Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2002 9:36:18 AM EDT
Navy SEAL awarded posthumous Bronze Star
March 14, 2002 Posted: 3:58 AM EST (0858 GMT)

From Jamie McIntyre
CNN Military Affairs Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Navy has awarded a posthumous Bronze Star medal to the U.S. Navy SEAL who was killed by al Qaeda forces after he was knocked out of his helicopter in the opening phase of Operation Anaconda on March 3.

The citation for Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Aircraft Handling) SEAL 1st Class Neal C. Roberts reads in part:

"On that evening, his unit was to conduct a clandestine insertion onto a 10,000-foot mountain peak to establish an overwatch position, for an indeterminate amount of time, protecting other U.S. forces participating in the operation.

"As the helicopter moved into position for the insertion, Petty Officer Roberts positioned himself on the helicopter ramp in order to expeditiously exit the helicopter, minimizing the threat to the aircraft and crew.

"Without notice, his CH-47 helicopter received three rocket-propelled grenades exploding through the body of the aircraft.

"Hydraulic lines showered the metal ramp with slippery fluid as the aircraft lurched violently from the unexpected assault.

"Petty Officer Roberts was thrown from the ramp of the helicopter, falling onto the al Qaeda-infested mountain top just feet below.

"He immediately maneuvered to make contact with rescue forces and establish a defensive position but, surrounded by overwhelming enemy force with superior fire power, Petty Officer Roberts died on the battlefield from fatal combat wounds.

"By his zealous initiative, courageous actions, and exceptional dedication to duty, Petty Officer Roberts reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Unites States Navy.

"The Combat Distinguishing Device is authorized."

What more is there to say....
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Back to top.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its a good citation
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
May GOD bless and keep Neil C. Roberts and his family.

He is a great credit to his unit, the United States Navy, and the United States of America.

nuf said!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are threads concerning PO Roberts from SOCNET, a place to look for on special operations. Posters Frog and trident86 are Navy SEALs.

[url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13944[/url]

[url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13765[/url]

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
to put a face to the name...

Petty Officer 1st Class Neil Roberts
[img]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/thumbnails/thumb_020307-N-0000X-001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think its a good citation
View Quote

Agreed.

(I believe he punched a couple of tickets to Paradise before he went.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Amen, he died a righteous death.

Great citation.

Eric The(HonoredToLiveOnTheSamePlanet)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
i told you guys in the "outrage" thread, this wasnt a "battlefield execution" this mug went down swinging. he fell out of a helo and got up shooting! i am proud to have men like this in our sea services!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hope you took a bunch of the bastards with you!
View Quote

Agreed!

IMHO, this is an honor to a true soldier... To give his life for his country. It also angers me that one of our own died like this.

This man and his family deserves our prayers, support, and condolences.

All our service men and women deserve our prayers for serving their country.

God bless all of you that have served our country in any branch.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
God bless this man and his family!!!

True American HERO.

[usa]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The citation for Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Aircraft Handling) SEAL 1st Class Neal C. Roberts reads in part:

View Quote

It could have changed since I was active. But his rating might be a mis print. As I re-call you could only be one of the following rating in the SEALs; Boatswains Mate, Electrician Mate, GunnersMate, Radioman, Corpsman and one more I can't think of right now. I have known a few that have had to get re-classified before going into BUDs. But then again I have not been around those guys since 92.

Anycase, I am very happy to hear this. Its but a small thing compared to the loss his family is experiencing but at least it is a recognition and it signifies he did not die for nothing. Unlike the Vietnam vets in the past.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]

I don't have a story to confirm this, but I heard a different account on Fox News one day.  Basically what I heard is that the helicoptor he was in was hit by a couple of RPGs that did not detonate but severed some hydraulic lines.  One of the guys who was in a harness slipped and fell off the ramp of the helicoptor.  Roberts who was not harnessed put down his rifle to help the guy, but fell out himself.  He crawled off to hide to wait for extraction.  Another chopper came in to extract him and started receiving machine gun fire from a machine gun position.  Roberts engaged the men manning the machine gun with his pistol and killed them, neutralizing the machine gun, but lost his life in the ensuing firefight with the remaining al qaeda.  I haven't seen any other stories that support this, but this is how I want to remember him, sacrificing himself for his brothers in arms.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top