Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2002 10:48:52 AM EDT
Bought it at the Ft Worth show at Will Rogers last weekend.  Got a Champion brand Challenger series - same as their Victory series, but with speckled paint vs a gloss job.  Got the biggest one they offered, 72.5x41x28" - 1,240 lbs - 48 cubic ft.  .25" door, 10 ga body.  Composite door, internal hinge, but with only a forward cutout of the fire lining, not forward and side cutouts like some other brands - even more expensive brands.  Door seal is the single material expanding vs the plastic jacketed white fiber type - it expands at 400 deg - 200 deg hotter than the jacketed type, but I figured it was a compromise I could live with, especially with only the small forward cutouts on the sheetrock.  Speckled grey with silver scrollwork and chromed S&G dial lock and handle.  Put it in a corner of my bedroom with a rubberlined piece of carpet under it.  Plugged extension cords into the wall outlet behind it so that the outlets can still be used if need be.  Didn't bolt it down - if they can get the sob out of my house, then God meant for them to have it!  Had to remove three doors to get it in...  $1,700 - $140 tax - $175 and tax to deliver - $2,029.44 total.  Daddy's happy!!

Tate
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.  Photos my man, photos.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the buy,  I've had one for a while  and still open her up nightly just to gawk at my babies for a while.  The wife thinks I'm a nut job but who cares.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
There is talk of a law that would give you a tax deduction for buying a gunsafe in PA.

Did the delivery charge include putting the safe in your bedroom, or is that just to deliver it to your house ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for you!  Interestingly, I just had my first real safe installed yesterday too.  Not as nice as the behemoth you got, but more than adequate for my small (but growing!) collection.  

Cannon safes are good, right?  I got a lower end one, something that should work for a few years till I outgrow it and get a bigger model.  I could've done more research, but it was (what seemed to me) a good deal for a decent, if not beautiful, safe.  Ended up with $765 for safe + tax, $150 for delivery and bolt down in garage.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Tate, check with your homeowner's insurance carrier and see if they will give you a discount because you now keep all of your small valuables in a firebox: important papers, jewelry, cameras, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Tate!
Just wanted to ask-What kind of floor is all that weight sitting on?
I had to put a support post in the basement under mine, with a 4X6 spanning 3 floor joists and mine only weighs 500 lbs empty. I discovered the need for this when cracks started to develope in the plastered walls on the second floor over the safe. These symptoms took several months to appear, so what looks OK now may be very bad later. Just something you may want to think about!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Philadelphia_GunMan -
Thankfully, no state income tax in Texas - yet.  Sounds like a good law, though!

Gunbert - Congrats!  Nothing wrong with a Cannon - it should serve you well.

Jarhead22 - Will do.  I thought small valuables were ammo and mags :)  We're putting other stuff in there too - photo negatives, locks of hair from Zach's first haircut, baby teeth, new checkbooks, ect.  Oh yeah - and some guns.

DonOhio39 - Thanks for the tip, but I'm on a slab - hopefully no worries.

I thought about whipping out the personal lubricant and spanking the monkey after the safe was in place.  HA!!

(Homer Simpson voice)
Beautiful........
mmmmmmmm........
Oh yeah - got a new fridge yesterday and the wife is about to pop out a new baby......
Safe pretty.......
mmmmmmmmmmm........

Tate

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!!!

I also have a Champion safe, Victory Series, but not the largest.  (I also open up periodically and gaze at the beauties!!)

It is a top quality piece and I have been VERY happy with the purchase.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top