Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 9:15:26 AM EDT
A buddy has a pistol that looks very similar to a glock.  It is a 9mm and it sounds like he wants to get rid of it- I am not sure of the model though.  Has anybody have any experience with these and know what it may be worth?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the S&W Sigma. A friend of mine has one in .40 S&W, but she kept having feeding problems with it that were eventually traced to lack of cleaning in certain areas. I think they're getting around $300 for them used, but I'm not real sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a Sigma.  Definately shoot it first.  More often than not, people really complain about them.  Feeding problems, and magazines that eject themselves whenever they want to.

Mine functions perfectly.  No complaints about it at all.  Unfortunately, this seems to be the exception and not the norm...
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Others are correct, [b]S&W Sigma[/b] and I agree this is not a handgun I'd want.

Apparently a3kid got the only good one they made. :)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Others are correct, [b]S&W Sigma[/b] and I agree this is not a handgun I'd want.

Apparently a3kid got the only good one they made. :)

Mike
View Quote

Wrong.  They made two good ones.  I forget the guys handle, but he did verify that he got the other one.

[:D]

The beatings I've gotten over saying it's good pistol.....makes my head hurt thinking about it.
I used to think it a matter of how the pistol was held...but my 15 year old daughter shoots it and it functions fine for her too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a S&W Sigma 40F and I will state for the record that it was the worse piece of crap I have ever owned!  The gun came from the factory with tooling marks in the barrel and I had a few problems with jams and the like.  

WHAT REALLY pissed me off however was the fact that the frame split lengthwise starting under the muzzle towards the grip.  By the time I realized it had split we were at the bench and the frame had a 1-inch split down the middle!

Now, I will  be fair that S&W did replace it as well the should with their lifetime guarentee but as soon as the new gun came in I sold it and bought a Glock!  I have never seen a Glock do what that Sigma did and I would NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN!

If this is one of the mini-9mm blowback sigmas, you are really asking for trouble as these were well known to split and S&W stopped making them pretty quick!  I don't remember what the model number for these were but you can tell them apart as there is no slide catch when the mag is empty.

Buyer Beware!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wrong.  They made two good ones.  I forget the guys handle, but he did verify that he got the other one.
View Quote

That would be me.  I owned a Sigma 40F.  Felt good in my hand, grouped well and fed everything that I put through it.  I only sold it because I moved up to a .45.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one and it was ok..I never had any major problems with it but did hear some NASTY storys about them.  The two models that I think they came out with was the V & F.  The V was the very bad one if I remember right.  I would give them about $5 for the V and $50 for the F.  I am not a Glock fan at all but I would total suggest you save your $$$ and buy a Glock if you cant afford a Sig Sauer.
My .1/2 cents
Riz
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I am the owner of a Sigma 9F which was produced sometime in 1994 and purchased new.  For the longest time I had problems with it stove-piping, so I shot it very little.  Finally a couple of years ago I decided to keep shooting it to see if it just needed breaking in, and after putting a few hundred more rounds through it, it now functions flawlessly.  In fact, it's my carry gun.  And it's [i]quite[/i] accurate for a pistol with a 4 1/2" barrel.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
This is completely off topic, but Riz, do you, or did you several months ago, play Red Faction a lot?  I had the demo, and the best person i ever played against went by the handle of Riz.  Saw the name and curiosity got the best of me.

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like a Sigma.  Definately shoot it first.  More often than not, people really complain about them.  Feeding problems, and magazines that eject themselves whenever they want to.

Mine functions perfectly.  No complaints about it at all.  Unfortunately, this seems to be the exception and not the norm...
View Quote

Quoted:
I had a S&W Sigma 40F and I will state for the record that it was the worse piece of crap I have ever owned! The gun came from the factory with tooling marks in the barrel and I had a few problems with jams and the like.

WHAT REALLY pissed me off however was the fact that the frame split lengthwise starting under the muzzle towards the grip. By the time I realized it had split we were at the bench and the frame had a 1-inch split down the middle!

Now, I will be fair that S&W did replace it as well the should with their lifetime guarentee but as soon as the new gun came in I sold it and bought a Glock! I have never seen a Glock do what that Sigma did and I would NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN!

If this is one of the mini-9mm blowback sigmas, you are really asking for trouble as these were well known to split and S&W stopped making them pretty quick! I don't remember what the model number for these were but you can tell them apart as there is no slide catch when the mag is empty.

Buyer Beware!
View Quote

[red] [size=5] [b]Told you so![/b] [/size=5] [/red]

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be me.  I owned a Sigma 40F.  Felt good in my hand, grouped well and fed everything that I put through it.  I only sold it because I moved up to a .45.
View Quote

I knew they made two...
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#13]
a3kid:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nimrod1193:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a3kid:
I knew they made two...
View Quote

[b][u]They made at least three![/u][/b]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
a3kid:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nimrod1193:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a3kid:
I knew they made two...
View Quote

[b][u]They made at least three![/u][/b]
View Quote

Well, great then!  I'll have to change my story...[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top