with the initials HTB. This kind of stuff coming from this guy does not suprise me one bit.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Honoring his GF, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that kid needs to get out in the sun a little more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ginger?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Care I do not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

MYOB...Police shirts/5.11 pants/"Security"/FBI as long as he doesn't claim something he's not i don't care what he wears...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This, it only becomes a problem if you hear him bragging about his time served......
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a problem.
Recommend if he really wants to honor his grandfather, he could always do a tour with the 101st.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have a problem with this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ginger?

W/ out a doubt.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going with the OP on this one.  Bullshit.  Most of us honor our grandfathers with a shadowbox and picture on a shelf, not a tat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What a weirdo.  I'd never feel comfortable wearing a badge or insignia that I did not earn.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#15]

When I was a kid, I used to carry a Dick Tracy badge in my wallet.

....and I wasn't Dick Tracy.

.....hell, I wasn't even really a detective.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What a weirdo.  I'd never feel comfortable wearing a badge or insignia that I did not earn.

I would too
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Do we get upset with people who wear FDNY hats when they're not really firefighters?  Or Raiders jackets when they're not really players?  He's just promoting something he likes or supports.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
On the calf, not a problem.

On the outside right shoulder where a combat patch would be, problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok so longer as he reason for it is true, but if you ever hear him tell ANYONE that he was in the 101st you need to promptly punch him in the face.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]

For the reason he stated, I see no problem with it and actually respect his intent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do we get upset with people who wear FDNY hats when they're not really firefighters?  Or Raiders jackets when they're not really players?  He's just promoting something he likes or supports.

Fantastic.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
As long as he's not claiming he served, I say its kosher.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I just got on facebook and one of the guys I went to high school with just posted pictures of his newest tattoo that he got on his calf. The tattoo is the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagle Crest. Beneath the crest are initials. He states the tattoo is to honor his late grandfather and the initials are that of his grandfather. I am all about honoring veterans in your family but this guy has never served in the military. I say there are other more appropriate ways to honor those in your family and this is a cheesedick move as people will assume that he served in the airborne. What do you think.
http://i40.tinypic.com/23jh255.jpg
I know their name is different, but the 101st are NOT paratroops.  They were removed from Airborne status years ago.

ETA: I have no problem with this, seems he is honoring his grandfather.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know of anyone who has their own initials tattooed on their bodies, so I'm strongly inclined to believe his story.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm going with the OP on this one.  Bullshit.  Most of us honor our grandfathers with a shadowbox and picture on a shelf, not a tat.

Mmmm.... yeah, that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
It'd be better if he joins the Army and gets posted with the 82nd.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The difference is that when you see those people wearing a FDNY cap or Steelers jacket you don't think "Wow that guy is a New York firefighter or Pro football player". On the other hand if I saw a man with a Eagle, Globe and Anchor or USMC tattoo I would think that he served in the Marines. If he had the Special Forces crest tattooed on his arm I would assume that he had earned the Green Beret and served in the Special Forces.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
You think thats bad, I saw some guy with a tribal arm band tattoo...

AND HE'S NEVER BEEN IN A TRIBE!!!1111
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know their name is different, but the 101st are NOT paratroops.  They were removed from Airborne status years ago.

The 101st most certainly were Paratroopers. I know you have seen Band of Brothers. They were redesignated as an Air Mobile/Air Assault Division during the Vietnam war.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FTW!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 101st most certainly were Paratroopers. I know you have seen Band of Brothers. They were redesignated as an Air Mobile/Air Assault Division during the Vietnam war.
Can you read?

Re-read what I posted.  Nowhere did I say they WERE not.  I said they ARE NOT.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This. me out in front of
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't do it, but see no prob. I think the best solution would be to make it part of a larger piece to ensure folks don't misunderstand. I wouldn't like the questions.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't give him to hard a time about it but I do think it is moderately inappropriate if he hasn't served.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
As long as he's very clear about why it's there, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#37]
but he will still look like a poser to people that dont know the meaning of his 101st AB tat

how many people explain the meaning of their tattoos to others?

most people that saw that would assume he's a veteran
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]
If you did not serve you should not get it...he could have done something else to honor Granddad
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Ginger?

W/ out a doubt.

Ok...what is a Ginger?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#40]
something i would do no. BUt maybe they were real close and thats his way of honoring him. If he is not claiming to have served its cool with me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I have 2 German WW2 medals tattooed on my chest.

Both are fairly rare and both are held by my grandfather who like me, was a mountaineer in the German army but during obvious harder times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Definitely not appropriate. He's gonna regret that, BIG time.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have 2 German WW2 medals tattooed on my chest.

Both are fairly rare and both are held by my grandfather who like me, was a mountaineer in the German army but during obvious harder times.

Off topic, but do mountaineers still do the climb for the Edelweiss?

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Just because you can, does not mean you should
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is what I thougt after first read. I wonder if the OP would go up to someone with an tribal band and ask why, unless you are an ancient warrior, would you have that tattoo. Or what about someone with the astrological Aries symbol, would he ask "Are you a god?" HaHa. That that would be funny.

If you are really in need, and really looking for something to bitch about, have at it.

B.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I thougt after first read. I wonder if the OP would go up to someone with an tribal band and ask why, unless you are an ancient warrior, would you have that tattoo. Or what about someone with the astrological Aries symbol, would he ask "Are you a god?" HaHa. That that would be funny.

If you are really in need, and really looking for something to bitch about, have at it.

B.

It's quite simple so I will post this one more time for ya from my post above:

The difference is that when you see those people wearing a FDNY cap or Steelers jacket OR TRENDY TRIBAL TAT you don't think "Wow that guy is a New York firefighter or Pro football player OR A TRENDY TRIBAL WARRIOR". On the other hand if I saw a man with a Eagle, Globe and Anchor or USMC tattoo I would think that he served in the Marines. If he had the Special Forces crest tattooed on his arm I would assume that he had earned the Green Beret and served in the Special Forces.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

B.

If I see mr suburban-white-bread-and-mayonaise sporting a tribal armband, I can safely assume he did not spend his life in the jungle and didn't have to swin through a volcano, or battle a herd of hippos to earn it.

I will, OTOH, assume that the same guy with a US military division patch tattood on him actually did serve.

At the very least, he'll start to regret it after the ten thousandth person asks him about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#48]
What's done is done, no reason to get upset. Just laugh at him for now having something he'll probably never be able to remove from his body.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#49]
This will cause no end of hilarity if he ever does man up and go to basic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#50]
My cousin got CSM stripes tattooed on his arm in honor of our grandfather. Other than the fact he is a POS and is in no-way honoring one of the best men I have ever known in the way he lives his life, it still doesn't really bother me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top