Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2002 5:12:27 PM EDT
How do you feel about it? A friend offered me Blackhawk Down on CD. Certainly it's no substitue for the movie theatre or DVD. I'd like to see movies introduced in the home faster but...... I've downloaded free MP3's like everyone else. I would not mind paying for them but I don't like buying whole CD's just for one or two songs. I favor paying for a song if it's reasonable. I have over 5000 songs right now but really listen to less than 500. Most that I really enjoy I already own the CD. I buy VHS/DVD movies that I really like. I don't think I am cheating anyone by viewing something that I won't keep in my collection. I think the computer age is going to change the way we entertain ourselves. It's undoubtedly going to change the price of entertainment one way or another. I really want to keep the music industry and Hollywood cranking them out fast. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:21:05 PM EDT
If its out there and free, why not! I think we might run into a road block with the new anti-computer cds that hit Japan's store this month. They will not play on the computer, which basically means that they cannot be ripped into MP3's. I give the Japs 3 weeks to break the code and enable them to play the cds and rip the songs! I have the blackhawk down and can't say I enjoyed watching it on my computer with the shitty sound and visual. Music is another story!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:46:04 PM EDT
I see no problem with VCD movies and MP3's being had for free since the quality had been degraded so much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:18:36 PM EDT
Rationalize it all you want, but it's stealing. Same as if you snuck into the artists house and took money off the table.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:24:49 PM EDT
one can download a movie/song and if you like it you can go out and buy it. if you dont like it you just saved yourself some money for ammo ;) i DLed a movie. found it truley sucked. and deleted it. never a second thought about the movie at all. saved me a $3 rental or $20 DVD
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:19:59 PM EDT
Thread. Will. Be. Locked. What do you want to bet? Now, to make my contribution. If it's free I go for it. The entertainment industry is horribly bloated with money it doesn't really deserve anyway. As far as stealing from artists; the "artists" don' make much from record sales, they make most of their money from touring. Ticket sales is where almost all of their revenue comes from. The record companies do lose a lot of money to "information theft." But seriously, who fucking cares if they lose money? When they are charging $15-$20 for a CD, they asked for theft to happen because that is way too much to ask for something that only cost them maybe $.10 to produce and distribute. I can tell you from working in retail music sales that the stores don't mark up very much, maybe a dollar at the most.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:36:59 AM EDT
There you go... that was a fine rationalization. Black and white, right and wrong. If someone owns it and is selling it for more than you are willing to pay, don't buy. BTW, I agree the thread will be locked. I'll probably be well singed by the time it is too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:07:55 PM EDT
I don't see why the thread should be locked so long as it's a discussion of moral and ethical issues and not a "how to steal" thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:27:52 PM EDT
I have no problem with it. DLing a movie from Kaazaa or somewhere isn't going to stop me from buying the DVD, so in fact the studios are NOT losing any money from me. If I didn't DL the songs, I wouldn't be buying the CDs anyway because I refuse to spend $15 on a CD to get one song I like, so the studios aren't losing any money from me for that either. imashooter, you can sit there and say "that's rationalization, it's still stealing" all you want, but that won't convince me. I am not taking a single penny from the studio that it would have got otherwise, so how am I costing them money? And if I am not costing them money, how is it stealing from them?
Top Top